Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Dressing the part~~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Alright everyone, calm it down here this is a discussion that's all, everyone's opinion is valid for themselves.

Now all of you listen up because I am about to give my opinion - and it really does matter!

To the OP, I get what you are saying, to those in urban/suburban areas and who are trying to bug out with lots of other people around - you are correct, dressing in civilian clothing will be fine - the reasons are that if there are roadblocks or people running around -and you are unable to hide in bushes and go rambo, one will logically travel on streets, one will be around unprepared people who will be dressed in regular clothing, and there will be LE who may be looking for "trouble makers" including militia types.

So it may be beneficial to dress normally at the start in order to avoid attracting attention from LE or civilian looters who may target you especially because they think you'll have awesome stuff.

Once in the woods, wearing regular camo (ie just drab khakis or camo hunter jackets) or civilian "ranch clothes" will also
be fine for day to day, because it won't attract attention, and since camo doesn't work well if you are walking around doing day to day stuff. You'll just look weird- ninja farming? imagine a camoed guy mliking a cow - it just won't work. So yes civilian clothes might be useful and will not cause a stir.

NOTE: when I say civilian clothing I do not mean neon pink shirts and skinny jeans - I mena regular, even drab clothing, jeans, khakis, brown/green/white/tan/plaid shirts. whatever, be smart, don't attract attention - just dress comfortably and normally. Nothing that will make people look at you, and you can still wear colours that can fade into the background a bit. You just don't need to look like a marine with forest face-paint while shopping at Canadian Tire.

However! I do value camo, or at least drab clothing - and would expect one to have it around at their bug out location that way if one knows that a fight is coming, or one wants to get out and patrol or just hunt, etc they have the option of being camoed.

Long story short- fit your clothing to your environment - in an urban city, with lots of people and no real combat, look like a civilian - maybe tone it down with drab colours, but don't go so overboard that you attract even more attention to yourself. As far as in the woods, ranch clothes or camo - they both fit, wear what you like, have both, and just try to not attract attention.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #52

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I will wear the clothes I already own, if those happen to be bdu pants or my camo field jacket (for the winter months) then so be it.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #53

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I love to dress the part when I play the game.
I'll be the one in black...