East Coast Situation - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > East Coast Situation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
The Great North American Ice Storm was in '98. It stayed for three days and ranged from Upstate NY into Canada and over into Maine. The weight of the ice took down practically all the powerlines. The ice froze the lines to the ground and then they were buried under the falling trees. Our power was out for two weeks. We had propane heat which didn't require power and a running stream and a covered well in the back. We read 'Treasure Island' to our son by the light of hurricane lamps that came from the firehouse. I took showers at a local college. We were fine up here in the mountains. Nobody stole anything, although some tried to gouge off of generators.
Yes, the big one in 98 but we also had one really bad ice storm about 3 years ago .
We didn't have a ton of warning but enough to make sure everyone had a chance to get what ya needed.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #42

Liked 927 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 576

Quote:
Yes, the big one in 98 but we also had one really bad ice storm about 3 years ago .
We didn't have a ton of warning but enough to make sure everyone had a chance to get what ya needed.
That's the one that hammered the living crap out of the Monadnock Region. My buddy in New Ipswich was out of power for 3 weeks. Wasn't quite that bad 1/2 hour east, it usually isn't. I don't think the firewood prices have recovered still......

Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter

That's the one that hammered the living crap out of the Monadnock Region. My buddy in New Ipswich was out of power for 3 weeks. Wasn't quite that bad 1/2 hour east, it usually isn't. I don't think the firewood prices have recovered still......
Yes, that is the one!!! And no wood prices haven't recovered lol.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #44
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1694 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon1976 View Post
I guess we lucked out on that one. We were not nearly as affected as you guys.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #45

Quote:
I guess we lucked out on that one. We were not nearly as affected as you guys.
What part of nh do you live in?

Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #46
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1694 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon1976 View Post
What part of nh do you live in?
??

I live in the NY Adirondack Mts. part of NH.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #47
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
??

So Lake George must be close by then I take it... I used to love going camping there - beautiful area...

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #48

Quote:
??

Nice, I have only been over that way once in my life but it was beautiful.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #49

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
By the way, if anyone had tried to take ANYTHING from us like a generator or anything else or we saw anyone doing any of the crap another poster talked about, he would have had so many bullet holes in him he'd be unrecognizable! You think you're the only one armed? You would be just another looter and a dead one at that!
How you guys got from people ripping people off to looting is beyond me. My point was that people were taking advantage of folks in a bad situation. Apparently you guys are so prepared that it will never happen to you since you have all bases covered. Please...lets not play the bigger gun game. I'm very certain someone has more fire power then you and you may find yourself "unrecognizable"....there is always someone out there who is a bit bigger and badder then you. [/QUOTE]

I quote directly from your post:
"My Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson say that chips are $2, the generator is "on the house" and oh by the way Mr. Fireman I'll be taking those boots and coat....your hosed."
Please explain how this doesn't mean you are going to take a generator and fireman's boots? If that isn't want you meant then please watch how you word things 'cause it sure looks plain to me.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #50
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1850 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 564

One other thing I should have mentioned about generators. I only use premium fuel. It is 20 cents a gallon higher but it lasts longer and the generator run smoother. I live in AZ so we dont get the crappy CA mix. I had nothing but problems with my outboard engine on CA fuel. The ethanol in the gas also destroys the resin based fuel tanks in some boats. It breaks down the resin and it ends up in your carburetor.
Propane powered generators dont produce as much power for the equivalent size (approx 20% loss) but if someone is worried about long term fuel storage it is a good option.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

jeepejeep Likes This