Duh! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Duh!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1001 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Probably most of what is in a hardware store falls into the useful/would be sorely missed category. Some things like hammers you just buy once, and done, others are consumables. You'd drive yourself crazy trying to collect everything you MIGHT need.
As for duct tape, I don't have much need for it. One of the more useless items man has invented. It's so sticky that when it sticks to something (meaning something you don't want it to, or are not ready for it to stick to), it won't come off. When you desperately need it to stick to something, (meaning that something is about to fall on your foot), it refuses to stick. In addition, if you leave that crap for any length of time, and need to get it off, good luck. Nothing short of Nitric acid will do the job.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1917 Times on 1360 Posts
Likes Given: 2155

Default Twofer................

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
A hammer and screwdriver.
My mother found and gave me my fathers old hatchet with the hammer head. That thing went to hell and back. Working for Texaco back in the 40's he used it to build board roads..........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #13

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
You prep? According to one of our resident liberals preppers are racist. He compared preppers to the black racist that works for the government and wants to kill whites. Shame on you.
I thought I WAS the resident liberal. But, as I like to say, I'm a conservative's worst nightmare -- an ARMED liberal.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
I feel like toilet paper would be something sorely missed when you can't run to the store for more. All that food ya eat's gonna come back out and i don't think most people want to be using a corncob like the olden days. Or any other type of paper for that matter.
My wife started couponing a while back, so we usually have a fair supply of toilet paper, but nothing that would last a zombie apocalypse. An alternative would be one of those pump up garden sprayers. Just hose down once the business is done. We have one. It also makes a decent emergency shower.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Lot of things I can substitute for, or work around.

Salt I cannot substitute for or work around. Cheap, does not spoil, thousands of uses.
I have several of the l lb. boxes, but every so often I add another. Also pepper. Also tabasco sauce --god knows what I would have to eat, and you can choke just about anything down with enough tabasco.

Last edited by txpossum; 08-27-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #16

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum

My wife started couponing a while back, so we usually have a fair supply of toilet paper, but nothing that would last a zombie apocalypse. An alternative would be one of those pump up garden sprayers. Just hose down once the business is done. We have one. It also makes a decent emergency shower.
That would work if you have a bunch of water like a lake or well that isn't likely to run out. I wouldn't want to be wasting my drinking water on my butt. Lol. You can only keep so much toilet paper though. I live in a house with 6 people and toilet paper goes quick! You can ration it out of course but you'll run pretty quick. I wonder what a year supply of tp looks like...

Old 08-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
That would work if you have a bunch of water like a lake or well that isn't likely to run out. I wouldn't want to be wasting my drinking water on my butt. Lol. You can only keep so much toilet paper though. I live in a house with 6 people and toilet paper goes quick! You can ration it out of course but you'll run pretty quick. I wonder what a year supply of tp looks like...
Lucky that we have a couple of wells . . . one that we're hooked up to for house water, and an old one that went dry, but later filled back up. The main one is pretty deep, about 180 feet or so, but the old one is only about 60 feet down, and is possible to get water from it without electricity. The problem would be filtering the damn rust out of the water . Lot of iron ore. Also, there is a nice spring a couple of miles away that I know about.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

If we accept the scenario where most of the rioting and killing will happen in the first six to nine months of whatever tragedy triggers it, then prepping to survive alone or relatively alone is done for a one-year period. After that, people will look for others with which to communicate, trade, farm and flourish. At that point, anything you have that is an extra or duplicate to what you already have can be traded for items you now miss and for which you wish you would have better prepared. No one can possibly think of every single thing they will want or need and it would not be economically feasible to try to gather it all. But having an extra hammer, can opener or box of ammo will become the new barter items and will provide a currency to make everyone's life easier.

So this means no one should feel bad about buying three axes, a dozen rolls of duct tape or a 100lb bucket of nails. Someone that has an alcohol still or seeds to start a garden will be willing to trade! There will always be a need for it somewhere and it will fill in the holes we didn't plan for.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Lucky that we have a couple of wells . . . one that we're hooked up to for house water, and an old one that went dry, but later filled back up. The main one is pretty deep, about 180 feet or so, but the old one is only about 60 feet down, and is possible to get water from it without electricity. The problem would be filtering the damn rust out of the water . Lot of iron ore. Also, there is a nice spring a couple of miles away that I know about.
I believe a Berkey Filtration System will filter out rust, along with a bunch of VOCs. If it can do stagnant ground water, a well with a bit of iron shouldn't be a problem.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #20

Liked 118 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I don't prep, but if I did...one of the things I would invest in is a well with a hand pump. Also, seeds for gardening, jars for canning and I would learn how to cure meat via smoking, jerkey making etc.

If I lived in the country, I would have chickens and be thinking about a small pond to stock with catfish...big investment on some of those items.

Things to get....lumber, hand tools, fasteners of all types, bleach, salt, dog, oil lanterns, Just go primitive camping for about two weeks and you will come up with all sorts of ideas....especially if you replicate to some degree survivor man

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.