A dog for SHTF - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > A dog for SHTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Our dog is old 11 yr old over weight lab , He has a hard time getting around, he has arthritis really bad and if the SHTF and we had to leave I would put him down before we leave . I grew up on a farm and we had to put animals down all the time when I was a kid from being hit by cars on the hard road to getting into rat poison . I would not be taking him with me . I wont be looking for another animal in all honesty it just another mouth to have to feed .
I know I sound like a hard ass putting my own animal down but sometimes its just the right thing to do it a particular situation, and with his particular situation it would be best .

Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #32

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've got a 90lb boxer. He's an awesome watchdog, as he barks loud and deep and looks scary through the window. Gentle as a bunny with my 10 month old son, too. Not a good attack dog, though no dog is a good attack dog unless trained as such.
His problem in a SHTF situation is that he needs a coat during our Maine winters, otherwise he'll freeze to death.

That being said, i can't see myself with any other type of dog besides a boxer.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 226 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Probroly go with a german shepard. They are loyal smart and good watch dogs.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #34

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

coon hound protection and can obtain food squirlles coon possums

Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #35

Likes Given: 4

Ive had lots of dogs. Missin my last friend but wont get another one for a while. Been looking at plott hounds. They seem to be a good shtf dog. Somebody mentioned em on another forum I think. 70 pound brindle hounds used to hunt bear and hog. Seem like the ticket.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #36

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

I have a st Bernard that would be good to strap light supplies on her. And my corgi-chihuahua would be able to hunt rabbits but he prolly wouldn't share. And I'm pretty sure my dogs would give there life to protect me.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #37
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1732 Times on 960 Posts
Likes Given: 5280

We got some special dogs here in the country. If they think your goin after their sister, you deader than a possum that tain't playin'

redneck_dogs_570.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #38
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2406 Times on 1195 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

I have a Labrador and a Miniature Pincher. Between the two of them nothing goes unnoticed! The Min Pin has a nose that is unbelievable. She also thinks she is a monster. She ran the neighbors 150 Rottweiler down the road her first day here. Luckily Oliver (The Rottie) decided to run instead of getting bitten in the sensitive areas. "LOL!" That is all I can figure out? And both senses people and animals before they get close to the house when they are even inside! And although the Lab is normally very friendly she stands the hair up on her back anytime there is something strange going on or someone comes to the door. So big dogs little dogs! All have an advantage over us when it comes to smell and sensing things.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #39
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1732 Times on 960 Posts
Likes Given: 5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery View Post
coon hound protection and can obtain food squirlles coon possums
Yeah man I tell ya what...Did one of them snipe hunts last night man with them sticks and bags and Whack! Whack! man, go Woooo-loo-loo-loo! ... Talk about big mistake y'all... It's right there in that cooler. Boomhauer.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #40
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2406 Times on 1195 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

KG,

Them there Snipes! Are good simmered on the grill with a little southern BBQ Sauce on them!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

KG7IL Likes This