Enough Ammo? - Page 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Enough Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #141
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
You are right about not saving money on the .223. But you can make much better ammo than you can buy for the same price. I reload 9mm. But I pour my own lead. So it is really cheap. I can reload 100 rounds of 9mm for less than $4.00
the reason i don't reload 9mm is simply because i don't shoot as much as i use to anymore. the only reason i have a 9mm pistol is the simple fact that i have had it for many years and really like the pistol, more out of being kind of sentimental about the pistol.

223 is just for my AR carbine and regular factory FMJ ammo suits my needs just fine for it.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #142
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

There are only two times you have too much ammo.

A. You are on fire.
B. You fell off the freakin' log into the river.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

willshoum Likes This 
Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #143

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Probably not armour piercing per se, no. A steel core is probably just "penetrating" and importable/salable.

Now about that pitiful quantity of .223...
Don't have a gun that currently shoots .223 working on getting one after my SKS or before I get one

Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #144

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default I Reload 9mm For The Same Price As Cheapo .22 LR!

I always splurge on the Russian-made .223 -- you just can't put a price on that kind of quality.

But seriously, why is it reloaders always seem to cut the price of their reloading in half. They "exagerate" if not skip-costs altogether. Usually, after interogation, it is some form of "But I already had..." Fill in the rest.

...the reloading equipment, the bullets granpappy bequethed to me, a sleeve of primers before they quadrupled in price and were being imported from Russia... RUSSIA! Then there's "I precipitate lead out of our tap water so it's free," "I got the powder from Cabela's with a gift certificate I won in a raffle so it doesn't count," or "I don't have a life so it doesn't matter how long it takes me" of which there's the unsafe variation "I reload while I'm watching Idle American."

Always something such that basically no-one else could ever reasonably get close to the same price!

Oh, and let's not forget the magic calculations that would land a CPA in jail. 7,000 grains of IMR123 is good for 3,000 rounds of ammo, and one plus one equals what-do-you-want-it-to-be.

Honorable mention goes to the guy who figures the cases are free when they leap out of the range's recycling pail into his pocket when no-one is watching. And heaven will bless he who freely acknowledges cases are even necessary to have in the first place with an-always calculable cost element.

So many fish stories over so many years. Like addicted gamblers, reloaders will always tell ya they're ahead of the game. They get annoyed when you point out that's just not true and get angry when you prove it. I dare not even MENTION lower reliability without getting attacked, I'm sure.

• "Welcome to Reloaders Anonymous."
  • "Hi. My name's HockaLouis, and, well, I'm a degenerate reloader."
  • "HI HOCKALOUIS."
  • [Just eleven more steps to go...]

Tomorrow's post: engines that run on water!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 11-24-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #145
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
I always splurge on the Russian-made .223 -- you just can't put a price on that kind of quality.

But seriously, why is it reloaders always seem to cut the price of their reloading in half. They "exagerate" if not skip-costs altogether. Usually, after interogation, it is some form of "But I already had..." Fill in the rest.

...the reloading equipment, the bullets granpappy bequethed to me, a sleeve of primers before they quadrupled in price and were being imported from Russia... RUSSIA! Then there's "I precipitate lead out of our tap water so it's free," "I got the powder from Cabela's with a gift certificate I won in a raffle so it doesn't count," or "I don't have a life so it doesn't matter how long it takes me" of which there's the unsafe variation "I reload while I'm watching Idle American."

Always something such that basically no-one else could ever reasonably get close to the same price!

Oh, and let's not forget the magic calculations that would land a CPA in jail. 7,000 grains of IMR123 is good for 3,000 rounds of ammo, and one plus one equals "what do you want it to be."

Honorable mention goes to the guy who figures the cases are free when they leap out of the range's recycling pail into his pocket when no-one is watching (let alone that they're necessary to have in the first place too, always with a calculable cost)...

So many fish stories over so many years. Like addicted gamblers, reloaders will always tell ya they're ahead of the game. And they get angry when you point out (violent when you prove) it's just not true. I can't even MENTION lower reliability without getting a yellow flag here, I'm sure...

Hock do you reload? most people i know don't reload to save money, but to make more affordable premium ammo. i don't have to justify why i reload to you or anyone else, because i enjoy reloading and for me whether i save money or not, that's enough justification for me.

and if you purchase all of your components in bulk, yes you can reload cheaper than some factory ammo. biggest cost are the cases and bullets. once you have cases on hand, the cost of reloading goes down quite a bit.

and some cartridges are much more cost efficient to reload rather buying factory ammo. many people reload for making a specific reload that is much more accurate than factory produced ammo is capable of. some people reload because of lack of availablity of specific ammo for a rare or obsolete caliber. everyone has their own reasons for reloading.

with today's current fuel quality, engines running on water isn't as far from the truth as you think!

Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 AM   #146
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1306 Times on 850 Posts
Likes Given: 2741

Quote:

Oh, and let's not forget the magic calculations that would land a CPA in jail. 7,000 grains of IMR123 is good for 3,000 rounds of ammo, and one plus one equals what-do-you-want-it-to-be.

Honorable mention goes to the guy who figures the cases are free when they leap out of the range's recycling pail into his pocket when no-one is watching. And heaven will bless he who freely acknowledges cases are even necessary to have in the first place with an-always calculable cost element.

So many fish stories over so many years. Like addicted gamblers, reloaders will always tell ya they're ahead of the game. They get annoyed when you point out that's just not true and get angry when you prove it. I dare not even MENTION lower reliability without getting attacked, I'm sure.

• "Welcome to Reloaders Anonymous."
  • "Hi. My name's HockaLouis, and, well, I'm a degenerate reloader."
  • "HI HOCKALOUIS."
  • [Just eleven more steps to go...]

It's a recycling pail and I'm recycling the brass. What's the problem?

Reloading does cost more than what many realize or will admit, but it is still the way to go. There is a large up front cost for all of the equipment but that's generally a one time purchase. And I don't count that cost in my ammo. A press does cost money but it holds it value and could be sold along with most of the other equipment if desired. So yes that equipment costs money but it also continues to be worth about what you paid for it if you bought it used (which I did). You could add the potential interest that you could have made on the cash spent but with inflation and interest rates being what they are you're probably coming out ahead having that money in reloading equipment instead of the bank or cash?

Components will cost from now on but the cost isn't that bad. The most expensive part is the brass and it can be reused many times if you neck size. And for me brass hasn't been very expensive. I've been surprised at how many people give me brass that they've saved thinking they might one day reload (I also had a ton of brass that I saved thinking the same thing).

There is more to reloading than many will admit but again it's still the best way to go, or it is for me anyway.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #147
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8466 Times on 4903 Posts
Likes Given: 11028

Hockalouis, I actually have gotten a well stocked depot full of components and several presses with dies for more calibers than I have and quite a few I had never heard of before- all was given to me by a few grieving widows (got a boat load of ammo and a few guns too!). Seriously. I have been given so many presses now that I give them away to friends who want to get started on their own with reloading. same with the casting equipment. I scrounge brass off the range (any range I go to I bring a couple of 5 gallon buckets and try my best to fill them up) in addition I ask everybody that I know to save their brass for me, and any time I am at the range I ask everyone else who is there at the time if I can have their brass. I hoard all of the empty brass I can use (including the calibers that I hope to have one day) and sell the scrap to the recycler for pretty good money. I do have to buy powder and primers though. I have enough bullets in the calibers I shoot most often to last through Armageddon. No, seriously, I do.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #148
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8466 Times on 4903 Posts
Likes Given: 11028

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
There are only two times you have too much ammo.

A. You are on fire.
B. You fell off the freakin' log into the river.
I'll raise you this: You don't have enough ammo when;

A. You are still breathing.
B. Obama is President.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #149
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Viking- just remember the old quote from Heinlein-

"There is only one way to console a widow- but consider the risk."

Loius- re: costs- I would be hard put to rleoad 9mm parabellum with jacketed bullets, and beat the price of ammo I can catch on sale. However, I inherited a Winchester Model 71. They were only made in .348 Winchester. Retail is $65-$75 per 20 rounds. I can justify the price of a set of dies real fast.

I also load 185 gr .357 magnum. I can't BUY that in the store.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 11-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #150

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Hock do you reload? most people i know don't reload to save money, but to make more affordable premium ammo. i don't have to justify why i reload to you or anyone else, because i enjoy reloading and for me whether i save money or not, that's enough justification for me.

and if you purchase all of your components in bulk, yes you can reload cheaper than some factory ammo. biggest cost are the cases and bullets. once you have cases on hand, the cost of reloading goes down quite a bit.

and some cartridges are much more cost efficient to reload rather buying factory ammo. many people reload for making a specific reload that is much more accurate than factory produced ammo is capable of. some people reload because of lack of availablity of specific ammo for a rare or obsolete caliber. everyone has their own reasons for reloading.

with today's current fuel quality, engines running on water isn't as far from the truth as you think!
.45 Colt Need I say more?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
axxe55 Likes This