Economy collapsed, to have your gold, now how do you spend it? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Economy collapsed, to have your gold, now how do you spend it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Poink- shop carefully, they are out there. Just picked up 100 mercury dimes for $200, and yes, I know the seller.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Poink- shop carefully, they are out there. Just picked up 100 mercury dimes for $200, and yes, I know the seller.
That's the key isn't it? Good deal. Almost spot on melt value.

I am staying with with silver eagle dollars as much as possible and I think today may be the best time to buy since silver dipped these past 3 weeks. I have a local contact as well who sells eagles 10% over spot. Still good deal as far as I am concerned since he prefer cash transactions.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #13

I have to agree with the t.p. with that mind set I would also have to say that tampons and pad would proably be worth more than gold or silver in the long run. Think about it when the neighbors wife is screaming at him for when her time start I'll be willing to bet you could sell something like that for almost what ever you want for it. Just so he can get her to shut up.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #14

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
I have to agree with the t.p. with that mind set I would also have to say that tampons and pad would proably be worth more than gold or silver in the long run. Think about it when the neighbors wife is screaming at him for when her time start I'll be willing to bet you could sell something like that for almost what ever you want for it. Just so he can get her to shut up.
That's why I'd save up for some diamonds also

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 01-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
I'm sure the title says it all. Say you have an ounce of gold & need to use it, how? Would you barter it? Would you trade it for silver rounds?
Should our dollar collapse, one of the last things I would do is part with precious metals. In fact, I would be looking to increase my supply by trading stuff I can provide to others for gold and/or silver.

Once a new sound currency -- a commodities-backed currency -- comes around, then I might consider trading my metals for currency.

Another angle might have me cashing in gold or silver if the prices rise so much that I can cash in a little bit of metal to pay off a lot of debt. Paying off debt is important, IMO. But that doesn't require a collapse of the current currency; just a big dip in value.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
That's why I'd save up for some diamonds also
Diamonds aren't usable as money.

Money must be a medium of exchange such as when it is used to intermediate the exchange of goods and services. It thereby avoids the inefficiencies of a barter system.

Money must be a unit of account in that it is a standard numerical unit of measurement against the market value of goods, services, and other transactions. To function as a 'unit of account', whatever is being used as money must be:
- Divisible into smaller units without loss of value; precious metals can be coined from bars, or melted down into bars again.
- Fungible: that is, one unit or piece must be perceived as equivalent to any other, which is why diamonds, works of art or real estate are not suitable as money.
- A specific weight, or measure, or size to be verifiably countable.

Money must be a store of value which means money must be able to be reliably saved, stored, and retrieved – and be predictably usable as a medium of exchange when it is retrieved. The value of the money must also remain stable over time.

Money must be a standard of deferred payment, which is to say an accepted way to settle a debt.

Go with metals. Gold, silver, brass, copper and lead spring to mind.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Diamonds aren't usable as money.

Money must be a medium of exchange such as when it is used to intermediate the exchange of goods and services. It thereby avoids the inefficiencies of a barter system.

Money must be a unit of account in that it is a standard numerical unit of measurement against the market value of goods, services, and other transactions. To function as a 'unit of account', whatever is being used as money must be:
- Divisible into smaller units without loss of value; precious metals can be coined from bars, or melted down into bars again.
- Fungible: that is, one unit or piece must be perceived as equivalent to any other, which is why diamonds, works of art or real estate are not suitable as money.
- A specific weight, or measure, or size to be verifiably countable.

Money must be a store of value which means money must be able to be reliably saved, stored, and retrieved – and be predictably usable as a medium of exchange when it is retrieved. The value of the money must also remain stable over time.

Money must be a standard of deferred payment, which is to say an accepted way to settle a debt.

Go with metals. Gold, silver, brass, copper and lead spring to mind.
I was referring to using them to shut her up like Ron White recommends. I do see your point however. I have a rock from the diamond mine in Arkansas but I won't be trading that anytime soon. I think for such an occasion lead might outdo the diamonds

Last edited by Scratchammo; 01-28-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My problem with people who fail to see the benefit of PM (gold/silver) is they seem to only see the extreme SHTF scenario...only TEOTWAWKI or armageddon type. In this case I will agree with them. However, in most cases (where for me matters most), society will just shift and eventually recover. Here is where PM really shines.

If we want a better discussion, I believe the particular SHTF scenario must be defined properly so we are all on the same page.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #19

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I will sell you my beer for Gold, ammo, canned food, toilet paper or ammunition. You can then trade the beer for what ever you want.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I will sell you my beer for Gold, ammo, canned food, toilet paper or ammunition. You can then trade the beer for what ever you want.
Alchohol like cigarettes are actually a good form of currency, we used cigarettes on the ship all the time. I guess if alcohol is money then moonshine would be counterfeit