Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   End-Times multi tool and flashlight (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/end-times-multi-tool-flashlight-10863/)

Benning Boy 02-13-2009 04:00 PM

End-Times multi tool and flashlight

As the title suggests, I'm gonna get a multi tool and flashlight this weekend. My Mag Light and Buck Tool have seen better days, Mag Light technology has fallen behind, and Buck Tools are no longer made.

I appreciate all suggestions and arguments, and I don't want to spend more than $200 for the pair.

Dillinger 02-13-2009 04:15 PM

I got a Gerber multi-tool about a dozen years ago that is STILL going strong. The black, nomex, ballistic nylon pouch has seen MUCH better days, but that damn tool is still reliable and well built. Never had a problem and I probably have carried it, truthfully for the equivilent of 6 to 7 full years during the time I have had it.

I am currently waiting on the delivery of 5.11 Tacticals new Light for Life Mrs. JD was kind enough to pre-order as part of my Christmas present and we received notice it should be shipping "shortly". Whatever the hell that means. Check out the light and see what you think before you decide.

I have two INOVA flashlights and I have mixed reviews. The smaller T2 is excellent. Very bright, very good at lighting up the hallway for home defense or in the dark corners of the garage. Very good on battery life.

The much larger T5 is as bright as any light I have ever used, but the damn thing eats batteries like an Ethopian Kid taken to his first All-You-Can-Eat buffet. It just drains the life out of those things in nothing flat. I need to see about getting some rechargable ones because it's expensive to feed.

JD

Benning Boy 02-13-2009 04:38 PM

Do I get the sports watch if I adopt the Ethiopian kid?

Which Gerber ya got?

I'm trying to decide what tools are essential in a multi tool. Part of the reason I never liked Swiss army knives was the fact that I could live without a corkscrew, marlin spike, etc. I kinda want to streamline this as much as possible.

Dillinger 02-13-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

=Benning Boy;70809

Which Gerber ya got?
a very early edition of this one. Mine isn't black, it's kind of a brushed aluminum and it doesn't have the carbide cutters, though those would be useful. Same basic foldouts though. Also, the pliers slide out the front of the handles, you don't need to invert the handles 180 degrees like you do on the Leatherman and others. I really like it, but there are definitely, newer, better models out there.

Have you checked out the offerings from Sog Multitool?? I have a couple of their knives and they are a great product out of Lynnwood, which is local here. Great company, really good service. I don't like their trap door on the outside of the handle-thingie ( <--- Cane said that was a technical term :D ) but they have a couple of models that don't use it. Just a thought...

JD

Benning Boy 02-13-2009 05:31 PM

Ahhh SOG, hadn't thought of that, got a Twitch 2, great little knife. Not bad.

Dillinger 02-13-2009 05:34 PM

Yeah, they are a good company. Their blades come wicked sharp. Probably the sharpest out of the box knife I have ever bought. I have several, and I really liked that Twitch, but I got my Benchmade Presidio and haven't looked back.

Check them out, see what you think. I believe they even have ones that are EOD approved...

JD

user4 02-13-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 70802)
the damn thing eats batteries like an Ethopian Kid taken to his first All-You-Can-Eat buffet.

Your use of similes has grown since the founding of our friendship. I am impressed, sir.

Dillinger 02-13-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable (Post 70886)
Your use of similes has grown since the founding of our friendship. I am impressed, sir.

I owe it to reading several of your clever posts and usually laughing out loud. I realized I had to raise my game.... LOL

JD

dragunovsks 02-14-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 70802)
I got a Gerber multi-tool about a dozen years ago that is STILL going strong. The black, nomex, ballistic nylon pouch has seen MUCH better days, but that damn tool is still reliable and well built. Never had a problem and I probably have carried it, truthfully for the equivilent of 6 to 7 full years during the time I have had it.JD

Agreed, I would also have to go with the Gerber multi-tool, I found mine. Walked out of the library one day when I was still in high school and there it was lying on the sidewalk. Well built and they can cut pennies. I didn't do it but a guy I know did.

vegasjeepguy 02-15-2009 12:05 AM

Steep and Cheap is always running great deals on multitools. Just be patient and keep and eye out. I got an SOG for 60% off.