Expiration dates ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Expiration dates ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Default Expiration dates ?

Anybody know how far past the expiration dates it is safe to consume typical canned goods, green beans, corn, chili, etc. Also, why is there an expiration date on bottled water ? Would you be better off to store tap water since it is chlorinated ?

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2012, 03:30 AM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That's some good questions.
I wouldn't fully trust expired goods, even in a can, but I think they would be good for quite a while past their date as long as the can isn't damaged. I can't give even a good guess how long though. I would go with the sniff test. If it smells bad, it is. If it doesn't, I would just cook the hell out of it if it is expired.

Water, I store in gallons, cool dark place, chlorinated, rotate every year at the minimum.

Notdku told me of another forum of his, you'll likely find some great answers there
www.preparedsociety.com
A site for preppers.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #3

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Thanks Trip, for the feedback, and the link.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 10-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #4

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Welcome. Hope I don't kill you with bad advice...

Old 10-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8828 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

The "expiration date" on food is generally the "best consumed by" date. Food begins to lose flavor and some vitamins, however, I have eaten military C-Rations (canned food items) that were about 18 yrs old- and am still walking around. Cool, dry, and dark are best for ANY food storage.

IF a can is bulged (typically can ends are pushing out) DO NOT OPEN. If the food has bad smell, off color, do not eat. Dented or rusty cans- pass. Some reading for you- links to a dozen or more articles: http://grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

As far as water- no, does not go bad. There can be concerns about very long term stored water picking up chemicals from plastic containers, but the containers meant for beverages (usually PET) limit that a great deal.

You would be better off storing a bit of chlorine (bleach- 5.25% sodium hypochlorite) and using that to treat water a couple of hours before using it. Water that has been chlorinated will gradually lose chlorine when stored- and if water is contaminated later, there may not be adequate residual chlorine to kill the bugs.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 10-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #6

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Water doesn't go bad in and of itself -- C3 is right. But stagnant water has to have a certain microbial equilibrium that I'd disinfect with a little chlorine. Tap water might have FLOURINE in it for teeth. 1 lb. of chlorine pool shock will treat 9-10,000 gallons and costs a few dollars. Chlorine solution loses its efficacy with time -- consider it to have a 6-month half-life.

As for expiration dates on foodstuffs, the longer you prep the more likely you are to dismiss them to one extent or another...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 10-28-2012 at 04:51 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #7

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

what expiration dates?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 10-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #8

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

C3 hit the nail on the head...........

with the cannin technology and "safety" practices <he said with a sneer> of cannin now-a-days, the only real reason the dates are on the cans is to give a good indication of "taste, color, and nutrient" decline.

as for edibility, it will be good as long as the can is FULLY intact, meaning no holes. a lil rust won't kill ya, BUT a pressurized can WILL! if either of the can's ends are convex (bent/bowed out), THROW THEM AWAY! same with home canning, if lid is convex, throw it away. bacteria has accumulated inside to the point where they have given off enough CO2 to pressurize the can. BAD, BAD NEWS!

as for water, because it is bottled, the FDA makes the manufacturers put a date on it only for safety precautions. it's better to be safe than sorry.

stored water outta the tap is different, it is chlorinated. it is considered "safe" to drink........outta the tap. once you bottle it, you assume full responsibility for the safe storage and consumption of it.

water is good for a LONG while, but it goes flat. once it goes flat, it tastes like s!-!it, almost not palatable. aerators on the ends of your interior faucets help with this problem when your get it outta your sink @ home, so pouring half of a container of water into another container and shakin the hell outta it tends to put the oxygen back into the water and "refreshes" it for drinkin. if in doubt about drinkin the water though, either add chlorine (Chlorox) to the water (as mentioned by C3) or boil.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

People Like This 
Old 10-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #9

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

most that store tap water try to rotate it about every 6 months.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1879 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 2116

Default Home canning......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
most that store tap water try to rotate it about every 6 months.
we cleaned out my mothers home from top to bottom. We came across a jar of mustard greens that were canned. It was 22 years old. my mother fried some salt pork and onions and in went the mustard greens. They were still good after all this time.......Know what to look for when foods go bad..... I let my wife do this, shes almost expendable.......lol.....Water never gets old, make sure you boil it, it might taste like chit but its still water......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This