Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > "exotic" water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default "exotic" water

So, doing some research on water puirifiers (specifically the Berkey filters) and I thought of something. I was watching a show (I believe Man VS Wild) where the guy used a snake skin to hold his pee, and later to drink it. Now that can't have been a pleasant experience but it got me thinking. If you could drink it straight up, why couldn't you filter it first?

So with something like a Berkey, if there was absolutely no other source of water, in a pinch would that work to clean it up and make it a bit more palatable?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Palatable?

I dont know about palatable, but I am sure the fter.wod take out alot of stuff and some form of liquid would come out... Dont know if it would be close enough to being water to matter though

Old 09-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8310 Times on 3592 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Problem with drinking urine (besides the emotional aversion, smell and taste) is that it is a waste product. Besides water, it is loaded with uric acid and salt- WHICH YOUR BODY IS TRYING TO GET RID OF.

A filter removes solid things. It does not remove dissolved things. The only "filter" that I know of that will do that is a reverse osmosis unit- and THEY are water hogs. You could distill it- and when in country where water could be a problem, I keep a length of plastic tubing and a sheet of poly in my pack- solar still is easy to make.

Under EXTREME circumstances, you may be able to STRETCH available potable water by cutting it with urine, but it is a similar effect to breathing in and out of a plastic bag. Running that air through a filter will not replace oxygen that was consumed from the air.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #4

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

a filter that contains charcoal will remove certain dissolved things. So will some regular filters when you get to the .1 and .2 micron size. An R/O filter is just a regular filter with VERY small holes for the water to pass thru(actually seep thru). That said I will plan ahead so I will not be drinking urine. I will save mine for you if you want it.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It's not THAT bad. It greatly reduces the amount of water you lose (though sweat still takes a lot) AND it whitens your teeth. Win win, right?

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 09-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #6

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

ploofy do I understand that you have tried this? I'm so sorry dude, that has to suck. personally I don't think I would pull a Behr Grills unless I just didn't have a choice. as far as being a waste product, I'm sure it will wet you throat which will at least offer some relief.