Dressing the part~~ - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Dressing the part~~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1971 Times on 1260 Posts
Likes Given: 4467

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
Until I got hijacked, the point of the conversation was to not draw attention to yourself by dressing differently than the general population. I like the BDU cargo pants, I have several pairs of them. They are OK for early deer season while the green leaves are on, but, if you leave the hunt, you stand out. Tan Carhartts on the other hand function in most all environments, and no one would give you a second notice.

I do not know why I have been singled out for attack by this person but it is becoming very annoying.
Don't worry, he grows on you after awhile.

And I agree with your original point. I don't think the tactical look would work out very well if the SHTF. I've stated before I think the homeless look and shopping cart is the way to go.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #32

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Grows is right, sort of like a zombie. There is a lot of talk, most of it BS but, there remains the possibility that society will degenerate as a result of the upcoming elections. If so, then we have to be available to fight, but we have to not be visible, like the French resistance. Things kept breaking down but nobody saw or heard anything.

Dressing the part~~ - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum

I believe that if I needed to go to formal attire, I'd have this handy. This is the rifle I mentioned in the CMP thread in the semi auto forum. It is loaded with clips.
Dressing the part~~ - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum

Old 07-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #33

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

I also thought a less military looking BOB could be a benefit. Staying low key. Maybe find matching backpacks for me and my daughter. Wait!!! Yes talk about unassuming, ah how cute daddy and daughter have matching backpacks, lets rob em. Nevermind, they both are now pointing guns at us

Old 07-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #34

Its the old ~~if you mess with the bull, you will get the horn~~ I tell clients all the time if you keep looking for trouble, you are going to find it. It is my theory that you avoid detection until the elements favor you.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #35

Liked 490 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Due respect to all here, but I find these SHTF threads tiresome. Much like the CCW threads where everybody's absolutely sure how they'll react when confronted by Mr. Bad Guy. Fact is, most of us don't know and hope we never have to find out. Unless you're living 24/7 on your rural property, do you think you'll be able to get there? And who's to say someone won't get to it first, then what? How far away from home is work? What if you're visiting Grandma across town? Or you're at Disneyworld with the kids? And even if your bug-out's successful, what will there be to come back to when/if things reverse themselves? Everything you left behind will have been either looted or burned. No, too many "what ifs" at play here. And before you flame me too bad, I'll be one of those Quantrill mentioned. I'll be holding out at home till I'm dead, starved or things get back to normal. I have too much stuff and nowhere to take it.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #36

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Not too tiresome since you replied... Lol jk bro.

1.5 million Americans without electricity last week... Prepare for everything, ready for anything...

Old 07-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #37

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Due respect to all here, but I find these SHTF threads tiresome. Much like the CCW threads where everybody's absolutely sure how they'll react when confronted by Mr. Bad Guy. Fact is, most of us don't know and hope we never have to find out. Unless you're living 24/7 on your rural property, do you think you'll be able to get there? And who's to say someone won't get to it first, then what? How far away from home is work? What if you're visiting Grandma across town? Or you're at Disneyworld with the kids? And even if your bug-out's successful, what will there be to come back to when/if things reverse themselves? Everything you left behind will have been either looted or burned. No, too many "what ifs" at play here. And before you flame me too bad, I'll be one of those Quantrill mentioned. I'll be holding out at home till I'm dead, starved or things get back to normal. I have too much stuff and nowhere to take it.
so stay out of them Mr Killjoy

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1260 Posts
Likes Given: 4467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post

There are a lot of good points there. None of us can know exactly what the future holds and that's why "prepping" (I hate that term by the way) is all about being as prepared as possible for anything. A lot of the things you mentioned are things most preppers have already considered at some point or should. But as you pointed out, none of us can know exactly how we'll act in a bad situation. Still we can try our best to be prepared as possible for whatever, and that includes being prepared to bug out. It would have to be really bad for me to ever do that but it could happen. The world is full of refugees due to all sorts of reasons from war to natural disaster. Hopefully I can be prepared enough to not end up in that situation? Or end up as one of the people that stayed but should have left (Katrina).

Old 07-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #39

Liked 490 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not as bad as I thought. I said at the outset, I meant no disrespect to anyone here, it's the subject. We get variations of the same thing pretty much every week. How many times can you re-invent the wheel? If you've got a plan and think you can pull it off, good, I hope you're right and it goes like clockwork. That said, there's an old saying in combat. The best plan only lasts till first contact.

Last edited by Donn; 07-07-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #40

The point was exactly that. Dont call attention to yourself, avoid contact.