Dollar Collapses Tomorrow - Now What? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Dollar Collapses Tomorrow - Now What?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If cash was worthless I have plenty of stuff to barter. A fifth of whiskey will get most anything you need in a SHTF situation.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #42
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8220 Times on 4234 Posts
Likes Given: 9466

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If cash was worthless I have plenty of stuff to barter. A fifth of whiskey will get most anything you need in a SHTF situation.
Yup, cash, ching and other monetary devices really are only worth what others will pay to get it. If the dollar collapses, a wheelbarrow of cash wont be worth one fresh killed rabbit if your hungry You cant eat ching, you can start a fire with paper cash but your better off burning your old tax returns instead (More BTU's)! In the boonies, we already trade nearly as much as we buy and have most of the base materials needed to keep a small community viable.

One thing that concerns me is the seed stock not the stock exchange. Most seed stock has been made sterile purposely so that each year, you need fresh seed from Monsanto, DuPont or another company that likely wont be very functional during a SHTF scenario. I think Im going to start stocking up on seeds like Johny Appleseed did! Seeds will be worth a hell of allot more than cash or precious metals when people are hungry.
People Like This 
Old 11-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #43

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Use every bit if useless cash I can get to buy a busload of stock that will be dang near free and wait for it all to stabilize...again. I still kick myself for not buying a bunch after the market tanked in BO's first term.

I have been buying old silver coins for years. You can get them for their silver weight and they will work just fine when the paper is being used for bum fodder. After th elasst decade or so I have a pretty big stash of that

We have a few dozen chickens, some cattle and canned a lot for years form a few different gardens. being in the country that is just second nature anyway. Also have a lot of non perishables stored as well. So, I"ll be able to keep my fat as$ old fart figure just fine.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #44

Liked 3619 Times on 2067 Posts
Likes Given: 2520

PRE is part of prepare, just sayin'.

The old adage, "Don't wait until you're thirsty to start digging your well," is as simple as it gets!
People Like This 
Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #45
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
PRE is part of prepare, just sayin'.

The old adage, "Don't wait until you're thirsty to start digging your well," is as simple as it gets!
I like that one! Gonna use it soon I can tell!

Prepare to be prepared is better than not preparing at all. Some people live in places where being prepared means your doing things much different than those around you. Other places like where I live in upstate NY, prepared is a state of mind and a daily necessity especially in the winter. Calling a friend wont warm your feet or feed your kids when the roads have 4' of fresh snow on them and an empty generator is just a boat anchor.

When I was a young lad, people that lived in our neck of the woods all knew they had to be prepared to carry on when nobody could get to you but now we have Rural Wannabees that think that Brother will come running no matter what. They will parish and fast if a real SHTF scenario plays out, i will grow food on their abandoned lot when they are gone!
eatmydust Likes This 
Old 11-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #46

Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

To the people who say gold & silver will be useless; Think of it this way. You will NOT be able to acquire everything you need for a SHTF situation. In part because you don't know what form it will take. Now, someone else is in the same boat, but they happen to have an item you need. So you trade gold to them for that item, and then they take it and trade the gold to someone else. Why not trade item for item? Well, if you both have something the other needs, of equal value.......will that happen every time? Nope. G & S will be trade mediums. G & S specifically because they have such a long history of doing just that.
TLuker Likes This 
Old 11-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #47
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
One thing that concerns me is the seed stock not the stock exchange. Most seed stock has been made sterile purposely so that each year, you need fresh seed from Monsanto, DuPont or another company that likely wont be very functional during a SHTF scenario. I think Im going to start stocking up on seeds like Johny Appleseed did! Seeds will be worth a hell of allot more than cash or precious metals when people are hungry.
One thing to keep in mind is that most seed loses viability in storage, some faster than others. Onion seed is supposed to last only one season, and some others will last up to 5 years- depending on which "experts" you rely on. Then again I have planted tomato seed that I found in my shed that had been there for some 15 or 20 years and got probably a 90% germination out of it.

Best keep your seed stores fresh by planting them and harvesting a portion of the crop as seed every year.
TLuker Likes This 
Old 11-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #48
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1338 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I agree with Trip. Epic.

Back just before the Y2K "scare" my wife asked me if she should get some "extra" cash out of the bank "just in case".

I told her we wouldn't need it because we have plenty of ammo. Funny thing is that more recently I inherited a metric butt-load of ammo from a guy who went all "Doomsday Prepper" back before Y2K!!!. How ironic that he would die just a few months before the ammo shortage. I sold off a lot of the surplus ammo and made his widow a bit of extra cash from stuff she was just going to give away.
I want an Imperial butt-load of ammo. I don't trust them metrics too much, post-SHTF, if you know what I mean.

It's like 10,000 rounds when all you need is a gun. It's like aaaammmooo, when you don't have an AK. It's a little too ironic and, yeah, I really do think.

Sorry… Sometimes I have to entertain myself and, oh hell, never mind.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #49

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
I want an Imperial butt-load of ammo. I don't trust them metrics too much, post-SHTF, if you know what I mean. It's like 10,000 rounds when all you need is a gun. It's like aaaammmooo, when you don't have an AK. It's a little too ironic and, yeah, I really do think. Sorry… Sometimes I have to entertain myself and, oh hell, never mind.
Does an imperial butt load come with a blaster AND light saber or just the blaster
People Like This 
Old 11-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #50
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jord1985 View Post
Does an imperial butt load come with a blaster AND light saber or just the blaster
Not sure about that buttload thing, somehow describes something that stinks more than lots of something! Must be regional, we try not to carry Buttloads and frown on inconsistencies like "Taking a Sh!t", thats crazy, you dont take a Sh!t, you leave one! Unless your a one of those NY City turd smuggler or something strange like that, (Thats frowned upon in these parts of NY)!

We refer to that as a Buckload around here when we dont want to curse (Thats not often, I like cursing), not to be confused with Buckshot, two completely different critters, I suppose you could have a Buckload of Buckshot. "Ive got a Buckload of bullets" is proper usage, I think that comes from the word Buckboard or "crappy ass wagon without sides"! Back then when they came up with the phrase, they didnt have bungees like we do now so a Buckload wasnt as much then as it is today.

Thats not to be confused with a Sh!tload either, thats a whole different system of measure. Saying you have a Sh!tload of Bullets isnt very descriptive, its more of a semi liquid measure, "I have a Sh!tload of beer, let"s have at it" is more apropos.

Proper Rural Engliss Etiquette is impotent, otherwise you might be confused with one of those citified critters weve grown to dislike!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 11-17-2013 at 11:47 AM.
People Like This