Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Does it really work? The BOB edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I dont/wont do it anymore. It was ok, and I liked the freedom of choosing when I worked and for whom. And it was a good way to make a bunch of money so I could save and invest in what I really wanted. But it was also a real pain.

Anyway.

Ass wagon.

Block

Crown

Crown out.

When the driller pulls the block too high and runs it into the crown. In that video he hit hard enough that the drill line broke and dropped the block. The call I went on didn't hit that hard.

And yes, I just realized that I have effectively hijacked this thread. Sorry, Ill stop now.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

My BOB is a big bigger than most but with a family of 4 I can justify it . My pack is 5500 Cu inches . I have 200 ft of paracord , MSR water filter , first aid kit , firestarter, couple bic lighters , waterproof maxpedition playing cards you never know when its going to get boring out there . 16ft nylon tarp, blah blah blah with all the rest of the garb. heres one that truely works and works well . I made this with little effort and it can be made in a total of about 20 minutes without drying time of course , but we have a new one that uses no sealers and it works great , my youngest son age 8 actually came up withh the idea and I will take pics of it later . but camp stoves is what im talking about , these will burn lots of over the counter stuff , from 91% rubbing alcohol to Heet that you use in your fuel tank , High proof liquors, denatured alcohols. It will boil 2 cups of water in roughly 4 minutes and not much seen flame and depending on the fuel no soot especially with Heet in the yellow bottle this is basically the size of a pop can and less than half the height , we also have one thats made out of a small cat food can with holes in the sides , this one is the simplest made and takes about 5 min or less . i will get them all out and post up some pics but they all work fantastic . heres a couple in action
there are lots of them on the Inet just google alcohol stove and pick the easiest first and work your way up like the super cat alcohol stove . Dont get into all the fancy bent tubing stoves they dont work any better and someone just have way to much time on thier hands . the one on the left is buring way to rich because of the wicking material used . I dont suggest using lantern wick it causes it to use up more fuel than necessary on that type of stove . Stainless or copper scrub pad works great and does not rust . both of the larger stoves have legs and pot holders that fold in and you will find those on the Inet , these were rough pics we took after finishing them

Last edited by purehavoc; 09-10-2012 at 09:33 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #83

Liked 2193 Times on 1259 Posts
Likes Given: 1784

Estwing hand-ax. Tested, dependable. IMHO, well worth the trouble.

Those 8$ folding shovels?

The thing they DON'T tell you is the

middle of the blade folds, the first time

it hits solid dirt. Cabelas has a real one for

(you guessed it) 50$.

You must test it all, I sometimes go overboard, to

determine burn-out rate, or breakage under unreasonable

stress, to have an idea how far I can drive dependable,

pre-tested
gear.

Firestarters- mag-block, candles, birch bark, bic butanes, and,

believe it or not, standard book matches.

They are nominally

water resistant, start well, and a whole pack doubled up is a

pretty good fire starter tinder in windy or wet conditions.

Get a box of them, and spread them around to pack, pockets,

mess kit, etc, there will always be a dry pack somewhere....

Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #84
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 456 Times on 283 Posts

I have this in my bob it an Ontario ranger 7 bush knife. Carbon steel almost 1/4 inch thick and has an edge on it you can shave with.

Name:  image-3206236520.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  29.8 KB

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

TWMIM Likes This 
Old 09-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 595 Times on 301 Posts

May sound cheesy to some, but a good swiss army knife can be extremely useful. There are bigger blades which are better for many things, but there are also many things a swiss army knife is very good for. I have had many, the blades are very sharp and stay that way if you don't abuse them. I don't recommend the ridiculously large model, just a basic one. Two blades, screw driver, whole punch, can opener, tweezers and toothpick. Not much use for a corkscrew unless you include a decent vintage 2005/6 Napa Valley Cab.

Another basic is tinfoil, get the 18 inch roll of extra heavy duty. Cut into 18x18 squares. Fold up very small and stash in any nook or cranny left. Practically weightless but great for cooking and many other things.

Stuff you don't want wet, package into non lubricated condoms. You can fit a pair of socks into a condom. Another thing is a roll of cheap twine, great for building a small shelter. I got caught in a nasty storm once. Set up my tent between a couple trees and lashed a nice roof together. Covered in pine needles and stayed very dry and warm all night. If you have a big enough tarp you could even build a teepee, did that in the snow once. Packed snow on the outside for insulation, had to open my sleeping bag in the middle of the night because I was too hot. Sticks, a tarp, swiss army knife and some twine.

