Effect of EMP on de-energized equiptment - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Effect of EMP on de-energized equiptment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

So once the equiptment is is exposed it's fried for good or is it temporary?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97powerstroke View Post
So once the equiptment is is exposed it's fried for good or is it temporary?
It's history!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie View Post
I slept that way throughout childhood and young adulthood, until I was on my own and could over-rule the old-man's conditions for family life. And that was in Chicago, hot as hell in summer!

(Then I moved to Vegas, and 90 degrees was cold, then Phoenix, even worse!!)

Jeez, we must have had the same father lol! We didn't even have a color TV until 1972. We NEVER had an air-conditioner. Fans were all we had. The problem in the northeast isn't so much the heat as the humidity. I've been to Mesa and that was as hot as I've ever seen. The expression "frying an egg on the sidewalk" must have been born in Arizona. I bought a tee shirt for my son while I was doing work at Luke AFB. It showed some skeletons playing baseball in the desert and the caption was "But it's a Dry Heat!". Now I've got 3 air-conditioners and couldn't sleep without one - but I'm 51 now and I also don't sleep in a tent on the ground anymore either!

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-30-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 AM   #24

The "car is a Faraday Cage" thing... idk about that. Anyone watch Mythbusters? They made one for an episode (I think it was to do with cell phones igniting at the gas pump), it looked to be a cage of copper mesh. Covering all around.

The car would have gaps where the glass is... I'm not sure it would survive the theoretical EMP. I hear Air Force One is EMP shielded, so it can't be too awfully difficult.

If I'm not mistaken, there are shielded cables made for the thump-thump kiddies and their hand-me-down mobile soundsystems. These might be of a help, but I'd wanna make sure the (I'm assuming an older, non-computer'd-up vehicle) engine block, alt, and distributor were shielded - so pretty much line the hood, fenders, and front/rear of engine area with a conductive mesh, having a ground line running down from that.

On the "Is it fried or fixable" - things can be fixed, but anything with a circuit board or chip, well, good luck... I'd keep replacements on hand if its that much of a concern.

Good luck if this sort of push came to shove. I have a friend who lives about 5 minutes away from the famed "Copperhead Road", provided I could get to his house I'd most likely be able to get by, though I rather hope that it never comes to that.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:28 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=DFENS;34195]so pretty much line the hood, fenders, and front/rear of engine area with a conductive mesh, having a ground line running down from that.

Problem with this is that the car has rubber tires and is insulated from ground (literally and electrically) Grounding to the cage surrounding the car would be pointless unless that energy could be dissipated to ground.
On the "Is it fried or fixable" - things can be fixed, but anything with a circuit board or chip, well, good luck... I'd keep replacements on hand if its that much of a concern.

You'd need to keep all the modular components on hand for replacement like the main processor, the ECM, BCM, and any solid state ignition components. This would cost you over a $1000 for a "just in case" scenario. Hell, some processors alone cost more than that. You couln't rebuild these at the component level in real life.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-31-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #26

Anyone see this from the other day?

I would appear that we should be thinking more about this EMP situation.

So about the car thing. Isn't there some vehicle to pavement straps that trucks use to dissapate static and lightening to the ground? Especially gasoline tanker trucks? Would that protect a vehicle computer any from emp?

Or does it come down to needing to be enclosed in a metal box that has a ground?

What is the survivability of say a 71' jeep with no computer?

Old 07-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5artist5 View Post
Anyone see this from the other day?

I would appear that we should be thinking more about this EMP situation.

So about the car thing. Isn't there some vehicle to pavement straps that trucks use to dissapate static and lightening to the ground? Especially gasoline tanker trucks? Would that protect a vehicle computer any from emp?

Or does it come down to needing to be enclosed in a metal box that has a ground?

I'm not an electrical engineer, so I'm just guessing, but trucks do use short lengths of chain to ground their frames/tanks, and I imagine this would work if the electrical components were securely protected by a cage. Technically the metal car body is a "cage", but I assume it doesn't work because it doesn't provide complete enclosure of electrical components and wiring.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:20 PM   #28

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5artist5 View Post
The Jeep should actually be pretty OK as long as it has a point ignition setup. It might be a good idea to keep a couple condensers around and shielded though; I doubt it would be affected, but better safe than sorry.

Josh <><