Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Eating Leather

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 05:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

damn....better have some strong TEEFERSi guess i could eat leather...i eat round steaks every now and then...

Old 09-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sorry. I thought this was a thread for people who found out the hard way that they weren't cut out for boxing.................

Old 09-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I've heard you can get some nutritional value from eating rawhide, but cured leather is useless.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #14

I have been brain tanning deerskin for the better part of 15 years. Modern tanned leather would be useles. The chemical bath process alone will destroy most nutritional value (I have used them a few times but they really are nasty chemicals). I have an extensive library on the old west, civil war, and Rev. war. Many stories about boiling hides and naturally tanned leather to make a soup mixed with any edible vegitation around. To eat your leather coat or the saddlebags on the Harley would probably finish you off rather than save you.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 09-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I used to brain-tan hides when I was a kid just to see how they'd come out. I read about it in the Foxfire Books, which I have to say were the most useful and interesting books I have ever read.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:29 AM   #16
neo

I have also heard of eating leather in many survival stories, like ships at sea in the 1500's. Of course, this was after they ate everything else. Now, I remember, It was Magellan's crew. Heres a little quote....

"When their food ran out, the hungry sailors ate the rats in the ships' holds, then the leather from the rigging, then sawdust. Many died. Those who remained grew steadily weaker and weaker."

Hmmm... Must have done something, no?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #17

Bear from Man Vs Wild was exposed for the fake he really is. Having a team with him on location wherever he goes. You just never see them. Survivorman is the only legit person making shows like this. And he just finished up as his show.

Wouldn't wood, or some type of bark be better for you than leather? Wood has insoluble fiber, but it's still something other than chemically treated cow skin.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanG23 View Post
Hahah. I do agree, he does have like 6 guys rolling with him through the jungle or wherever he goes.
That statement makes me quite certain that i don't the extras on the DVD set.