Effect of EMP on de-energized equiptment - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Effect of EMP on de-energized equiptment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 01:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Faraday cages are easy to build for protecting against emp. For small appliances, you can even use aluminum foil; larger appliances can be protected with a mylar space blanket.

But, you must have a deep grounding rod to hook up to.
You need'nt get all too concerned about grounding, if the stuff being protected is completely surrounded by metal, electrically conductive like foil, sheet metal, etc., no electric charge can exist on the INSIDE of that enclosure (Faraday's Law). The "pulse" would simply induce a charge on the outside, which would very quickly dissipate into the atmosphere, and not affect the "guts" inside.

[/QUOTE]

Old 07-27-2008, 02:28 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie View Post
They MAY have called it an "EMP" generator, but that also was most likely a crock of bull****. What they did was disable the car's "computer" by using appropriate control frequencies which induce stray currents in the wiring harness and kill the computer. 20 years ago, experts rumored that cops would be doing this routinely as eventually all cars would be computer-run as the old non-EFI cars gradually disappeared. Those rumors quietly died, why, I don't know. Maybe it was true! Ask a COP, they are all truthful, right?
They drove the car through a large metal frame which appeared to be a large armature or electromagnet which I am assuming was energized with a tremendous amount of current. I don't know if it produced a "pulse" per say, but it sure did the job! It certainly wasn't the type or size of device the cops would set-up on the spot like "spike strips".
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-27-2008, 02:44 AM   #13

My personal opinion is the fact that we have become too dependent on our stuff and not ourselves. If you don't still garden, maybe put one in next year, learn how to can. It's going to be about the basics. How to dig a well, store food without refrigeration, etc. We will probably be somewhere equal to the 1500-1600's. I would stock up on flour and salt and learn some trades, like how to butcher your own animals, run your own smoke house. The thing with the SHTF event is non of ous are going to be fully ready for it. After having the major ice storm this winter and without electricity for a large amount of time, I've change a lot of my priorities. I will enjoy my stuff while I have it, but I'm trying my hardest to not depend on it. My buddies and I are looking to plan a survivalist week this winter with tents and sleeping bags and bug out bags. Just hunting and fishing for food. I suggest anyone tries these type of exercises. Basics are everything because that's what we'll go back to.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Last edited by Jables; 07-27-2008 at 02:46 AM.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #14

Default ON STAR govt control new permanent license plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie View Post
They MAY have called it an "EMP" generator, but that also was most likely a crock of bull****. What they did was disable the car's "computer" by using appropriate control frequencies which induce stray currents in the wiring harness and kill the computer. 20 years ago, experts rumored that cops would be doing this routinely as eventually all cars would be computer-run as the old non-EFI cars gradually disappeared. Those rumors quietly died, why, I don't know. Maybe it was true! Ask a COP, they are all truthful, right?
In 1980 VW sent out a service bulletin to all American dealers that a VEE DUB with electronic fuel injection would die on the road if a nearby 100 watt CB radio would que the mic. This would screw up the ECM and the car would die with no explanation. The IC chip in the Engine Control Module (computer/ECM) is just a semiconducter that needs yes/no signals and hi/lo signals of system voltages to operate and if those tiny controlled circuits get a strange signal transmitted to them from a wiring harness it will screw everything up and it is history, car dies.

If the car the 'Cops' might be chasing has Sat Com it could be shut down from space. This is good as far as i'm concerned because most gang bangers drive newer cars. One thing to think about when purchasing a new vehicle is the satelite link on the car. GM "Hughes Satellite" tracks all your "ON Star equipped" vehicles once every 9 minutes. This is if you have the service or not. Who knows where the data storage is for this?

This will throw you for a loop if you are looking for a parasitic battery drain.

This tracking feature has the ability to tell the satellite everything your doing, and when On Star can unlock the doors on a vehicle this is abseloute proof that they can control the PCM(Powertrain Control Module), BCM (Body Control Module), and anything else on your vehicle through the UART bus line (basically a LAN) any time for any reason. When OBDII (On Board Diagnostics 2) came out and was mandated by 1996 to be on all cars and pickups under 8500 GVW since 96 model year sold in the USA and G8 nations for the tree huggers, these features were in the works. LO Jack was the start.

