Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Enough Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #161
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1063 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I don't think great quantities of ammo would be really necessary. In a SHFT situation I would be shooting a hell of a lot less ammo then I shoot now. I can't ever imagine "needing " more than 1000 rounds, unless you wanted it for trade items. I think trading, using ammo as currency could be too dangerous anyway. I would rather the people around me be without any ammo.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Seven Likes This 
Old 11-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #162
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7674 Times on 4429 Posts
Likes Given: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I don't think great quantities of ammo would be really necessary. In a SHFT situation I would be shooting a hell of a lot less ammo then I shoot now. I can't ever imagine "needing " more than 1000 rounds, unless you wanted it for trade items. I think trading, using ammo as currency could be too dangerous anyway. I would rather the people around me be without any ammo.
I don't know about it being too dangerous, perhaps in some situations it might be. No way to tell in foresight, but in a EOTWAWKI situation I will say that once I had my 1000 rounds for each caliber then anything more can be used for trade or whatever. Anybody wants to trade for ammo they better be bringing gold because I think I've got everything else I'll be needing. Gold would be worth much, much less than ammo at that point.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #163

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I think Chainfire's point is that all your ammo and everything else can be taken away from you with just one of those cartridges you trade away. And that's true.

We plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I think Chainfire's point is that all your ammo and everything else can be taken away from you with just one of those cartridges you trade away. And that's true.

We plan for the worst and hope for the best.
What you say is true, whether it is what Chain was saying or not. My point is that if you have a good defensive position and people are coming to you for ammo, you have the upper hand and they know it. Personally when neighbors have questions about prepping or guns in general they generally come to me. The few deputies that I know have said that when the order comes down to confiscate firearms they will be passing by my place. They say this half jokingly because they also say they would not follow such an order in the first place. I say this as someone who does not consider himself to be a "prepper", but I do try to be prepared for uncertain events in the future. most of the stuff I have has come to me through means other than purchasing, none of it illegal or immoral or anything, just the fruits of good fortune I guess. I guess I'm rambling a bit.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #165

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 69

The only ammo I would be willing to trade or sell would be .22lr since I would have plenty of it.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #166

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Exactly Vikingdad; you're rambling.

Seriously though, things would have to be very, very, stable or very, very, desperate for me to trade ammo. Actually, I see myself more likely to be giving it out to select folk...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 11-26-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Exactly Vikingdad; you're rambling.

Seriously though, things would have to be very, very, stable or very, very, desperate for me to trade ammo. Actually, I see myself more likely to be giving it out to select folk...
Probably me too. Nothing for free though. You have to bring something in trade or it isn't going to work. You give it to them for free and they will come back for more when they run out- which they will. Its just like government welfare.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #168

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

there's no such thing anymore as "having the upper hand". it's VERY easy to sneak within any point of the map, within 300 meters, at night, and no nvd scope is going to see you. use your poncho, hammock an local vegetation to form a ghillie suit on the spot. Dig or find a small declivity, cover up with the guillie, and lay still all day and nobody is gonig to see you. Fire at near dark, and vanish in the darkness.

There's no reason to bother with more than 200 rds of your centerfire rifle ammo, a few magsfull of centerfire pistol ammo, and at most 1000 .22's, for trading material. the animals are going to be long gone within a month or so of shtf, and once everyone is out of centerfire ammo, a sound suppressed .22 autorifle will be where it's at.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #169

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonney
there's no such thing anymore as "having the upper hand". it's VERY easy to sneak within any point of the map, within 300 meters, at night, and no nvd scope is going to see you. use your poncho, hammock an local vegetation to form a ghillie suit on the spot. Dig or find a small declivity, cover up with the guillie, and lay still all day and nobody is gonig to see you. Fire at near dark, and vanish in the darkness.

There's no reason to bother with more than 200 rds of your centerfire rifle ammo, a few magsfull of centerfire pistol ammo, and at most 1000 .22's, for trading material. the animals are going to be long gone within a month or so of shtf, and once everyone is out of centerfire ammo, a sound suppressed .22 autorifle will be where it's at.
Maybe 1 person out of 40 has the patience and discipline to be able to do that. If you think you do then tell us please where you got it.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #170
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19599 Times on 11124 Posts
Likes Given: 49351

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonney View Post

just curious, if you were planning on vanishing into the darkness, why even shoot in the first place?

also if you think everyone will be out of centerfire ammo, you might be dead wrong! some of us reload, so we can reload for quite a while.

personally i think your ideas are extremely flawed and reek of watching too apcolypse type movies!

nice try as we do need some intertainment here!

Last edited by Axxe55; 11-27-2012 at 11:41 PM.
People Like This