Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo

National Geographic Channel had a show on called Doomsday Preppers. Showed 4 different preppers and graded them on their preps. It was a fair presentation, didn't make them look like total kooks! My only problem with it was that it identified the folks by name and city, not a good thing. Then there was Dilbert the prepper in the Sunday paper. Looks like prepping is going mainstream.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Unfortunately its becoming a reality with a congress and president racing to level destruction through spending its prolly gonna beat the dec 21 2012 deadline.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-02-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Interesting show. I, too was really surprised that they allowed their names and homes to be showed...especially the woman who had food trucked in at night so the neighbors wouldn't notice that the 'Bedfords' stored food, then showed her home and on national television. Do you think that maybe the show uses false names, etc. to protect people? I just find it very hard to believe that she would go to that much trouble to blend in and then show her name and neighborhood on tv.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I wonder how much money the 4th guy had tied up in his setup. Looked fairly interesting.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

It's kinda weird that anyone is a "doomsday" prepper. Having a store of food, water and other stuff for any problem, big or small, is smart. You don't end up spending any more money doing this and if you have a veggie garden you end up saving money.

I admit to starting my prepping as a reaction to current events, but since getting into it I wouldn't change anything if magically tomorrow current events did an about-face.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I got started because of the "Millenium" scare and just kept right on going. Looking back, I'm amazed at how unprepared and naive I was.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #7

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Is this a series or a 1-time special? I looked to see when it is re-airing and couldn't find anything through the 16th.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA