Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > easy to carry fire-starters - homemade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

When I worked construction we used to burn all the scrap lumber and plywood on rural jobsites and would used partial tubes of subfloor glue. Smear it on wet, frozen or snowcovered scrap lumber and you've got a raging hot fire in no time.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #22

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1

100 pectograms of voila should be enough
I use the chicken and cheese voila from the freezer section. It's the best!! Num

Old 11-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I take my hand plane to some pine, cedar and oak. Vacuum seal them with a lighter. You get a lot of tinder in a light, waterproof package.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #24

Liked 3677 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Poured some coconut oil into a shell I found, then dunked a strip of camo burlap I had laying around.
Took just minutes to make.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #25

Liked 762 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp View Post
First step: Gather the supplies -

• Bulk wax
• Cotton discs/wafers
• wax paper for cooling
• old stainless bowl – will get waxy
• Sauce pan, 1/2 full of water
• Set the bowl atop the sauce pan – heat on medium-high, until the wax liquifies.
• I used chop sticks as my insertion/removal tool. As I removed the wafers – they only have to sit in the wax for a few seconds – the built-up wax on the chop sticks caused the wafers to slip and fall back into the bowl. If you are not good with chop sticks, an old fork would work great, or old spatula – tongs would be ideal.
• Let them soak for 5-10 seconds.
• Allow to dry on a sheet of wax paper

I stacked wood in the fire place, tore the wafer about half way along the center line – this exposes the cotton fibers. Apply flame to the torn portion.

Within 30 seconds the disc is burning well

Just a minute or so later, the flame is strong. You can see how the wax provides a lot of fuel for the young fire.

There you have it – easy, light, and inexpensive. I made about 100 FireWafers – I paid about $4 for the block of wax, and a dollar or so for the cotton discs. 100 fires for $5. Compare that to my previous method – Duraflame fire-starting bricks, at $11 for two dozen. I’m ahead financially with this – and these wafers are super-portable.
I've been making those for many years now they are very effective,and easy to carry in my pack.

Here's a tip: find yourself a used /new crockpot to melt your wax in. It's much safer and easier to use.

Best fire starter to carry in your vehicle or camp box is a road flare.

After field dressing animals, my final hand clean-up action is the use of "Purell" type alcohol gel sanitizer. I carry it in one of those small check out line bottles. The gel is highly flammable spread some on your tender and it wil light quickly.

Become steel or get cut.
dmp Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #26

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Decided to give this a shot to add to my b.o.b./hiking backpack. Bought the same cotton rounds as op. I saw someone else mentioned a different type of wax, but all meijer had was gulf paraffin wax.

I decided to make both types, with and without sawdust/wood chips. I didn't have any sawdust and didn't feel like making a mess. So I bought the closest thing meijer had. Hamster bedding. Just a small bag was way too much.

I poured a little into a small snack size ziploc. Then I cut a very small corner off. The bedding has good sized chunks in it as well. I worked the little dust into a cup through the corner. The bigger stuff I decided to bag up for tinder.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #27

Note: hamster bedding is also an eye irritant....

Tip: keep the metal bowl of wax close to your wax paper so you don't dribble wax all over the stove...

Still in process of making these things as I type. Waiting for more wax to melt.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #28

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56
Note: hamster bedding is also an eye irritant....

Tip: keep the metal bowl of wax close to your wax paper so you don't dribble wax all over the stove...

Still in process of making these things as I type. Waiting for more wax to melt.
Awesome man! Can't wait to hear the results

Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1

Awesome man! Can't wait to hear the results
And here they are....

Name:  image-2016959120.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  33.0 KB

What a mess. I can't believe the compressed bag of that size filled 5 gallon bags...

Name:  image-3751150096.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  30.3 KB

They turned out alright. The hamster bedding didn't seem to stick real well in the wax. I ended up spooning some chips from the bowl onto them and let them dry.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #30
Big TOW

Liked 4546 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 4672

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56 View Post
And here they are....

Attachment 74341

What a mess. I can't believe the compressed bag of that size filled 5 gallon bags...

Attachment 74343

They turned out alright. The hamster bedding didn't seem to stick real well in the wax. I ended up spooning some chips from the bowl onto them and let them dry.

MMMMM, Hamster Cookies that double as fire-starters, what a great idea!

Ive been a smoker for way too long so more than once, I was stuck with smokes and no lighter! Im pretty creative when I need my nicotine so early on, I realized my eyeglasses were for more than seeing and protecting my eyeballs. They do a pretty good job of starting fires in a pinch (My right eye being almost blind, the lens is pretty powerful). Other emergency starters were engine manifolds and even steel wool and a 9 volt battery (steel wool is an awesome electrical primer, acts just like a filament/ fuse with very little current). Actually, if you can break the glass away from an incandescent lamp without breaking the filament, it will start fires also with little current.

Im not they kind to be overly prepared at all times for something like this (other than keeping a couple Bic lighters near my AO), my lot in life has always been to Macgyver my way through things (or Rube Goldberg it as we did back in the day).

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 12-16-2012 at 09:57 AM.