Effective & efficient fishing - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Effective & efficient fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Fly fishing is the only way to catch fish. I bet I can land a significant amount, certainly enough to survive, each day.
Your most productive fly? I like wooly buggers, leech and egg patterns. I tie wet flies. I have a couple of nymphs that are my creation that work well, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:25 AM   #42

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5149

2 words -- HOOP NET (with leads)!

ACTUALLY 4, but who cares...............down heeeya, hoop nets are used to catch catfish (leads ARE illegal, but DAMN do they move more fish in), but they catch ALL KINDS OF OTHER FISH TOO. the other fish (that are lawfully listed as gamefish) have to be tossed back. depending on if you use bait, or just leave it in a flowing channel (and with time), you can pull, prolly, at least, 100 lbs per day or 2, i would say. you can take what you want, and leave the rest; or take what you want, release the rest, and come back tomorrow, and get some "fresher" models.

it's actually a trap with heavy netting surrounding it, it not really a net; kinda like a wooden slat trap for catfish, but made with steel hoops and heavy 3/8 - 1/2-inch nylon webbing.

sits on the bottom, and has NO tell-tale signs of anyone being there (unlike a gill net). drop it overboard, tie it off on the nearby bank, and only you know where the lead is to pick it up.

LOTS of catfish, and LOTS of white perch/sac-a-lait/crappie (whatever you wanna call'em) are what mostly gets trapped.

FAST, QUIET, AND VERY EASY TO USE!

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 03-15-2011 at 03:29 AM.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:30 AM   #43

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
2 words -- HOOP NET (with leads)!

ACTUALLY 4, but who cares...............down heeeya, hoop nets are used to catch catfish (leads ARE illegal, but DAMN do they move more fish in), but they catch ALL KINDS OF OTHER FISH TOO. the other fish (that are lawfully listed as gamefish) have to be tossed back. depending on if you use bait, or just leave it in a flowing channel (and with time), you can pull, prolly, at least, 100 lbs per day or 2, i would say. you can take what you want, and leave the rest; or take what you want, release the rest, and come back tomorrow, and get some "fresher" models.

it's actually a trap with heavy netting surrounding it, it not really a net; kinda like a wooden slat trap for catfish, but made with steel hoops and heavy 3/8 - 1/2-inch nylon webbing.

LOTS of catfish, and LOTS of white perch/sac-a-lait/crappie (whatever you wanna call'em) are what mostly gets trapped.

FAST, QUIET, AND VERY EASY TO USE!
What bait would work best if used in a pond?

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 03-15-2011, 03:35 AM   #44

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Your most productive fly? I like wooly buggers, leech and egg patterns. I tie wet flies. I have a couple of nymphs that are my creation that work well, too.
Favorite are dry flies hands down. I'm detailed oriented and I love the challenge of making a perfect size 20 dry fly. I also dabble in wet flies/nymphs, but its very exciting to watch a fish engulf one of my floating creations. Even more so when there is a May Fly hatch going on and you have one that matches the color perfectly. I've also had fun experimenting in making flies that look like bait fish, baby mice or craw fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:02 AM   #45

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
What bait would work best if used in a pond?

dry dog food and dry corn in a nylon stocking tied to the "top" (upright) side of the net work good, but "stink cheese" bait for catfish works better. just keep it off your hands, and jeans, and shirt, and...............well, you get the picture.

if it's a private pond, then i "think" you can use leads. i'm not sure on that so check state and local laws. but in a SHTF situation, who cares, huh?

Fishnet Co. - Custom Nets, Sports Nets, Fishing Nets, Batting Cages and everything in-between!

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 03-15-2011, 04:27 AM   #46

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Favorite are dry flies hands down. I'm detailed oriented and I love the challenge of making a perfect size 20 dry fly. I also dabble in wet flies/nymphs, but its very exciting to watch a fish engulf one of my floating creations. Even more so when there is a May Fly hatch going on and you have one that matches the color perfectly. I've also had fun experimenting in making flies that look like bait fish, baby mice or craw fish.
Somebody mention flyfishing??
Dry fly fishing can be great fun, almost magical if you're in the right place at the right time.
But for year round success I find fishing basic hardware works the best.
Mostly nymphs for me year round, I try to keep it simple, Hare's Ears tied size 10-18 in several colors (white,tan,brown,olive, black) w and w/o beadheads covers most of the possibilities.
Throw a few big stonefly patterns in the box, a couple caddis pupae's and some simple soft hackle wets.
Streamers from time to time are killer, Wooly Bugger's and Bunny Leach's/Zonkers (I tie one using rabbit strips instead of feathers in the old Black Ghost pattern that slams the browns)
For steelhead/salmon all the above will work along with Sucker Spawn, single egg's and I've even been known to tie an old school Spey Fly from time to time
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #47

Liked 950 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 1072

My dad told me he use to make "dry ice" bombs when he was kid to go fishing with.. a glass bottle, a rock, some water, and dry ice....

Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #48

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Somebody mention flyfishing??
Dry fly fishing can be great fun, almost magical if you're in the right place at the right time.
But for year round success I find fishing basic hardware works the best.
Mostly nymphs for me year round, I try to keep it simple, Hare's Ears tied size 10-18 in several colors (white,tan,brown,olive, black) w and w/o beadheads covers most of the possibilities.
Throw a few big stonefly patterns in the box, a couple caddis pupae's and some simple soft hackle wets.
Streamers from time to time are killer, Wooly Bugger's and Bunny Leach's/Zonkers (I tie one using rabbit strips instead of feathers in the old Black Ghost pattern that slams the browns)
For steelhead/salmon all the above will work along with Sucker Spawn, single egg's and I've even been known to tie an old school Spey Fly from time to time
Sounds like we need a M&G in Grand Lake Stream, Maine. Canal Side Cabbins

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!