Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > An excellent read!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default An excellent read!

I just finished "Lights Out" by David Crawford. It's fiction and it takes place after an EMP event. It details how a neighborhood survives by getting together and pulling together.

Although it's fiction, it contains an amazing amount of real information for survival after SHTF. It made me re-think some of my preps as well as giving me some good ideas.

I found it to be a page turner and I highly recommend it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I downloaded the pdf of Lightsout a few months ago and had a hard time getting into it. Still haven't gotten back to it.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 09-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It starts out a bit off and slow, but it gets good pretty fast.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #4

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I guess I should give it another go. Thanks for the heads up.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #5

Default I tried, I really did,

But as soon as it got into "you've been chosen to join us because you're a good protestant" I had to put it down, leave the room, and hurl.

To put it another way, I've got a pretty solid list of people I'll have joining my cabal after the SHsTF and none of them were invited based on whether or not they go to church.

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

Old 09-17-2011, 03:49 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Keep reading. I don't want to give any plot points away, but it's worth continuing.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:59 AM   #7

Default I'll give it a shot.

All right, based on your say so, I'll give another try. I'll skip over the churchy stuff. ;-)>

I work in an office so it did get me thinking about what I'd do if the SHTF while I was away from home. In truth, my office is only 2 miles atcf from my house so I can make it home quick, even on foot, (10 minutes if I had to) also staying off the roads by hoofing it down the light rail tracks which run right past the office and also within 100 yards of the house. I may not be as heavily armed when I'm not home (for the time being, but that's being rectified) but I've got enough sneaky little hideouts that I could, in a pinch, make it home from virtually anywhere in the city, even if it's gone bad...

Old 09-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There isn't any churchy stuff. Give it a go.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357
I just finished "Lights Out" by David Crawford. It's fiction and it takes place after an EMP event. It details how a neighborhood survives by getting together and pulling together.

Although it's fiction, it contains an amazing amount of real information for survival after SHTF. It made me re-think some of my preps as well as giving me some good ideas.

I found it to be a page turner and I highly recommend it.
I just started it yesterday night, got it for my iPad for $7.99. On chapter 10, so far I think its a good book. I agree it is a page turner and has already taught me a thing or two. Due to financial reasons I have been unable to do any prep to date, but with the wife finally done with school and starting her new job in October that will change. I look forward to picking up some ideas from the book as well as many from the forums regarding prepping here. I have a lot of supplies to catch up on.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #10

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

making a trip to the library today, soon as I pick the kid up from school. Gotta check this out.