Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   EMP effects on electronic gun safes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/emp-effects-electronic-gun-safes-75308/)

Popgun 10-29-2012 11:05 PM

EMP effects on electronic gun safes

How many of you have safes with electronic access locks? I wonder what the effects of an EMP would be on one whether from solar flare or nuke?

Wouldn't that be a gass if the very event that we were storing our stuff in safes for, turns out to be the cause of our safes being locked shut. Any body else thought about this? Better yet, anybody know if this is possible, or have a work around in case it is?

Just thinking,

slog 10-29-2012 11:12 PM

http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/www/effects/eonw_11.pdf

Most Susceptible
Low-power, high-speed digital computer, either transistorized or vacuum tube (operational
upset)
Systems employing transistors or semiconductor rectifiers (either silicon or selenium):
Computers and power supplies
Semiconductor components terminating long cable runs, especially between sites
Alarm systems
Intercom system
Life-support system controls
Some telephone equipment which is partially transistorized
Transistorized receivers and transmitters
Transistorized 60 to 400 cps converters
Transistorized process control systems
Power system controls and communication links

Less Susceptible
Vacuum-tube equipment that does not include semiconductor rectifiers:
Transmitters Intercom systems
Receivers Teletype-telephone
Alarm systems Power Supplies
Equipment employing low-current switches, relays, meters:
Alarms Panel indicators and status
Life-support systems boards
Power system control Process controls
panels
Hazardous equipment containing:
Detonators Explosive mixtures
Squibs Rocket fuels
Pyrotechnical devices
Other:
Long power cable runs employing dielectric insulation
Equipment associated with high-energy storage capacitors
Inductors

Least Susceptible
High-voltage 60 cps equipment:
Transformers, motors Rotary converters
Lamps (filament) Heavy-duty relays,
Heaters circuit breakers
Air-insultated power cable runs

jjfuller1 10-29-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popgun (Post 994911)
How many of you have safes with electronic access locks? I wonder what the effects of an EMP would be on one whether from solar flare or nuke?

Wouldn't that be a gass if the very event that we were storing our stuff in safes for, turns out to be the cause of our safes being locked shut. Any body else thought about this? Better yet, anybody know if this is possible, or have a work around in case it is?

Just thinking,

not all but MOST, of the electronic safes have a KEY overide. i know mine does. and this problem is of no concern of mine

orangello 10-29-2012 11:51 PM

That is part of the reason the shotgun doesn't live in the safe.

I have access to a torch and could probably get something better; the first thing i did was look for the easiest way in, incase of OOPS.

c3shooter 10-30-2012 12:53 AM

Actually, the metal of the safe should offer a fair bit of shielding.

Popgun 10-30-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 995046)
Actually, the metal of the safe should offer a fair bit of shielding.

I have a Liberty safe and the electronic part of the lock is mounted to the outside surface of the door. Metal can either act as a shield if the electronics is inside and not touching, or act as a pulse conductor, frying anything attached to it. It could be like mounting a radio to a lightning rod in a storm... I would think.

I'll have to call Liberty Safe Company and see if the've tested this yet; lot of room out in Utah for a small nuke. JK

orangello 10-30-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popgun (Post 995133)
I have a Liberty safe and the electronic part of the lock is mounted to the outside surface of the door.

Same here. My BIL has a larger model with the spintowin combination lock that i like better.

TankTop 10-30-2012 02:34 PM

I can see NORAD from my home, if the EMP frys my electronic safe I'll just wait another second for the heat to melt the door off :-\

Popgun 10-30-2012 06:59 PM

Well, I checked with Liberty and they confirmed that the electronics in their lock has nothing to protect it from EMP and would probably stop working in that event. Trying to open it with a cutting torch would ruin everything inside, so unless you had a generator and a powerful steel-cutting saw everything inside will be lost to you.

This is something to consider if EMP is on your list of SHTF concerns.

texaswoodworker 10-30-2012 07:27 PM

If your worried about EMP, there is a very simple solution. Get a regular, old fasion safe with a combination lock, or get a safe with both. :D