Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > A dog for SHTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Weiner dog. Go ahead and laugh. They are extremely loyal, very smart, have one of the best noses on the planet and will guard the people that care for them with their life. My wired haired dachshund will let me know if anything is in the wind let alone within ear shot. She's the best guard dog I've ever had.
She can also track game and scare up game and loves every minute of it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #22
jyo

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I must say, I've had a series of rescue dogs---Pittbulls, pit/lab mixes etc.---all have since died of old age except the latest pair---smart, brave, loyal family friends---I can recommend them!

Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #23

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock
Pitbulls will be the only dog I ever own, shtf or not. Loving, loyal, and protective. they can find hogs pretty good too and if they can tear a 200 lb hogs face up, well look out Mr BG.
I agree on the pit as well. They are extremely protective of there owners. A lot of people don't know but they were originally bread to work on farms. They just happen to be very good at killing also.

And when I say protective I mean it. A pit can take down a pig with No problem the hard part can be separating them. A friend of mine uses pits to hunt hogs. Last time I went with him well let's just say it was not a good day. My friend walked over to the trap to look before we let the dog out. Needles to say the pig got out and started charging my friend. With all the guns in the truck I did the next best thing (let the dog out). When that dog hit that pig it sounded like a train wreck. It's sad to say the hogs tusk hooked the dog in the gut. Still it was in a way amazing to watch that dog kill and partly eat that hogs face with his guts dragging the ground. RIP Tank.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #24

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
A couple years ago I thought about SHTF when we (my family) were looking for a pet. I chose a female American Akita for their general attributes. Medium-large, extremely loyal to their family, doesn't smell (as in stink), sharp eyesight and hearing, doesn't bark unless it's "serious" ...and doesn't play well with others.

Best friend my family has ever had.

I almost went with a Ridgeback.
How cute! I don't think it would pull its own weight in a challenging situation but the fuzzy thing looks happy, intent if not awkward, and although it doesn't exude intelligence it seems to know its place in the family and was trainable. I like the dog too...

Seriously, pretty puppies you guys have. Love to see more!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 11-15-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #25

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Just use the dog as a alarm. Then you can bite them with 5.56 rounds lol.
I agree, but I have a dual Pitt backup system.

Pitt # 1 - 78lb male
Pitt # 2 - 65lb female

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #26

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

While my dog is a great protector, she is a hindrance when trying to hide. Her idea of dealing with a threat is to go bite the annoyance. She will even try to attack coyotes when she is out numbered. In a SHTF situation I would have to tie her with a rope that she could chew through and pray I could return to rescue her.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #27

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm partial to mutts for the reason that they will many times take on characteristics of all the breeds. And must pure bred dogs just don't seem to do much for me. I am partial to pits though I have a German Sheppard Norwegian Elkhound. mix that weighs in a little light at 80 lb. Shes the fastest running dog I've ever seen. She runs rabbits like nothing I've seen. She doesn't want to kill them though. Raccoons, snakes and opossums are another story. She will see them and kill them really quick. Then takes them to a field across from the house and drops them off. She does like to eat some of the snakes

She's loose outside all night and no one will get within 100 yards of the place unless she knows you well. And then we got to be home. We had a dope head problem a year or so ago and one was bright enough to drop by for his night shift job of looking at what stuff of mine he could take. He left in a hurry missing some of his rear end. By the time I got outside all that was left of him was a back pocket that was stained red.

To answer the ops question there is no perfect dog for a SHTF situation. Big stocky dogs can tire out faster and smaller or thinner dogs while very fast might not have the weight to do the job you want. It's kind of like a pistol. It';s a comprise between range and clandestine portability. You just have to find what fits your needs best. Just look for something that has smart parents so the animal has a shot at being trained well. I have a friend with a well bred German Sheppard. The thing is beautiful but as dumb as a sack of hammers. The breed is great but apparently this one was dropped at birth or maybe too inbred. So the intelligence of the parents can mean a lot. Most important if you want this animal to work for you at it's best you got to spend a LOT OF TIME with them. The best dog in the world will fall short of expectations if it's never taught to do anything. And most dogs will feel abandoned even if they are around all the time if they don't get that one on one attention. This also does a lot to build loyalty. And from that loyalty you will see the desire to make the leader(s) of the pack (you and your family) happy with them.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #28

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
I'm partial to mutts for the reason that they will many times take on characteristics of all the breeds. And must pure bred dogs just don't seem to do much for me. I am partial to pits though I have a German Sheppard Norwegian Elkhound. mix that weighs in a little light at 80 lb. Shes the fastest running dog I've ever seen. She runs rabbits like nothing I've seen. She doesn't want to kill them though. Raccoons, snakes and opossums are another story. She will see them and kill them really quick. Then takes them to a field across from the house and drops them off. She does like to eat some of the snakes

She's loose outside all night and no one will get within 100 yards of the place unless she knows you well. And then we got to be home. We had a dope head problem a year or so ago and one was bright enough to drop by for his night shift job of looking at what stuff of mine he could take. He left in a hurry missing some of his rear end. By the time I got outside all that was left of him was a back pocket that was stained red.

To answer the ops question there is no perfect dog for a SHTF situation. Big stocky dogs can tire out faster and smaller or thinner dogs while very fast might not have the weight to do the job you want. It's kind of like a pistol. It';s a comprise between range and clandestine portability. You just have to find what fits your needs best. Just look for something that has smart parents so the animal has a shot at being trained well. I have a friend with a well bred German Sheppard. The thing is beautiful but as dumb as a sack of hammers. The breed is great but apparently this one was dropped at birth or maybe too inbred. So the intelligence of the parents can mean a lot. Most important if you want this animal to work for you at it's best you got to spend a LOT OF TIME with them. The best dog in the world will fall short of expectations if it's never taught to do anything. And most dogs will feel abandoned even if they are around all the time if they don't get that one on one attention. This also does a lot to build loyalty. And from that loyalty you will see the desire to make the leader(s) of the pack (you and your family) happy with them.
You have a very good mix in the elk hound/german shepard. I had one in the early 90s, great dog and very athletic.

I will stick with my german shepard. He is not a large male at 75lbs and doesn't eat as much as you would think. He is always on the look out. If someone approaches the house he gives a short wuff. If they knock, it is a burst of barking until I tell him to lay on the bed, which is by the front window with the where he looks out. He can track a scent I give to him to catch a frisbee. The main thing I like about the breed is they want to please their people and would much rather be a part of the family than outside.

forumrunner_20121115_080125.jpg

OTTO

NEVER FORGET

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6675 Times on 4038 Posts
Likes Given: 7939

The best dog I've ever owned? The Pug I have right now. Good SHTF dog, definitely not. She rarely barks, can't hunt. Pugs were bred to be companion dogs and only companion dogs. And she is definitely a companion dog to the nth degree.

As for my other two dogs, the Papillon barks at anything she sees or hears outside. She is a good little dog.

The Border Collie is the one who is 'smart'. He's protective of his 'flock' and alerts when appropriate. No excessive barking. He's obedient and a tough guy.

As for my SHTF dog, it will be whatever dog I have at the time should the S ever HTF. I'll make do with what I have.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #30

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have always said that if I lived in a place like Chicago where I can't carry, I would fake a disability and have a German shepherd service dog trained to go for the jugular.... Until they introduce the assault canine ban.