Encrypted radios?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Encrypted radios?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default Encrypted radios?

Anyone have any good recommendations for affordable encrypted portable radios?

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Trisquare makes the eSRX radio. 10 billion channels with sync'd automatic channel hopping between handsets (the sequence is based on the key you provide the handsets you configure). Channel hopping takes place two or three times a second. It isn't encrypted but it is virtually impossible to listen in on.

Range is OK out to a mile or a little more on flat terrain. Less on hilly terrain on in urban areas - similar to FRS radios.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Trisquare makes the eSRX radio. 10 billion channels with sync'd automatic channel hopping between handsets (the sequence is based on the key you provide the handsets you configure). Channel hopping takes place two or three times a second. It isn't encrypted but it is virtually impossible to listen in on.

Range is OK out to a mile or a little more on flat terrain. Less on hilly terrain on in urban areas - similar to FRS radios.

The range on most radios is just what the manufacturer is willing to say you'll get for sure. My sister and I picked up some cheap walkie talkies that were supposed to have a range of 1 mile, but they didn't cut out until she got 5 miles away in her car. We could reliably chit chat at 2 miles away.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #4

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Thanks y'all. I need a good pair of radios.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 10-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The range on most radios is just what the manufacturer is willing to say you'll get for sure. My sister and I picked up some cheap walkie talkies that were supposed to have a range of 1 mile, but they didn't cut out until she got 5 miles away in her car. We could reliably chit chat at 2 miles away.
Yeah, never go by what the packaging says. Go by what folks who've bought them say. I think Trisquare says you can get 3+ miles, but my experience with mine says different. Maybe I'll take one out on the lake sometime and leave one at the cottage and see how far away I can get before the connection is lost.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I had hills and trees between myself and my sister. and still got about 5 miles on a fluke.