Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Dog Food ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dog Food ?

Hi, yeah I’ve searched thru previous posts but couldn’t find any questions regarding a B.O.B. for a dog.
So does anyone know of an MRE type dog food? I Googled it and could only find some vacuum sealed pouches, not designed for weight savings and only had a couple of year shelf life.
I found a little pack for him so he could pull his own weight. Already did a couple of backpacking/fishing trips with him and he loves it!
He’s been such a loyal and ask for nothing in return friend, that I couldn’t imagine leaving him behind if the S did ever HTF. He would also be an ever vigilant sentry as he alerts me to any noise, or commotion.
Any input is appreciated!
Gordo

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2010, 03:03 AM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but I treat dog food purchasing like many other things. I never let my supply get below one full bag...and I mean one of those huge bags that last over a month. Whenever my second, open bag gets near the bottom I buy another full bag and then open the bag I bought last month that way. And then my "store" of dog food is always being rotated, like our stores of so many other things.

I'll always have enough that way. At this point I don't have more than a month of food for my family, anyway.

Is this what you were asking about?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #3

Yeah thanks, but I was looking for something with a long shelf life, lightweight, that I could store for a quick "head for the hills" scenario that would keep the dog alive for a few weeks in an emergency.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 07-03-2010, 03:27 AM   #4

Which is why you discuss the whole bug-out-bag issue. Well, if there was truly an emergency after which you did not have enough time to pack up extra provisions, then why not feed them people food out of your family's food? That's at least an option.

To this point, I have not seen the need for me to set up a BOB. I have been putting together the materials so I could pack up our family within a few hours, though. I'd probably just pour the dog food into 5-gallon buckets with sealable tops that I've been collecting.

But my system is definitely not ready for immediate bug-out.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:47 AM   #5

Yes, I would gladly share my food with the doggy, and I'm sure he'd like it better than dog food, but they tend to develop worms, etc. after eating people food for awhile.
Nobody has the perfect BOB, but sounds like you and I are one step ahead of those who haven't thought about it, God forbid it ever comes to this
But I for one see it getting closer at an alarming rate!
Have a Happy Independance Day!

-Ayn Rand

Old 07-03-2010, 03:57 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

We have a fairly good stock of food for ourselves and we keep the cats food backed up as well. We also rotate it regularly.

We haven't had a dog since our last dog passed away. But we do have cats and they are considered part of the family.

As far as a pet BOB, we don't have one. But I guess after reading this thread that I had better put one together.

We're prepared fairly well for a nasty situation, but the pet BOB is a great idea. Thanks for bringing it up.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-03-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1777 Times on 1013 Posts
Likes Given: 3558

We usually have 2 bags and 1 sealed (closed) emptied into containers for the 5 dogs! No canned food at our house, its seems the dogs do not like it.

Do wish they make an MRE specific for animals, i.e. Cats, Dogs.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #8

Yeah, cats are cool too, however they already have the BOB ingrained in their DNA, they will survive no matter what!
My Chopper dog on the other hand, depends on me to feed him, and I depend on his unconditional love, therefore we are a team, he does not have the BOB in his DNA ,and neither do I, so we both depend on each others strengths and weaknesses .
Any how I don’t how I got off on this tangent, but yeah still looking for lightweight, dog food for a BOB for mans best friend!

-Ayn Rand

Old 07-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #9

Default mresforpets.com

Here's a business opportunity. I bet it'd sell great at Costco and CheaperthanDirt.com.

"Think the end of the world is near? Maybe you live near a high-value military target. Perhaps you live in New York and fear another terrorist attack. Maybe you are a right wing fear-mongering extremist. We have the product for you!"

I'm not making fun of the concept, just the possible marketing hits my funny bone.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #10

No, it was a serious question!
So I leave you with this, and suggest you read it! Over and Over again!
WHEN in the Course of human Events,
it becomes necessary for one People to dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the Earth, the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the Separation.
WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness -- That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient Causes; and accordingly all Experience hath shewn, that Mankind are more disposed to suffer, while Evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the Forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future Security. Such has been the patient Sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the Necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The History of the present King of Great- Britain is a History of repeated Injuries and Usurpations, all having in direct Object the Establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States.

-Ayn Rand