Ebola Outbreak - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Ebola Outbreak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1493 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 3227

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
IIRC, the thing that kept Ebola from killing more people in the past has been that it struck in rural areas and killed everyone before they could escape to spread it further. If it gets on an airplane, it could get past that little barrier to pandemic status.
The fact that it kills so quickly is what makes it easy to detect and stop. It's the viruses that don't act quickly that are the real threat, which is why AIDS was and is so bad.

And I would skip that trip as well. There are a lot of other people in the world that could use some help. There's no point in picking a place with a nasty viral outbreak and then become one of the corpses, or even worse bring it back home with you.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #22

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 731

From what I just read, Ebola has a 13 - 25 day incubating period. That would seem to indicate that it could very easily spread far and wide. But I also read (understood) that it doesn't really spread throughout the air, like from a sneeze. It requires bodily fluid exchange, unlikely on a plane coming home from Africa. Sounds like a better reason it doesn't spread. It DOES spread in Africa, because the locals are basically ignorant to basic proper hygiene practices in hospitals & clinics, and because they insist on eating known carriers like bats. Go figure.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3144 Times on 1816 Posts
Likes Given: 2001

A very sick man who flew from Liberia to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan was suspected of being infected with the Ebola virus, just last month. THANK GOD, HE DID NOT HAVE THE VIRUS.

The article I read was from The New York Times.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2250 Times on 1224 Posts
Likes Given: 3512

Ebola is one of a family of hemorrhagic fevers. Some others are Rift Valley Fever, Marburg, and Hantavirus. An Army officer i worked for caught hemorrhagic fever in Korea in 1958: He almost died.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #25

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

In the movie "Outbreak" the solution was to come up with a vaccine/antidote, does anyone know if there is one???

Jim

Old 04-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #26

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
In the movie "Outbreak" the solution was to come up with a vaccine/antidote, does anyone know if there is one???

Jim
Everything I've read says no, no vaccine or antidote. You are placed in isolation and they wait for you to bleed out or "crash".

Old 04-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #27

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 731

Quote:
Everything I've read says no, no vaccine or antidote. You are placed in isolation and they wait for you to bleed out or "crash".
There IS a second option. It could be considered an antidote. Please refer to post #5 in this thread. Not a great option, but the best one that's been floated that I've seen.

Quote:
A very sick man who flew from Liberia to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan was suspected of being infected with the Ebola virus, just last month. THANK GOD, HE DID NOT HAVE THE VIRUS.
No kidding, huh? Makes a REAL good case for not going to a dump like Africa, one reason among many. Right about now, they should probably be throwing ANYONE coming from there in quarantine, for however long is necessary.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #28

Liked 4983 Times on 2413 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I believe this is the time to put human rights on the back burner and isolate everyone in that group until the disease is eradicated.
Ahh... BHO can stop overblowing the "terror" threat and simply stage some CONUS Ebola outbreaks! That'll get them "bitter clingers" to lay down and do what he says... All FOOG of course.

Tack
Old 04-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #29

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2635

The mainstream media is eerily quiet on this outbreak lately. I did find an article w/video from Euronews that quotes W.H.O. as saying they expect this virus to terrorize West Africa for months to come:

http://www.euronews.com/2014/04/09/ebola-expected-to-terrorise-west-africa-for-months-who/

Old 04-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1493 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 3227

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratrider View Post
The mainstream media is eerily quiet on this outbreak lately. I did find an article w/video from Euronews that quotes W.H.O. as saying they expect this virus to terrorize West Africa for months to come:

http://www.euronews.com/2014/04/09/ebola-expected-to-terrorise-west-africa-for-months-who/
I really feel for the people in West Africa, and sub Saharan Africa. It isn't like they didn't have enough to deal with without having to worry about ebola. I do hope that part of the world stabilizes one day. There's just entirely too much needless suffering there.