I'm sure most here are excellent outdoorsman, but for the rest of you... Before you put together some Rediculous BOB, go on a 3-5 day backpacking trip.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #86

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
May sound cheesy to some, but a good swiss army knife can be extremely useful. There are bigger blades which are better for many things, but there are also many things a swiss army knife is very good for. I have had many, the blades are very sharp and stay that way if you don't abuse them. I don't recommend the ridiculously large model, just a basic one. Two blades, screw driver, whole punch, can opener, tweezers and toothpick. Not much use for a corkscrew unless you include a decent vintage 2005/6 Napa Valley Cab.

Another basic is tinfoil, get the 18 inch roll of extra heavy duty. Cut into 18x18 squares. Fold up very small and stash in any nook or cranny left. Practically weightless but great for cooking and many other things.

Stuff you don't want wet, package into non lubricated condoms. You can fit a pair of socks into a condom. Another thing is a roll of cheap twine, great for building a small shelter. I got caught in a nasty storm once. Set up my tent between a couple trees and lashed a nice roof together. Covered in pine needles and stayed very dry and warm all night. If you have a big enough tarp you could even build a teepee, did that in the snow once. Packed snow on the outside for insulation, had to open my sleeping bag in the middle of the night because I was too hot. Sticks, a tarp, swiss army knife and some twine.

I'm sure most here are excellent outdoorsman, but for the rest of you... Before you put together some Rediculous BOB, go on a 3-5 day backpacking trip.
I like the foil idea. Let me explore this further...

Old 09-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #87

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
I have this in my bob it an Ontario ranger 7 bush knife. Carbon steel almost 1/4 inch thick and has an edge on it you can shave with.

Attachment 58064
I have the OKC Ranger-9 in mine, LOL. Had to file and sand the sharp edges of the small but nice micarta scales (grip) to be comfortable to use though. And had to find a cheap small sharpening stone to stick in the sheath pocket -- it is decent real knife steel that takes and holds an edge well enough for its price (it is one of the best values out there and not a cheap soft-metal import that will let you down at any price), but a dull knife is worthless if not dangerous and after cutting and hacking a while with these knives, which they can take, you will still need to swipe the blade a few times.

The BlastMatch throws so many long lasting sparks I actually thought I was setting my house on fire the first time I casually pushed on it -- OMG!

E R Bars I chose from the top three brands to go in my kit after studying them. Hi-energy indestructible ship's emergency rations, they'll keep you all going for many days but are not a long-term crisis food solution. Not what I personally went with for various reasons but the 3,600 calorie packets are a little better financial deal -- note they all have resealable built in ziplocks. Shipping is a killer! Being low-thirst (no salt to speak of) rations, I have two paper restaurant take-out salt-packets duct-taped to each package just in case I'm working up a sweat and have water. Speaking of which...

Seychelle water straws ADVANCED.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 09-12-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is a great thread and definately worthy of sticky status. I can't believe I hadn't seen it until now. Carry on good folks.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

People Like This 
Old 09-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

On another note, I must admit that I do not have a bug out bag. I have a a 3 day pack my wife gave me a couple years ago that is empty and would make a great candidate. It's not camo or anything, a combination of gray/black but it could be made tactical. It also fits me well, offers good support and is rather roomy.
I might surprise you guys with my weapon of choice for it though.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:10 AM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I haven't light sources come up yet. Anyone have a good one?

I can personally attest to the Coleman Max line of flashlights is terrible. Out of the box they're great, 110-200 lumens depending on the light you get, $25-$35, aluminum body, O ring seals....seems like a decent light on the cheaper end of the scale. I've owned 4 of them. I will outline them each.

1. I put this one in my hunting bag. It had a 115 lumen white light as well as a red light and a blue "blood" light...the blue light is worthless. It made it thru 1 hunting season or approximately 3 months of mild use before the light selector went bad followed closely by the switch.

2. I got this one for my wife. 110 lumen, compact light....about the size of 3 C batteries lined up end to end. Worked for about 1 year before the switch failed. It also saw mild use such as walking the dog or checking the field behind the house.

3. I bought one of the larger lights for in the house. I believe it to be around 150 lumens but I don't remember and I don't see it on their website. This one is a plastic body but still sealed with O rings and it is working well. We've had it for about 3 years and it sees mild use, no abuse.

4. This is just like #2 and it is still working well but it has become my hunting light so we'll see if it makes it thru the season.

If I had it to do over again I would have bought a more expensive light and I could count on for years down the road.