EMP effects on electronic gun safes - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > EMP effects on electronic gun safes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popgun View Post
Well, I checked with Liberty and they confirmed that the electronics in their lock has nothing to protect it from EMP and would probably stop working in that event. Trying to open it with a cutting torch would ruin everything inside, so unless you had a generator and a powerful steel-cutting saw everything inside will be lost to you.

This is something to consider if EMP is on your list of SHTF concerns.
I'm betting on a plasma cutter through the bottom of the safe, where the bolt-down holes are. If i had to, i have a genny, and i think there is a neighbor with some auto cutting tools. Hopefully, any EMP would hit when i was home, with the safe unlocked and open.

Did you get the door panel that lets you hang a half dozen of your pistols on the door & has the pockets for mags & such? If not, consider it; i really like it for easy access to the pistols.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #12

Liked 1341 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Actually, the metal of the safe should offer a fair bit of shielding.
I just got a free safe, after a wanna-be burgular tried to get into it by knocking off the key-pad. This is not a gun safe, but about an 18" cube, but I suspect it is not a lot different.

On this safe the electronics are protected by a cheap plastic cover to allow access to the batteries. The circuit board is right there all exposed if the EMP makes it through my sock drawer, it is toast.

The key lock on my Sentry is in addition to the electronics, not an over-ride. If the circuit board goes, it is time for the sawzall, which would take all of about ten minutes. Or if the EMP was accidental I would call Sentry for a new board. If the EMP was from an airburst, I won't be worrying about the contents of the safe.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 10-31-2012, 05:26 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I'm betting on a plasma cutter through the bottom of the safe, where the bolt-down holes are. If i had to, i have a genny, and i think there is a neighbor with some auto cutting tools. Hopefully, any EMP would hit when i was home, with the safe unlocked and open.

Did you get the door panel that lets you hang a half dozen of your pistols on the door & has the pockets for mags & such? If not, consider it; i really like it for easy access to the pistols.
yea, I got the pistol storage on the back side of the door and I like it too. I love the electronic lock also as it takes about 4 seconds to open. Liberty said they could switch-out the key-pad for a spin-dial for about $175.

Tough choice, ugh!

"The basis of our political systems is the right of the people to make and to alter their Constitutions of Government. But the Constitution which at any time exists, till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole people, is sacredly obligatory upon all."

George Washington

If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
Romans 12:18

Old 11-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #14

Liked 928 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Quote:
If the circuit board goes, it is time for the sawzall, which would take all of about ten minutes.
I had one of those. It took me 7 min with a flat bar and hammer to get into. If it had been bolted down, that time would have been reduced. After opening, it took a ride out the 2nd story window.........

Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #15

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

Do your guys safes not have keys with them also?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #16

Liked 928 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Mine was broken. I told the wife not to close it, She did. I "opened" it. Yes, it had a key. It was in addition to , not instead of the electronic lock.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #17

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Mine also has a backup key so even if the electronic junk takes a crap Im still getting in it Wouldnt have bought it if it didnt have another means for access besides the electronic panel .

Old 11-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #18
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1800 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popgun View Post
How many of you have safes with electronic access locks? I wonder what the effects of an EMP would be on one whether from solar flare or nuke?

Wouldn't that be a gass if the very event that we were storing our stuff in safes for, turns out to be the cause of our safes being locked shut. Any body else thought about this? Better yet, anybody know if this is possible, or have a work around in case it is?

Just thinking,
I don't have the arsenal that some folks do. I only have 3 guns (2 if you don't count the SW22A ) I keep two of them locked in a GunVault that has electronic access. It also has a key that I keep nearby in case I forget the code or whatever.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5502 Times on 2872 Posts
Likes Given: 357

liberty safes arent safes they are just fancy gun lockers. the sides top and bottom are very vulnerable to things like drills and sawzalls. a big heavy safe, ill use that term for what we call safes, bolted to the basement floor and in a location that makes it difficult to access the top is ideal. if you can wedge it in somwhere that protecs the sides even better.

real safes utilize hardened plate steel not sheet metal.

anyway ive got a liberty that sits in my basement. its not coming out without specialized moving gear. took the moving guys nearly 6 hours to get it down the stairs.

emp isnt much of a real concern. anything strong enough to fry electronics through a typical house is prolly going to wipe out life on the planet.

if its a nuclear source and your affected by it your inside the blast radius.

i use a combination lock but im switching to a touchpad so the wife can use it easy.

i think a walking dead type zombie invasion is many magnitudes of higher concernn than an emp strike

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #20

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Our next house , which will be very soon once we get ours sold , will have a block concrete / solid 12" top walk in shelter . It will have a custom door with a removable handle that will double for a interior door handle when removed from the exterior. lots of thought has gone into this and its not going to be cheap but its going to happen regardless if the home is new or used , My wife has seemed to get more and more into the prepping thing without notice . We used to go to the store and pick up $100 worth of groceries a week , basically a weeks worth of food . I can say in the last 8 months our cabinets are jammed full, our fridge is full, and both deep freezers are full . Hmmmmm whats she planning for that im not supposed to know about