Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > End-Times multi tool and flashlight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Why is everything more expensive from the manufacturer? Looked at the SOG site, the Twitch I paid $40 for was $70.

Steep & Cheap looks promising.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:41 AM   #12

I carry one like Dillinger's every day at work. It's in a mag pouch (I can not remember the maker) as the original nylon thing that came with it self-destructed.

I went through a lot of 'super flashlights' and they can not tolerate the beating of daily industrial use. My light of choice is a AA Maglight with an LED conversion. Both very good tools and almost critical to my workday.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #13

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
As the title suggests, I'm gonna get a multi tool and flashlight this weekend. My Mag Light and Buck Tool have seen better days, Mag Light technology has fallen behind, and Buck Tools are no longer made.

I appreciate all suggestions and arguments, and I don't want to spend more than $200 for the pair.
For the flashlight, I'd suggest another Maglite. They've got LED lights now that really put out some serious light from a small package:
Flashlight Review: Mini Maglite LED - Associated Content
Of course, if you plan on using your light as a club, I'd go for a regular full-sized Maglite.

I've also got the Gerber Suspension Multi-Tool. It works pretty well and feels nice and solid.
Knife Review: The Gerber Suspension Multitool - Associated Content

That might even leave you with enough money for a Marlin Model 60 or something!

Old 02-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It depends on what you need from your multitool, there are lots of models out there.

If you don't carry a knife and will rely on the blade on your multitool for everyday cutting tasks, a Leatherman Charge might be the best choice. It has one hand opening knife blades, and the plain edge one is made out of S30V. The titanium handled model is quite light for its size.

However, if you do carry a knife, give the SwissTool Spirit (or the original SwissTool) a look. It's a great tool, and the ratchet with the extra bits is fantastic (much better than the built in bit holders in Leatherman tools). It's very well built, and I like the design better than the other tools in the market. For starters, you don't need to open the pliers to reach the other tools, they open from outside the handles. The only downside is that the knife blade in the SwissTool Spirit is a serrated edge sheepfoot blade, which wouldn't be my first choice for an EDC blade.

The original SwissTool is a bit heavy to carry, the Spirit is not only lighter, but it's also a lot more comfortable to handle.

By the way, Inova is now making flashlights for Victorinox, so you can get a nice matching multitool/flashlight set.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #15

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Victorinox & Surefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
It depends on what you need from your multitool, there are lots of models out there.
That's right I've a Victorinox SwissTool Spirit Plus multitool for some task and most of the times a Victorinox Workchamp knife work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
However, if you do carry a knife, give the SwissTool Spirit (or the original SwissTool) a look. It's a great tool, and the ratchet with the extra bits is fantastic (much better than the built in bit holders in Leatherman tools). It's very well built, and I like the design better than the other tools in the market. For starters, you don't need to open the pliers to reach the other tools, they open from outside the handles...
The original SwissTool is a bit heavy to carry...
+1 with the Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit Plus!

For the flashlight I use the Surefire 6PL, It's a LED flashligt so don't eat batteries like the incandescents lights and have a decent amount of bright.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE