East Coast Situation - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > East Coast Situation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1077 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Well, a good generator will cost you $1k + in the middle of the summer when nothing is going on. Mine was $1400, and it's not a super expensive one. You can't just go out and get a thousand gallons of gas for it, gas goes bad in a month. So, you have to get a supply ASAP when something is about to happen.

And seriously, who in the hell is concerned with getting some chips when their house is blowing away? And tell me, why would I just give someone my generator, when they were the ones who didn't prepare ahead of time?

Old 11-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #12

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Weekly World News? Are you kidding me? Besides it also doesn't mention anybody actually looting.
Well...this time of year I have alot of AM Radio interference throughout the spectrum. So...I can't always recieve George Noory on Coast to Coast AM...my go to source for news. I sometimes resort to WWN.... my number two news source in a crisis.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #13

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

gas goes bad in a month? really **** ive used fuel 6 months old ran just fine also they make additive so it dont go bad we have a 500 gallon fuel tank for the farm and in winter we hardly use it stays great

Old 11-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
...and that there was some gun brandishing in Far Rockaway over a position in a gas line. He was arrested and is up for 15 years, illegal handgun.
This is my problem with gun control laws: Had this idiot "brandished" a sword, he would've been arrested for assault or something along those lines. Instead, he is arrested for an illegitimate and unconstitutional POS "law"like having an "illegal" firearm; there should be no such thing as an illegal gun.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Seeya Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #15

Quote:
gas goes bad in a month? really **** ive used fuel 6 months old ran just fine also they make additive so it dont go bad we have a 500 gallon fuel tank for the farm and in winter we hardly use it stays great
Yes, that's what I'm told. Around here we have 10% ethanol in our gas. It evaporates quicker than the gas does, and screws up carburetors, if left in them. Not all the time, though. If you add stabilizer, you can stretch it out some. Really, the key seems to be to keep this gas out of your carbs until it's time to use it. Or, start engine every 2 weeks to run new gas into the carb. 2 years ago, this problem got my sled, and it cost almost $600 to get it running again. With a generator, you'd be out of luck, since you would need it to run on the spot.......

Having said all that, I've put 2 stroke gas mix in my chainsaw left over from the previous season, and it ran fine. Go figure.....

Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #16

Liked 1837 Times on 952 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
This is my problem with gun control laws: Had this idiot "brandished" a sword, he would've been arrested for assault or something along those lines. Instead, he is arrested for an illegitimate and unconstitutional POS "law"like having an "illegal" firearm; there should be no such thing as an illegal gun.
Here are the details:

Sean Bailey, 35, was cuffed shortly after he pointed a pistol at a driver who complained when he zipped ahead in his white 2010 BMW to the front of a lengthy line for gas at a station located at the intersection of Astoria Boulevard and 43rd Street on Thursday, November 1, said the district attorney.

“If you don’t pull back, you’re not getting gas tonight,” Bailey allegedly said to a 29-year-old motorist during the early morning dispute, according to a criminal complaint.

Cops later found a loaded .25 caliber Phoenix Raven pistol in Bailey’s left boot at the ankle after his arrest at around 3 a.m., officials said.

He is charged with second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, second-degree menacing and faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted, the district attorney said.

I think he's an *******.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2286 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 669

My Honda 3000 generator has a valve that cuts off the fuel supply to the carb. Turn it off while the engine is running and the carb will run dry. Just takes an extra couple of seconds to start. The Honda is also very quiet. We have a 5th wheel trailer that can act as an emergency shelter. In an advanced warning situation it would be fully prepared. Generator, solar, propane and 50 gallons of fresh water on board. The fridge, stove water heater and furnace can all run on propane.
You can get propane powered generators if you are worried about long term fuel storage. A good propane camp stove and/or propane BBQ with tank adapters. Dont forget a lantern. I keep my eye out for the 5 gallon propane tanks at yard sales. Exchange them for a full tank for $15-20 at markets.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #18

Quote:
I think he's an *******.
Yup. There's the understatement of the day......

JTJ, I have a Generac with the same shutoff, and I do that, also. However, I have been told that running the motor to drain the carb doesn't always work. There can be some left in there. Currently, I use Tru-Fuel, which contains no alcohol, and is supposed to stay fresh for 2 years. It's $7 a quart, but is actually cheap insurance.
I know what you mean about Honda's being quiet. That brand was my 1st choice, but in the end, I couldn't justify the extra expense....

Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #19

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

maybe gettin fuel from the co op is diffrente type ive never had fuel go bad and ive let it sit in motors all winter never firing them up but maybe once in 5-6months

Old 11-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 745 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
My Honda 3000 generator has a valve that cuts off the fuel supply to the carb. Turn it off while the engine is running and the carb will run dry. Just takes an extra couple of seconds to start……

You can get propane powered generators if you are worried about long term fuel storage.
I've had multiple problems with the 10% ethanol gas over the last eight years or so. Serious problems, since carburetors aren't cheap. Stabilizer didn't seem to help that much. I finally installed cut-off valves on my mowers, pressure washer and generators so I can run
carbs dry for storage. Some Honda carbs come with a bowl drain valve. I also found a fuel place that has gas without ethanol…and I use stabilizer.

My problem with propane-fueled generators is that they don't seem to be as efficient as gas. My preference is a diesel powered unit. They cost more but the fuel is stable and they get more hours per gallon of run time. Any way you cut it, running a generator even a few hours a day is very expensive. They will go through an amazing amount of fuel.