Dorm-legal BOB

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Dorm-legal BOB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dorm-legal BOB

If I happen to be up here at school when the SHTF, I'd like to be prepared. If possible, I'd like everything to fit into a large-ish backpack, as I have a pretty sturdy one already.

First priority: Good folding-blade knife, suitable for any use including defense. As I live in the residence halls, any kind of firearm is right out. Although knives are counted as weapons, the de facto consensus is that fixed blades are barred but folding tend to be okay. Any recommendations?

Second: Water. I have a couple of large Lexan bottles, but I drink a lot of water, so I'd like to have a means of getting more. Iodine tablets/compact filter of some kind?

Third: Food. I'm thinking three to five days' worth. I have a Costco pack of Clif bars up here to snack on, but I'm sure you diehards know of a better option for serious scenarios.

Fourth: First aid kit. Got a pretty decent one, but I don't know if it's as complete as it could be. It has:
- Bandages
- Alchol swabs
- Gauze pads
- Medical tape
- ACE wraps
- Antibiotic ointment
- Pain reliever

Other stuff:
- Strike-anywhere matches
- Compass
- Down sleeping bag w/ compression sack
- Socks and underwear
- Duct tape
- Flashlight
- Paracord
- Chapstick
- Gloves
- Season-appropriate outerwear

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, help is appreciated. I participated in BSA during grade school, so I know how to use my compass, make a fire, and basic survival. I already wear a pair of good hiking boots every day.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 02-21-2010 at 04:05 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2010, 02:40 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Price is no object for the knife. Some possibilities:
Ultimate Hunter : Tactical Knives, Folding Knives, Pocket Knives (Cold Steel)
American Lawman : Cold Steel Folding Knives / Pocket Knives
Recon I
AK-47

Not really sure what I should be looking for.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:11 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry to triple post, but I could see something like this being very useful, and unquestionably legal:

Special Forces Shovel With Sheath : Cold Steel (High Performance Knives)

Old 02-21-2010, 03:53 AM   #4

Maybe some Vaseline or KY to rub on your arms and legs so the zombies can't get a good grip when they try to grab you. Other than that you seem pretty prepared. Shark suits are good for actual zombie bites but they probably cost a lot and take up loads of space.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:58 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Here's a few suggestions you may want to think about. Of course, weight is always a consideration, but you know what you can carry.

Sanitary napkins and tampons
Chap stick or something similar
Sweater/sweatshirt
poncho
duct tape
paracord
flashlight
gloves (pigskin work gloves or something similar, not bulky)

Don't forget some basic hygiene items like a toothbrush and toothpaste.

Take a look at Katadyn Extreme water filter bottles.

You may also want to include a hatchet as well. It can give you a bit more reach than a knife.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 02-21-2010 at 04:01 AM.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:02 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Sanitary napkins and tampons
Chap stick or something similar
Sweater/sweatshirt
poncho
duct tape
paracord
flashlight
gloves (work gloves or something similar, but not bulky)

Don't forget some basic hygiene items like a toothbrush and toothpaste.

Take a look at Katadyn Extreme water filter bottles.
Awesome. I have a nice hoodie and a waterproof windbreaker, which I can layer to make a pretty decent winter coat. Duct tape and flashlight, definitely. Gotta see if I can find a decent human-powered light, spare batteries are heavy. Where's the best place to get paracord?

Hatchet is out, would be considered a weapon. Does that shovel or an e-tool of some kind look like a reasonable option? Or is it just a gimmick?

Old 02-21-2010, 04:14 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have a folding E-tool. I don't think it's worth hauling the extra weight, I just keep it with the rest of the supplies. The hatchet was just a thought and not what I would consider a necessity.

I have a very basic SureFire flashlight Surefire G2 LED Flashlight But when I bought it, it was twenty bucks cheaper. I just keep the batteries fresh.

A mini Mag Lite still works, is lightweight and is dirt cheap and I used them dependably for years, but I prefer the G2 now. You don't need to go overboard, just get something sturdy and keep the batteries fresh.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-21-2010, 04:30 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

By the way, the point of this bag is to make the 80-100 mile hike, depending on route, from university to home. I'm figuring about 20 miles a day, does that seem right?

EDIT: A thought. Maybe once I get it put together I'll try the trip this summer. Could be fun.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:34 AM   #9

Better get some really comfortable, durable shoes or boots. To me, there is nothing worse than having something wrong with your feet and having to walk a long distance.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:48 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey-you-guys View Post
Better get some really comfortable, durable shoes or boots. To me, there is nothing worse than having something wrong with your feet and having to walk a long distance.
Covered, mentioned in the OP. I walk three or four miles a day around campus, not to mention I'm an avid hiker during the summer, so I've definitely got good boots.