Doomsday preppers - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Doomsday preppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Agreed as I stated on the previous page ,gold will be good for people that carry alot of money in the banks , cash that in and get something you can take with you besides paper money which may have no value in a collapse , but as far as trade concerns gold wont buy what people dont have a excess of , like the essentials, food, water, ammo , firearms etc , these people will keep what they have that will continue to keep them alive , you might be able to beat someone to death with a gold bar, but you cant eat gold is the way I look at it .

Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #102
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 322 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 63

It is not that gold/silver will be overly useful during a collapse, it is after a collapse and the rebuilding begins that people with gold/silver will be the ones with real wealth. I buy silver and in all quantities from Merc dimes up. Will be much easier to barter with a small amount than 1 oz gold pieces.

After society begins to get back on its feet, all of the paper stocks will still be useless. Just because you own 10,000 shares of some companies stock does not mean you will have any value if the company never comes back. All your holding at that point firestarter. I have retirement in American Century Investments, if the whole thing goes in the crapper I won't be able to cash out a dime from my accounts before they are gone.

Once society begins to make a comeback and if you survive that long, what will be worth any value is land, gold/silver and the ability to make something useful.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #103
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks
It is not that gold/silver will be overly useful during a collapse, it is after a collapse and the rebuilding begins that people with gold/silver will be the ones with real wealth. I buy silver and in all quantities from Merc dimes up. Will be much easier to barter with a small amount than 1 oz gold pieces.

After society begins to get back on its feet, all of the paper stocks will still be useless. Just because you own 10,000 shares of some companies stock does not mean you will have any value if the company never comes back. All your holding at that point firestarter. I have retirement in American Century Investments, if the whole thing goes in the crapper I won't be able to cash out a dime from my accounts before they are gone.

Once society begins to make a comeback and if you survive that long, what will be worth any value is land, gold/silver and the ability to make something useful.
I agree. I do not invest a lot because of this. I just plan to make sure that my house is paid off before I retire and that payment may equal whatever dividends I might have seen from stocks or bonds. I have my teacher retirement plan and then one annuity. I am not counting on Social Security to be around when I retire.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:42 AM   #104
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8134 Times on 4695 Posts
Likes Given: 10492

So what are the different silver coins worth anyhow? I mean say if you were to buy $500 worth of ammo from me what would you give me in silver coins? That is kind of the problem I have. How do you value a Morgan dollar or a Mercury dime? What is a nickel worth (other than 5 cents)? I understand that most pre-1974 is it (?) coins are worth more for their metal content than they are for their numismatic value (for the most part, except for very rare coins which would in SHTF be worth the same as the others I presume).

I understand the concept of carrying over wealth by having precious metals, so I am not asking on that question. I am asking about trade value during the SHTF.