Emergency surgical kit
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Emergency surgical kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default Emergency surgical kit

Anyone got a good recommendation on one of those?

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Trauma care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
Anyone got a good recommendation on one of those?
I don't know about surgery, but there are some field care manuals that list equipment for different environments. For example, a camping first aid kit may include things such as wound gel and finger splints. A trauma kit where you can expect medical personnel in 15 minutes would be different than one where you can expect no such expertise. I can do CPR and basic first aid, but would never attempt a chest drain. The kit is somewhat customized to the environment, but if you expect ballistic trauma then I'd say all bets are off unless you are trained. I'm not.

What is the goal?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

You can find pre-stocked kits numerous places on line with what most would need, including hemostats, scalpels and a small assortment of various sutures, dressings, splints, etc., or you can buy one stocked and add more trauma surgical items and supplies, to individually customize your own surgical kit, based on your level of medical training, skills and experience.

Antibiotics, various sizes of catheters, needles and syringes can be found at most farm and ranch co-ops and feed stores. Any antibiotics and pharmaceuticals purchased for animal use is fine for human use, but they need to be diluted in strength and/or dosage. IV solutions can be purchased as well, but may be a little harder to get access to.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #4

Liked 140 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Watch where you get your sutures from.
A lot of on-line stores sell out-of-date supplies. It has something to do with laws which I'm not clear on. My wife had to call one company from the dr. office she works for to order mine.

Read up on the different types of sutures and needles and their different uses.

They cost a little more but the sutures with the needle already attached would be a lot handier. imo. Here's what I ended up with as my "trauma kit"...

I found a MOLLE gas mask bag on-line to attach it to my bag. My FAK is in my bag, but I thought I'd want my "trauma kit" in easy reach.

Since that picture was taken, I've added some more gauze, a CPR face shield and taken a few EMT classes at the local college and spent quite a bit of time talking to the doctor my wife works for.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1447 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Mine FWIW

Theres a small splint, trach tube, web adjustable tourniquet and a few other goodies in mine, but even with EMTB and some practical trauma experience I don't feel qualified to open anybody up.

I recommend also to throw in a recent edition of the Special Forces Medical Handbook, if you can get hold of one, which is the most complete and concise EM field manual I've seen. Deals with just about anything you are likely to encounter and includes NBC/veterinary/sanitary/dental/meat prep, whatever

Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #6

Liked 140 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Nice kit! And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
...but even with EMTB and some practical trauma experience I don't feel qualified to open anybody up.
... x2. My kit isn't for surgery it's just to close cuts, etc.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

If you are a supporting member you can get 50% off of Adventure medical kits through the epic promotive.com. They have some HIGH quality kits that will have everything you need.

Survival Kits

Old 03-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #8

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
If you are a supporting member you can get 50% off of Adventure medical kits through the epic promotive.com. They have some HIGH quality kits that will have everything you need.

Survival Kits
For field expedient sutures I would tell you to go to walmart get superglue and some butterfly bandaids. That is all you will need and it sure beats the hell out of having to replace suture material all the time as it expires.

If you just must have suture material I would get 2-0 and 3-0 Vicryl and Ethilon with a needle attached.

Vicryl is an absorbable and Ethilon is a nonabsorbable.

I must caution it is not recommended to close any open wound in the field as you are doing nothing but trapping dead or dying tissue and germs in the wounds that will cause it to become infected. That is unless if you don't close it the person will die.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #9

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

You can buy swabs which have tincture of benzoin on Amazon. They will glue skin together. I do have a suture kit, but since I have no idea how to suture, I hope tape and glue will do me just fine.

My father-in-law is a doctor. He recently wrote me prescriptions for:

Amoxicillin (30-500mg)
Erythromycin EC (28-350mg)
Septra (SMZ-TMP DS) (20-800mg)
Keflex (cephalexin) (28-250mg)
Tetracycline (60-500mg)
Gentamicin (5ml)

I am able to buy these at Walmart for $4 each, no insurance required. I do want to replace them every couple of years, but these antibiotics will fix just about everything.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 03-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #10

Liked 62 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
You can buy swabs which have tincture of benzoin on Amazon. They will glue skin together. I do have a suture kit, but since I have no idea how to suture, I hope tape and glue will do me just fine.

My father-in-law is a doctor. He recently wrote me prescriptions for:

Amoxicillin (30-500mg)
Erythromycin EC (28-350mg)
Septra (SMZ-TMP DS) (20-800mg)
Keflex (cephalexin) (28-250mg)
Tetracycline (60-500mg)
Gentamicin (5ml)

I am able to buy these at Walmart for $4 each, no insurance required. I do want to replace them every couple of years, but these antibiotics will fix just about everything.
But you still have to have a prescription for those, right Chris?