Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > East Coast Situation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 249 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 88

If one is available, go to a marine store. Marine engines can be harmed by ethanol fuel and you can get an enzyme product off the shelf to deal with it. Then add Sta-Bil to keep the gas fresh.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #22

Liked 640 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Yeah, the same generator will have less output on propane than gas, and even less output on NG than propane. The Sta-bil products are considered junk around here now. We use something called StarTron. Comes in a translucent blue tinted bottle. Also, I'm told that at least ECHO puts a good stabilizer in their 2 stroke oil.

If I were crapping $100 bills, I would absolutely have a diesel generator, though.

I also don't know anything about fuel Co-Ops. It's possible that gas is formulated different in other parts of the country......

Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 465 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Yes, that's what I'm told. Around here we have 10% ethanol in our gas. It evaporates quicker than the gas does, and screws up carburetors, if left in them…...
It was explained to me (by a small engine mechanic who was trying to sell me a new carburetor) that the ethanol, being water based, is corrosive to the aluminum used in some carburetor bodies and the corrosion will plug up the passages. Once that happens, there isn't much to be done except replace the carb. And that the ethanol also tends to absorb any water from condensation in the tank, rather than just leaving it as a separate 'puddle' in the bottom of the tank.

I'm not sure just what Sta-bil is supposed to do to prevent this.

clr8ter suggests StarTron. Thanks! I'll look for it!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Dam, no matter what is recommended by one person, there is always someone who calls it junk . I have used Sta-Bil for decades in large and small motors including: lawnmowers, generators, cars, boats (especially boats!), and even AIRPLANES, with no problems. In moisture laden environments use the marine formula. In point of fact, I am looking at a bottle of Star-Tron sitting beside the Sta-Bil in my garage, and use both. YMVV.

And as for gas vs propane vs nat. gas (can't speak for diesel), the owners manual for my 5500 watt gen. says that full output is available on any of those fuels. Use what is best for you.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7562 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

AND I see the politicians in NJ and NY have the solution to the problem of "no gas".

Elected officials in both New York and New Jersey said they’d push for laws requiring gas stations to have generators to supply fuel in a similar crisis.

“This whole generator issue needs to be addressed,” said Councilwoman Gale Brewer.

Gad- the stupid is incredibly thick lately!

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #26

Liked 748 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
AND I see the politicians in NJ and NY have the solution to the problem of "no gas".

Elected officials in both New York and New Jersey said they’d push for laws requiring gas stations to have generators to supply fuel in a similar crisis.

“This whole generator issue needs to be addressed,” said Councilwoman Gale Brewer.

Gad- the stupid is incredibly thick lately!
I heard the shortage was about refineries down

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 11-05-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #27

Well, the problem with the stabil involves the somewhat recent addition of so much alcohol. The blue marine stabil is considered to be better, (again, around here), but I don't use it at all anymore.
Apparently, the alcohol also can form an emulsion somehow, and it will make a gel that plugs up the carbs. This is what must have happened to my sled. It was just a carb clean, no new carbs needed.
I have seen a Generac standby generator with different outputs for different fuels labeled right on the box.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1447 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
AND I see the politicians in NJ and NY have the solution to the problem of "no gas". . . . .etc.
Duh!

Although it's obvious, the only stations up here that had generators to power their pumps during the ice storm, were the independents.

I wonder if any will think maybe they should have fuel in the generator, before the power goes out.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

People down this way would go out and buy a generator when a storm popped up that may have come there way. When the storm did not come, they would go return the generator. No more, Lowes, Home Depot and others now have a policy on NO returns on generators.

Running ethanol in small equipment??? Make sure you have a good fuel filter in your system to trap all the little pieces of rubber like stuff that will be come from your gas lines and gaskets. And put an ethanol fuel stabilizer in the fuel as soon as you get it. Don't even use fuel that has not been treated. Most of the marinas around here still have regular non-ethanol gas available, because of the problems the ethanol creates in boat engines. Nasty stuff. This may help you find ethanol free fuel in your area. http://pure-gas.org/

Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Running ethanol in small equipment??? Make sure you have a good fuel filter in your system to trap all the little pieces of rubber like stuff that will be come from your gas lines and gaskets. And put an ethanol fuel stabilizer in the fuel as soon as you get it. Don't even use fuel that has not been treated. Most of the marinas around here still have regular non-ethanol gas available, because of the problems the ethanol creates in boat engines. Nasty stuff. This may help you find ethanol free fuel in your area. http://pure-gas.org/
Yeah, we have no choice....VERY few non alcohol gas stations around here. That's why we are using the Star Tron, it's meant specifically to help with the alcohol problem. As far as I'm aware, the parts in newer small engines are made to stand up to ethanol. I haven't heard if it eating up rubber parts.