Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Easy to carry Trade goods?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 11:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Easy to carry Trade goods?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Now that Gold, as well as Silver have gone up so much, what do you all plan to do to expoit that? In my earlier days, I did have a bit of Gold coins, (Mostly Bullion), as well as a a crown royal bag of scrap silver coins I had kept for when they might be good fro trade! Now, after a lot of Lay off's a health issue with a Family member and bills that the pentagon wouldn't want to pay, I've sold off a lot of the gold, but kept the silver!

This is not intended to be a Can of soup, for a Gold coin thred, but a thead that talks about once you have met your food, water and shelter needs, can protect what you have! What small items do you see as good trade items? I see Fishhooks, Safty pins and the like as great items, strike anywhere matches are harder to get and still sell well at gun shows for me, so I know they would be a good trade item? Silver and Gold coins do trade well at shows and in times of need and are small, lite and easy to hide? I am pretty well set on my Food, water and shelter needs, weapons have always been taken care of, what now should I look at set aside of? Or more honestly what are you all doing in that manner? Are you all doing something, or ignoring the problem? Not trying to start a snit, but truley interested in your thoughts and idea's? I'm thinking seriously about more 1 OZ Silver eagles, when they sell cheap enough, as well as a few 1/10th oz Gold bullion coins? But dam, for that $, I could buy a lot of everyday, easy to trade items? I do have a good selection of Silver dimes and quarters, good enough to be collectable, but bought at scrap price! Let me hear it all, I'm ready to hear your comments?

Other idea's than Matches, cheap lighter, Tobacco, Bullets and the such?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #2

Default Easy to carry trade goods

Duck tape, Lighter fluid (Zippo), coffee, sugar, creamer, tea, salt, pepper, in individual packets, nails, tire repair kits, tampons, condoms, toilet paper, Q-tips, first aid supplies, para cord, electrical wire, starting fluid, zip lock baggies, shoe laces, compasses, sharpening stones, road flares, 1/2 pints of whiskey, replacement bulbs for mag lights, signal mirrors, water purification tablets, WD-40, dried goods, fruit snacks, soap, shampoo, deodorant, baby wipes, tooth brushes, tooth past, ect, ect, ect, all one needs to do is think of everyday things some necessary some convenience that people use and need that one day they may find them selves with out in a time of need, much like everyday survival you will need things that sell good or trade good in order to secure your survival and that you have the things you need, it would be great to have a little bit of everything but in all reality it would be easy to keep it simple and just stock things you know will sell and trade like cigarettes, booze, rolling papers, coffee, beer, you may not endorse the use of these items but in a high stress survival situation, people will half kill each other over these items, and they will be worth there weight in gold and should fetch you anything you would ever need, it's all marketing, right place, right time!!!!!!!!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 12-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Default trade goods

As a general rule do not trade off ammo that can easily be used against you. .22 lr and various gauges of shot shells in 7 1/2 shot or smaller. The kind of ammo some one could use for food forage but not (very) effective iin attacking you and yours.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:09 AM   #4

Im not sure gold and coins will be worth anything anyway.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterds View Post
Im not sure gold and coins will be worth anything anyway.
Gold coins and old silver dollars (1 oz) are going to be worth more than paper money! 1/10 ounce gold coins cost around $90 today and it probably isn't a bad idea to have a few.

Granted, jewelry and precious metals don't mean squat when you're on your own looking for things to help you survive. But they can come in handy for trading when other people are around.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:35 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Keep to the things that the average person would need to survive and that will be your best bet on trade goods. Flashlight batteries, Lighter fluid, matches, canned goods and of course blankets and knives. All of these will be needed but ignored by the average Joe and will be a commodity that can easily be traded, but what is the other guy gonna have that you need? Think along those lines as well. JMHO

Last edited by BlueXJ; 12-14-2007 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-24-2007, 01:20 AM   #7

Default trade goods

my take is gold and siver you cant eat and neither can any one else.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #8

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default --

Cheap liquor, duct tape, string, super glue, Bic lighters, Band-Aids and sterile gauze pads, iodine and
Betadine, salt, pepper, spices, rope, basic hand tools, nails, thread, sewing needles, leather (a few "sides" of vegetable-tanned cowhide would be better than gold), cotton and denim fabric, plastic sheeting, and more liquor.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCATT View Post
my take is gold and siver you cant eat and neither can any one else.
You're right. But they have never been worthless. They are always desirable to some people.

Stockpile what you need, and stock up on items that are easily traded that are utilitarian in nature. But don't ignore the potential worth of gems and precious metals even in a time of turmoil.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Easy To Carry Trade Goods?

Hello all Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

Thanks all for your input! I see Scrap silver, and Gold coins (Bullion) as one more layer of prepardness! Would they serve in a complete collapse? Probably not! Would they serve in some small way if the decent down the "Rabbit Hole" was not complete? Probably! I'm drawn back to a story of an Executive, with an Oil company in Iran, in the 80's, when the Shaw of Iran fled and the country decended into bedlem! Things were dire, as an educated man and a helped of a foriegn company he would be first to be taken away to the "Re-education" camps, or killed outright! His pasport no longer useable, he went the the airport to try and catch a flight that was more middle eastern and would no require a close crutny of his papers, after hours of trying to buy a ticket, he approchaed an older Egyptian woman, headed home after the Holidays! She had a 1 way ticket to a small airport in egypt! Perfect he though, now only to convince her to sell, as he tried, it was clear she would drive a hard bargin! He offered cash, she shook her head no, Iranian currency was all but worthless! He offered his watch a Rolex, she shook her head no! Opening his satchel, he showed her a few Gold and Silver Bullion Coins, Soon he was sitting in his seat, headed out of Iran! What were those Coins worth to him? PRICELESS?

I do agree and have set aside things that would be good trade, Fishing hooks and gear, Safety Pins, items hard to manuf Some Precription meds and even some Booze, though using them for trade would be a tough to do it and you'd have to be real careful! I appreciated the Duct Tape comments, I should stash rolls of that aside, I've held things never intended together with it and it would trade well? Medical items I have stashed already, Super Glue is a good one, thanks! Cheap Lighters along with Lighter Fluid, (Napha), as well as a few Ferro Firestarting kits!

As I said, all inputs were appreciated, we need to consider Gold and Silver as a small hedge to some disaster trade! Is it complete, NO, would it carry the day Complete, No! Is it a good idea to heave some, YES!