This is probably not planned by any one person, it just happened this way. Works good for control though.

This is some technical explanation and real world application of it.

sincerely wrench
<striving to enter at the narrow gate>

Old 07-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #15

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

<raises hand>

I am back in college at age 30, about ready to graduate.

I have two majors, maintenance technology and industrial electrician. Wrote my first computer program before I was 10, Dad's an electrical engineer for GM, and I enjoy building computers almost as much as building guns.

Those are my qualifications.

The EMP weapon is real. It's in development for the military. Additionally, nuclear and thermonuclear weapons have a big EM pulse as a side benefit. They will fry electronics.

Electronics are easy to fry. When building a computer, one should wear a grounded wrist strap. The static electricity that you can see is on the order of 3,000 volts. On the other hand, solid state electronics can be toasted with around 30 volts. Nasty.

While Faraday's law is correct, there is a minimum thickness that one must have to protect the electronics.

Example:

Take a portable radio, TV, whatever, and surround it completely with aluminum foil. I can guarantee you that you will still get reception of the stronger stations. And radio waves are a weak form of electromagnetic radiation.

Additionally, if you were to direct an EMP toward a rabbit ear antennae like set up, you'd see a spark travel between them. This is inductance and it's bad when it comes to electronics. Car bodies will do the same thing - there's nothing to ground them.

In fact, most electronics are not grounded well enough to be protected.

Short answer: If a powerful, long range EMP insues, we will no longer have electronics of the type we know today. A tube set may survive, but that's about it.

FWIW.

Josh <><

Old 07-28-2008, 12:41 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wrench, good post! Interesting!

Old 07-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Josh, I too, went back to college at 31, actually, and finally got my B.S. in Engineering long, long time ago, when only a small part of our world was being "supervised" by computers.

Recent events have me convinced that less likelihood of that big "pulse" jarring us is more and more the probability, despite all the saber rattling. The "global economy" presents stakes far too high to allow it to happen, except, that is, as part of a terrorist venture which will never provoke the kind of overall response worldwide which we are talking about.

It is still excellent advice, as given above somewhere, for all of us to get more involved in several areas few of us are: Skilled Trades- get good at electricity, plumbing, structures building. Self-sustenance- start growing as much of your own feed stuffs as possible, including animals. Don't expect to become a vegetarian, it won't work. ALL Americans should take a hard look at becoming more self-reliant.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:56 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
My personal opinion is the fact that we have become too dependent on our stuff and not ourselves. If you don't still garden, maybe put one in next year, learn how to can. It's going to be about the basics. How to dig a well, store food without refrigeration, etc. We will probably be somewhere equal to the 1500-1600's. I would stock up on flour and salt and learn some trades, like how to butcher your own animals, run your own smoke house. The thing with the SHTF event is non of ous are going to be fully ready for it. After having the major ice storm this winter and without electricity for a large amount of time, I've change a lot of my priorities. I will enjoy my stuff while I have it, but I'm trying my hardest to not depend on it. My buddies and I are looking to plan a survivalist week this winter with tents and sleeping bags and bug out bags. Just hunting and fishing for food. I suggest anyone tries these type of exercises. Basics are everything because that's what we'll go back to.
It took a loss of "electric convenience" to get your attention! Of course, we ALL are much too dependent on "suppliers"- they are the "enablers" of today's society. The survivalist activity you mention is excellent training. If you guys are TRULY bent on changing your outlook, you all must prepare to accept and endure HARDSHIPS, something we Americans (and others) do very piss-poor at. Tell On-Star to shove it; we can unlock our OWN vehicles without keys.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

How many here are capable of going to bed without the A/C running when it's 90 degrees outside with 90% humidity?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-29-2008, 02:10 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
How many here are capable of going to bed without the A/C running when it's 90 degrees outside with 90% humidity?
I slept that way throughout childhood and young adulthood, until I was on my own and could over-rule the old-man's conditions for family life. And that was in Chicago, hot as hell in summer!

(Then I moved to Vegas, and 90 degrees was cold, then Phoenix, even worse!!)