Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > East Coast Situation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1455 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

My Aunt & Uncle have refused to leave their house. It seems the unoccupied houses are targets for looters.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #32
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4615 Times on 2310 Posts
Likes Given: 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
AND I see the politicians in NJ and NY have the solution to the problem of "no gas".

Elected officials in both New York and New Jersey said they’d push for laws requiring gas stations to have generators to supply fuel in a similar crisis.

“This whole generator issue needs to be addressed,” said Councilwoman Gale Brewer.

Gad- the stupid is incredibly thick lately!
Isnt it just like them to sit in a poop-pile, then regulate and legislate our people out of it! They are looking at this as a Money storm not a tragedy! BHO flew over it, hugged a few Republicans then went down the road...

C3, you must know that those of us that live above the Albany Mason Dixon Line do not Act, believe, vote or think like them but we are powerless under the grasp of their sheer numbers. They have concentrated Stupidity into a 40 square mile chunk of our wonderful and beautiful state. When we had the Ice-storm years ago, we didnt need no stinking FEMA, we had great National Guard and Concerned citizens that pulled it all together ASAP.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #33

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
If there is one thing I have learned from the stories coming out of the east coast regarding Sandy its that having a good firearm with plenty of ammo is king. My sister lives out there and was a victim of the storm. Society broke down in less than a day with some places charging $14 for a bag of chips , men dressed up as fireman entering homes and robbing them and places charging $1000+ (cash only) for generators. My Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson say that chips are $2, the generator is "on the house" and oh by the way Mr. Fireman I'll be taking those boots and coat....your hosed.
So you and your firearm decide on what is a fair price?
Why not buy those things ahead of time, and be a responsible, prepared citizen?..

Now the generator is "on the house?", and chips are at a price you deem fair?... now you're a common looter.

What's wrong with charging $1,000 for a generator? If you don't allow price gouging, what incentive is there for me to buy a generator, risk going to a disaster area, and selling it? Now no one gets a generator.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #34

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

I live in New Hampshire and a few years ago we had a horrible ice storm that knocked my power (amd many others) out for ELEVEN DAYS. No one came to check on us, fema was not here or the redcross.
Most of us made it, some died in the storm some from running generators to close to the house.
I guess my point is , do not rely on anyone to take care of you and your loved ones . If its all over the news and you don't evacuate you should not cry when people don't run to your rescue. Stock up before the chaos hits.
Sorry, I don't want to come across heartless but come on, the North east had plenty of warning.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #35

Liked 651 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 391

It's not heartless, it's just the way it is. "They" will not save you. If you think "They" will you're in for a big surprise. Look at what happened with Hurricane Katrina.
If I recall, there have been a few incidents like that ice storm in the last 10 or 15 years. I don't ever recall anything really bad happening. Granted, you'll stink after not showering for a week, but really, if you need the comforts of home, there is almost always someone with power you could visit. Same goes for gas stations. I do not ever remember when there was NO gas available.
Seriously, anyone that lives here should be prepared for this. Like earthquakes in california. Hurricanes in Florida.

Shannon, where in NH?

Old 11-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #36

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

In webster nh its about 20 minutes north of concord.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #37

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I live on Long Island and I was well locked and loaded before the storm hit. No looting or anything around here but we were ready. We were very lucky and only lost power and heat for 6 days. Food wasn't a problem as we are prepared for longer than that! No damage to the house or cars, no long lines waiting for gas because we have some brains and filled all the cars a couple of days before the storm. We had lots of warning for this. I feel terrible for those who lost their lives and so many lost everything. My cousins lived in Breezy point and are OK but lost everything. One's house is now somewhere in the Atlantic, totally washed away.

By the way, if anyone had tried to take ANYTHING from us like a generator or anything else or we saw anyone doing any of the crap another poster talked about, he would have had so many bullet holes in him he'd be unrecognizable! You think you're the only one armed? You would be just another looter and a dead one at that!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Last edited by jeepejeep; 11-06-2012 at 03:32 AM.
astroman Likes This 
Old 11-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1455 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon1976 View Post
I live in New Hampshire and a few years ago we had a horrible ice storm that knocked my power (amd many others) out for ELEVEN DAYS. . . .
The Great North American Ice Storm was in '98. It stayed for three days and ranged from Upstate NY into Canada and over into Maine. The weight of the ice took down practically all the powerlines. The ice froze the lines to the ground and then they were buried under the falling trees. Our power was out for two weeks. We had propane heat which didn't require power and a running stream and a covered well in the back. We read 'Treasure Island' to our son by the light of hurricane lamps that came from the firehouse. I took showers at a local college. We were fine up here in the mountains. Nobody stole anything, although some tried to gouge off of generators.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:43 AM   #39

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
So you and your firearm decide on what is a fair price?
Why not buy those things ahead of time, and be a responsible, prepared citizen?..

Now the generator is "on the house?", and chips are at a price you deem fair?... now you're a common looter.

What's wrong with charging $1,000 for a generator? If you don't allow price gouging, what incentive is there for me to buy a generator, risk going to a disaster area, and selling it? Now no one gets a generator.
Well thats a twist. First...yes...being prepared is very important, but the reality is not everyone is always going to be fully prepared and sometimes for good reason. Life isn't that simple. Being an axx by overcharging people who are in trouble is simply taking advantage of them....period. I was of course adding a little humor with the Smith and Wessson comment....not suggesting to become a "common looter." One day you may find yourself in a tough spot and I hope there is someone there to overcharge you and tell you that maybe you should have been more prepared. Then we will see your tune change.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #40

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

By the way, if anyone had tried to take ANYTHING from us like a generator or anything else or we saw anyone doing any of the crap another poster talked about, he would have had so many bullet holes in him he'd be unrecognizable! You think you're the only one armed? You would be just another looter and a dead one at that![/QUOTE]

How you guys got from people ripping people off to looting is beyond me. My point was that people were taking advantage of folks in a bad situation. Apparently you guys are so prepared that it will never happen to you since you have all bases covered. Please...lets not play the bigger gun game. I'm very certain someone has more fire power then you and you may find yourself "unrecognizable"....there is always someone out there who is a bit bigger and badder then you.