Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Enough Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:51 AM   #191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

OK, here's what I"m hearing WAY too often in this thread. Having more than (insert around 1K number here) is just dumb. And there's the I hate when I can't find ammo. Well guess what Spanky, I can't stand not being able to find ammo. So I buy components and/or live ammo whenever I see a price I can live with. Do I need it? Damn right I do! Because when I want to shoot I am going to. And when I have to shoot I'm going to. Defensive proposes? If I was some who knows who and I knew I was walking into some place where there was a good chance the person had thousands of rounds I don't want ot go there. The person could hole up in there and take shots till hell froze over. But all that aside, After Obama Administration v1.0 ammo got short in supply and more expensive. And I just didn't like it at all. So changes had to be made. No more keeping a box or two around to poke holes in targets or whatever needed an extra hole. There's LOTS of boxes. and components to make more. I'll probably never need to obtain another pistol brass case in my life. Thank you lazy public range shooters!! Same for long gun ammo as well. Frankly, there is no such thing as too much ammo or too many things to fire that ammo from. If you think you have enough great, but one time you don't have it I don't want to hear a thing. The chance was/is there to make sure it didn't happen.
I'm not being greedy or stockpiling for war. I like to shoot..a lot. And I want to be sure that I'll be able to do that as long as I want to. If bad things do happen, well I'm getting old and I'm way too broke down to bug out. I wont have to carry a thing. And I have my own water source and keep livestock. I can make electricity as well. Not a prepper or anything, I live in the country...Stuff happens and sometimes you're stuck.

So get as much as you believe you need. And I guess that's enough. For me I will just keep on keepin' on like I have. I like to have 2k per pistol caliber on hand. I keep a good bit of 5.56 and 7.62x39 as well. Misc shot gun rounds goes up and down but I like to get a couple boxes when I go to a store that sells them if I see a price I like The others not quite as much as I don't use them near as much. So they fluctuate more.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 11-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #192

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

So I'm walking through Walmart after work to grab something and decide to swing by the sporting goods department. When I get there I see a sweet sight and the guy has the ammo cart out loading the case. They didn't have everything I wanted to get but I did nab 2 250 round Remmington 45 ACP packs and 5 100 round boxes of federal 9mm. I wish I could have gotten more but the wife would have killed me.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #193
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7790 Times on 4499 Posts
Likes Given: 10036

That's why you should always walk around with a few hundred dollars in C-notes in your wallet. The wife should never know about it!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #194

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
have you not read some this guys posts?
Oh I have, saw what it was immediately, and concur with you all still (but I, for one apparently, really can't comment...).

Last edited by HockaLouis; 11-29-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #195

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I wish I was 21 Walmart won't sell me .22lr ammo I asked the lady behind the counter what the lr in .22lr meant and she didn't even know what it meant I had to tell her it meant long rifle.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #196
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1704 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 5195

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
have you not read some this guys posts?
I for one am listening closely and learning much.

If there ever is a social breakdown or apocolypse, the is the first one I want on the team. He won't needlessly go through ammo, he will stay hidden and due to his canabilism, HE will not go through my food supply. I will however, keep him away from my dog.

now, back to counting ammo . . .
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #197

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger22lr View Post
I wish I was 21 Walmart won't sell me .22lr ammo I asked the lady behind the counter what the lr in .22lr meant and she didn't even know what it meant I had to tell her it meant long rifle.
Did you tell her its for a rifle? If so they can't refuse to sell em to you

Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #198

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

I've just recently started getting carded to buy ammo at my local walmart. And the question of if it's getting used in a rifle or handgun. I can't go in my LGS to get ammo they try to take advantage of people. With there high prices. So I only get it at Walmart or cabelas when I pass it once a month to drill.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #199

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

Same happening out here. LGS are feeding into the fear mongering and have raised prices to take advantage. This is making me more motivated then ever to get my Dillon reloader.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #200
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7790 Times on 4499 Posts
Likes Given: 10036

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
Well, back to the ammo.
After 10 hours of counting ammo, I have determined that I still don't have enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
now, back to counting ammo . . .
It goes much faster if you count it by the box rather than one round at a time.

I save time by having cabinets for different calibers. I mark a white board on the door of each cabinet as to how many rounds are inside and then change it as ammo is removed or added. For calibers for which I have larger amounts of ammo I have a different cabinet for each type (say for 5.56 I have one cabinet for 55 grain FMJ, one for .55 grain green tip AP, one for the incendiaries, one for the 62 grain and so on- for the tracers which I am low on inventory (gotta stock up) I keep those meager 10,000 rounds in with the primers I use for my .223 reloading. I also keep all of the components for 5.56/.223 stored in just one shipping container with the ammo (though its getting pretty tight in there now). There is one shipping container that has the cabinets for all of the stuff that I don't shoot very often (the .454 Casull, .44 magnum, .25ACP,) of the calibers that I have ammo for but no guns (.45ACP, 45/40, .308, 7.62x54, 45/70- though that last I have just gotten a rifle for so I will be getting more components for it) then there is another container for the general casting and reloading tools and such. So anyhow, if I want to do an inventory it only takes a day or two.