Effect of EMP on de-energized equiptment
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Effect of EMP on de-energized equiptment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 06:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Effect of EMP on de-energized equiptment

I know that most if not all electronics will be affected but what if the equiptment is not turned on or is de-energized at the time of the event ? For instance say you leave the battery cables unhooked on your bug-out vehicle or something like that.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #2

Default Emp

I am pretty sure weather connected or not the EMP pulse kills everything, it would be only after the EMP wave disipates that anything would work again, of coarse in the event you are in the vacinity of a EMP pulse you are also in the vacinity of of the shock wave to come after it(EXPLOSION) and then the sun tan seconds after that, this is not conducive to good health, better to be some where deep, very deep!!!
I will add that anything new with any kind of tecknology behind it probably will not work ever again with out repair to computer parts and what not, It is my thought that I would have the very most basic of engine and keep all its ignition system down below with me and mine so as to protect it, in hopes to have any kind of transportation after the big one go'es off.

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

What I've read says it doesn't matter if electronics are switched on or connected to a power source. They could be fried by an EMP.

An EMP sends a surge of electrical energy over everything. Anything with small circuitry designed to run on a very low voltage (that is, anything with an integrated circuit) may be damaged.

For this to be a substantial issue, however, a very large nuke must be detonated very, very high over North America. The nature of the earth's own magnetic fields would wash the EMP from, say North Dakota all the way south to Texas and very far to the east and west. However, not too many folks have a) a very big nuke or b) the means to get it very, very high over North America and detonate it.

A nuke detonated in a city would release an EMP, but it probably wouldn't carry far. If you were close enough to be affected by the EMP, you would probably be more concerned with the immediate blast and fallout.

(Just something to think about: most everything we use has integrated circuits, including trucks and cars, planes, watches, home appliances, computers, networking gear, phones and more. A well-placed EMP would be really, really bad and arguably would switch the country off -- literally -- in an instant. It doesn't take much to shield electronics, but this is rarely done.)

Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #4

Faraday cages are easy to build for protecting against emp. For small appliances, you can even use aluminum foil; larger appliances can be protected with a mylar space blanket. But, you must have a deep grounding rod to hook up to.

A friend of mine clued me in on what he does to protect his laptop and radios - he lined a 20mm ammo can with closed cell foam, and bolted a grounding strap to to it which is connected to his grounding rod. When the equipment is not in use, he stores it in the ammo can.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #5

Thats kinda what I figured, things will be fried no matter what. I've got a 76 F-250 that's my bug out rig and I think the only thing I would have to worry about on that thing is the ignition control module, maybe the alternator and voltage regulator. I have an old pionts style dizzy I could throw in there too.
Might want to protect the CB radio to.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97powerstroke View Post
Thats kinda what I figured, things will be fried no matter what. I've got a 76 F-250 that's my bug out rig and I think the only thing I would have to worry about on that thing is the ignition control module, maybe the alternator and voltage regulator. I have an old pionts style dizzy I could throw in there too.
If the equipment in question doesn't have any low-voltage components, you may not be affected (depending on how close you are to the blast). Older vehicles will probably be fine. Newer ones with computer-controlled fuel injection systems and timing won't do too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97powerstroke View Post
Might want to protect the CB radio to.
Or have a backup.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Two years ago on the Discovery channel they tested a portable EMP generator to be used by.....you guessed it - the Police. They drove 3 cars through the generated field and all of them stopped dead - forever fried were the ignition systems components and computer.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-26-2008, 12:57 AM   #8

EMPs can also be caused if a large enough object impacts the Earth "i.e. a comet, etc..." An object a few hundred yards in diameter would send a EMP across the entire earth.

That would be a SHTF situation, the only likely way to survive would to be under ground. You'd have to stay there for awhile too.

An EMP would wipe out anything electronic; such as our electro-scopes.

What I don't know is basic ways to protect equipment from an EMP blast. Anyone know? Like a simple way; underground, lead box, etc...? I have no clue.

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 07-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Faraday cages are easy to build for protecting against emp. For small appliances, you can even use aluminum foil; larger appliances can be protected with a mylar space blanket. But, you must have a deep grounding rod to hook up to.

A friend of mine clued me in on what he does to protect his laptop and radios - he lined a 20mm ammo can with closed cell foam, and bolted a grounding strap to to it which is connected to his grounding rod. When the equipment is not in use, he stores it in the ammo can.
Read this guy again! Example: Safest place to be when a bolt of lightning hits your immediate vicinity is INSIDE a CAR. A car IS a "Faraday Cage". Regarding an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) such as originates with a nuclear explosion, such energy transmission is stopped or deflected by a metal enclosure, like a car body.

Couple of other points: The EMP's strength DECREASES as the SQUARE of the distance from it's source. That means if you are say, 2 miles from the source instead of 1 mile, the strength is 1/4 as much, 4 miles it's 1/16 as much; so, you're lucky the farther away you are. The EMP is the least of your personal concerns, though, as the pulse of mixed short-wavelength radiation will fry YOU but maybe not your electronics gear.

Quite likely, survival success will depend more on finding non-contaminated food, having your firearms ready to go, only people around you that you can trust completely, and when you proceed down that road, personal electronic gear may be all but forgotten anyway.

Just my spin on this deal.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Two years ago on the Discovery channel they tested a portable EMP generator to be used by.....you guessed it - the Police. They drove 3 cars through the generated field and all of them stopped dead - forever fried were the ignition systems components and computer.
They MAY have called it an "EMP" generator, but that also was most likely a crock of bull****. What they did was disable the car's "computer" by using appropriate control frequencies which induce stray currents in the wiring harness and kill the computer. 20 years ago, experts rumored that cops would be doing this routinely as eventually all cars would be computer-run as the old non-EFI cars gradually disappeared. Those rumors quietly died, why, I don't know. Maybe it was true! Ask a COP, they are all truthful, right?