Dry Runs?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Dry Runs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3065 Times on 1761 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Default Dry Runs?

Looking at the thread of "Been on the site for a while", got me to wondering.

How many of us have had an oppurtunity to test our plans on a "dry run"? Take a week vacation, cut the water, cut the electricity, use generators, use only cash, cook on the grill, use only the fuel we currently have on hand, etc... to see if there are any changes we would make.

Or hope for the best?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Better yet, go camping.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
jbd

We go camping at least 15 times a year. You will find out real quick how prepared you are without power,ac, and all the comfy stuff of home. We have had a camper for the last couple of years so its a little more like home but we still do the tents and sleeping bags in the winter just for simplicity and to teach the kids the real way people camp and get by. Memories I would not trade for anything.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Camping is great, but it is a "planned" exercise (if you will).
Scenario, no electricity for refrigerators/freezers, no water, no outside source for fuel/food. No electricity to get gas from the pumps, no atm's or any way to cash a check, and all happens at once (as a natural disaster).
Would your supplies last a week?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
no atm's or any way to cash a check, and all happens at once (as a natural disaster).
I noticed when i moved back down here, many months after Katrina, that the local banks had shinynew natural gas generators online now. I wonder, is that for the ATM's & such or just the security system? Most seem to be fairly large units, bout like a sub-compact car.

BTW, "dry runs" sounds like a truly pitiful and unpleasant condition; maybe some Pepto would help.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Camping is great, but it is a "planned" exercise (if you will).
Scenario, no electricity for refrigerators/freezers, no water, no outside source for fuel/food. No electricity to get gas from the pumps, no atm's or any way to cash a check, and all happens at once (as a natural disaster).
Would your supplies last a week?
Actually any "dry run" will also be a "planned exercise" if you take a week off from work to test your capabilities. If you have a "bug out plan" in place, you might want to run through that at some point to test its viability. If you are married, and have children, I would not encourage you to try this without giving the wife a heads up, but you might spring it on the kids in order to emphasize the nature of the idea. Good luck if you try it and please report back as to how it went.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I noticed when i moved back down here, many months after Katrina, that the local banks had shinynew natural gas generators online now. I wonder, is that for the ATM's & such or just the security system? Most seem to be fairly large units, bout like a sub-compact car.
I've seen them too, but if the stores have no communication to the banks, your debit card is useless except for possibly the bank itself.

When I hear of "I've got 15 gallons of fuel and a bathtub of water...", would that be enough? What amount of time is one talking about "when SHTF"?

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I've seen them too, but if the stores have no communication to the banks, your debit card is useless except for possibly the bank itself.

When I hear of "I've got 15 gallons of fuel and a bathtub of water...", would that be enough? What amount of time is one talking about "when SHTF"?
Depends on what kind of S is HTF. Another Katrina type weather incident? I'd plan for 6 months minimum, and pray for less. Red Dawn invasion? Well, we've all seen the movie......

Old 07-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
jbd

I think that camping keeps you on the right path because we keep the supplies we will need to get by for a good amount of time. I try to keep water,can goods,mre,firewood,meds,ect. I have five in my home. I try and keep supplies for about three months. My thought being if we need longer than three months it will be truly a shtf situation and we will have to leave and try and get more supplies. Keeping three months for five is expensive and the space it takes up makes three months about the max I can do.