Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Dollar Collapses Tomorrow - Now What?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I've got a few Euros. Some Gold and Silver never hurt.
Gold and silver are always good. I just wish I had stocked up on both many years ago. The bad part is I was always taught to keep gold on hand but I kept putting it off.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #12

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I was just curious as to what some plans are if the dollar suddenly collapses? Do you pull out what cash you have and use it for TP? Do you use it for fire because dollars are cheaper than fire wood like in Germany during hyperinflation? What's the plan?
If the dollar collapese you will be working for free if you have a job by then ....

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 11-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #13

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Company stocks will be a bargain. I will borrow all these inflated dollars I can get and add to my current investments. If my Grand Fathers had done that during the Depression I would be a rich Big Game hunter.
Problem is they ran scared and voted for FDR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post

Now that's a plan! If civilization collapses then you're not out of anything because the money was worthless anyway, but odds are civilization isn't going to collapse because the dollar crashes. There have been many many currency crashes and life went on.

That's just a really good practical approach to dealing with a bad situation. Be patient and turn lemons into lemon aid. I'll have to keep that in mind.
I told people all throughout 2007, hinting very strongly to my parents (I'd only been out of the service for a year, and was completely starting over from scratch) "right now would be a PERFECT time for anyone with a little cash to buy a ton of cheap stock."

What'd my mom, step dad, grandparents, and dad all do? Sat back and bitched and moaned about how their (mostly stock based) retirement plans were losing money, and took absolutely NO aggressive action to recover with WITH the market.

This is very simple when you want to build money quick and easy. When the bottom falls out, buy what you can, as cheap as you can.

My mom asked me "well would YOU do with 10,000?" (In a very sarcastic way, knowing I was currently too broke to even wipe my ass) I sat down and told her exactly what stocks I would buy, and how much of them I would buy. I don't remember what they were, but about a year ago I looked at the list again and compared my choices to the current market value. The gains would've come out to something like 2 million IIRC. That's a hell of a return on investment.

If you know the system isn't broken, but only merely hurt, then it WILL recover, at least to an extent. No point in not taking advantage of it.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #14

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

More millionaires were made during Great Depression than at any other time. TLuker figured it out. Borrow and buy. If we had a cataclysmic disaster you owe nothing. That has never happened and stocks regain their values. I have always made gains from economic slumps. It just takes nerve to hold the throttle open when your brakes are gone.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #15

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
It just takes nerve to hold the throttle open when your brakes are gone.
That's just a hell of a damn statement. I believe I'll remember that one for later use, thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7821 Times on 4513 Posts
Likes Given: 10063

Quote:
More millionaires were made during Great Depression than at any other time. TLuker figured it out. Borrow and buy. If we had a cataclysmic disaster you owe nothing. That has never happened and stocks regain their values. I have always made gains from economic slumps. It just takes nerve to hold the throttle open when your brakes are gone.
I agree with Trip. Epic.

Back just before the Y2K "scare" my wife asked me if she should get some "extra" cash out of the bank "just in case".

I told her we wouldn't need it because we have plenty of ammo. Funny thing is that more recently I inherited a metric butt-load of ammo from a guy who went all "Doomsday Prepper" back before Y2K!!!. How ironic that he would die just a few months before the ammo shortage. I sold off a lot of the surplus ammo and made his widow a bit of extra cash from stuff she was just going to give away.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 160 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 91

metric butt-load of ammo

http://cdn.omg-facts.com/2013/1/11/e380ddb5fd2e6ec274b5ce6b3dcad9e6.jpg

Old 11-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #18

Liked 858 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

I would ideally be prepared AHEAD of time with gold, silver, and useful "stuff". If all the jobs went away, I'd probably become a farmer. Admittedly, the prepared ahead of time thing has a few tough spots.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag556 View Post
Well that certainly wasn't a standard load so it must have been metric!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillersfan View Post
If the dollar collapese you will be working for free if you have a job by then ....
That's what I'm trying to avoid. I'm guessing a lot of Germans during the depression were thankful to be able to break even after paying for their cost of living. I don't want to end up in that situation.