drinking water storage & water independence

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > drinking water storage & water independence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default drinking water storage & water independence

Well, when you come across articles like this (linked from Yahoo) makes me constantly wonder....could drinkable water grind to a halt over time? Putting SHTF-type crisis aside, we have to be prepared to consider issues like extreme climate change-related worldwide water shortages hitting various regions including the states.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/11/4828128/water-scarcity-crisis-for-us-fueled-by-climate-change

Ive been considering the Berkey water filtration system as a backup along with storing up as many cases of water as possible. Anyone have experience with Berkey and can attest to its quality and longevity?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have wondered if the water condensed by the A/C and dehumidifier could be easily filtered to the point of tastiness and safety. My dehumidifier pulls out a couple of gallons a day; I have considered testing it on the cats.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Well, when you come across articles like this (linked from Yahoo) makes me constantly wonder....could drinkable water grind to a halt over time? Putting SHTF-type crisis aside, we have to be prepared to consider issues like extreme climate change-related worldwide water shortages hitting various regions including the states.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/11/4828128/water-scarcity-crisis-for-us-fueled-by-climate-change

Ive been considering the Berkey water filtration system as a backup along with storing up as many cases of water as possible. Anyone have experience with Berkey and can attest to its quality and longevity?
I just got back from their site, and I honestly couldn't see what type of filter it was. I would suggest a reverse osmosis filter and boil and cool the water before you run it through. Remember, boil the water for at least a few minutes, then let it cool to ambient temperature.

I did see one thing on their site which I strongly disagree with. They mentioned 10 gallons per person per week. They may have been talking about strictly drinking and cooking, so that could be the problem. The common recommendation for water during a disaster is three gallons per person per day. That includes drinking, cooking, washing dishes, and bathing. Even with that amount you will have to ration water.

Here is a link to a PDF from the CDC on making water safe.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/emergency/09_202278-B_Make_Water_Safe_Flyer_508.pdf
Old 10-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #4

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

orangello don't drink the water from the dehumidifier. but I don't care if you give it to your cats or bears. In theory this water is perfect distilled water but the reality is that the coils on dehumidifiers pick up everything in the air and then become a good spot for mold, fungus, and bacteria to grow.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #5

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Most water is safe to drink after it is boiled without the need of expensive filters. The filters on water filters stay wet for quite awhile and if used very much never dry. This makes a good breeding ground for all kinds of very small living things. Put the water through a coffee filter and then boil it. The next day use a new coffee filter as they are less than a penny apiece usually.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.