Dog Food ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Dog Food ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Amen to that!

No, I am not thinking the question isn't serious. Preparedness is one of the most important things we should be doing right now, I totally agree. Not a day goes by lately that I do not take at least one step forward in my preparations for...whatever, really.

I just think humor can be found anywhere. Sorry about detouring your thread about light-weight long-term food appropriate for our pets.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #12

Alrighty then CHL, I'm going to bed! I will sleep tight now, knowing that all in FTF is good!
Thanks!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 07-05-2010, 05:24 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

How about vacuum sealing some Iams? I'd think it would keep quite a while that way.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 500

We use big bags of dry dog food which last a while, but what about canned dog food? what kind of shelf life does that have? Will it last as long as regular canned food? If so, is the weight of the dry dog food vs. the canned dog food about the same with quantity of protien and nutrion? Just a thought.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 07-06-2010, 03:11 AM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I would imagine that with dry food as long as you can keep it dry it should have a pretty long shelf life. o bagging or using those 5 gal. containers with a snap tight lid would get the job done. I use those buckets now for my horse sized dog as is. I hadn't actually though about a BOB situation but it's stored in a basement. I've never had water in the place but one never knows. I figured that was one I dotted. Vacum packed food for a smaller dog could be carried easier. I might have to look into a flat bed trailer for my monster hound though. And she's pulling it!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-06-2010, 03:45 AM   #16

Dry dog food is as lightweight as it comes and has a long shelflife. For hiking go with one of the real high protien ones such as IAM which if very expensive but a dog does not need to eat as much of it. Their dry food packs more per weight than an MRE but it has more volumn. Other than that give a little of your beef Jerky

Old 07-06-2010, 04:45 AM   #17

Yeah, thanks for all the info, I guess I’ll just pack some dry food in the Dogs pack. and maybe a little more in my own.
On another tangent, why do dogs only live for such a short time, Chopper, the dog I have now is only 4 years old, but will be lucky to live another 10 years I have had a dog since I was born, and am on my5th dog now, and I will probably outlive him too!
Why do dogs have to die?

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand