Does it really work? The BOB edition - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Does it really work? The BOB edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1182 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 2315

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM View Post
We're in agreement.

I'm an ex 11b leg. I don't like lugging equipment that I don't have to. This thread streamlines your bag. I just saved an ounce in useless matches.

Now that may sound sarcastic to some. But hardcore hikers will take a toothbrush, and drill holes in the handle to save a gram of weight.

The point of the thread is to find the most useful items, at a good price, to dispose of the useless gear, and to demonstrate proficiency in the gear that you do have..

Nobody is mandated to carry anything, but the "all you need is a knife" guys are operating on a dangerous theory. Try starting a fire with nothing but a knife in December, and the candle looks mighty appealing.

I liked your comment about drilling holes in a tooth brush. Weight really is that important and that's why I made the comments I did. I really think weight is something many under estimate, and that's why I'm not far from being an "all you need is a knife guy". There are a lot of things that could make life much easier on the go, but you've got to be able to carry those things. That means extra calories for the energy to carry those things and more water. Not to mention you'll be dead tired after a couple of days. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #62

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

The more you know, the less you need. I got a whole backpack. :-P

NEVER FORGET

People Like This 
Old 09-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #63

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I liked your comment about drilling holes in a tooth brush. Weight really is that important and that's why I made the comments I did. I really think weight is something many under estimate, and that's why I'm not far from being an "all you need is a knife guy". There are a lot of things that could make life much easier on the go, but you've got to be able to carry those things. That means extra calories for the energy to carry those things and more water. Not to mention you'll be dead tired after a couple of days. Just something to keep in mind.
I agree again. I've said it in other threads, that 1000 rounds you think you're going to tote around can take a toll.

I've studied the hiking guys, and there is a price to weight ratio. The lighter something is, the more expensive it is.

Military guys will tell you, we used to tote stuff we'd never use in the field, because we were forced to. Can anyone say "Mickey Mouse boots"?

For the BOB, I weigh in the benefit of the tool vs. the weight. Some of the stuff is worth the weight. Some stuff has multiple uses. If a tool takes on 3 purposes, that's a factor as well.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:27 AM   #64

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM View Post
I agree again. I've said it in other threads, that 1000 rounds you think you're going to tote around can take a toll.

I've studied the hiking guys, and there is a price to weight ratio. The lighter something is, the more expensive it is.

Military guys will tell you, we used to tote stuff we'd never use in the field, because we were forced to. Can anyone say "Mickey Mouse boots"?

For the BOB, I weigh in the benefit of the tool vs. the weight. Some of the stuff is worth the weight. Some stuff has multiple uses. If a tool takes on 3 purposes, that's a factor as well.
I have always kept my camping/hiking/BOB bag packed with only the essentials. And I have always liked the idea of 1 tool performing multiple functions, like my axe - I can cut wood, kill an animal, skin with it, use it as a lever/pry-bar or just about anything i can think of. It's not light, but it can perform about a dozen tasks or more

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 09-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #65

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Cold Steel's offering could not, under the best CS guided tests, compare with the Kukri that Benning/TWMIM and I designed and had produced.

This thing is a MONSTER!

JD
I was only speaking to the bang for the buck perspective. The CS is definitely solid for the dollar. Definitely not the be all, end all factor. What was the cost on these beasts?

Old 09-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #66

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

short handle version
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=998012480

long handle version
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_knife
haven't seen a price on this one tho..........prolly less than $20.

i have both. they are exceptionally light and easy to use. i will try to get a few pics or a video up of some trees that i will chop with one of them...........until you use it, DO NOT count it out!!!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-10-2012 at 03:27 AM.
TWMIM Likes This 
Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #67

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

also, take a snap-cap aspirin container and put several doses of over-the-counter meds in it. i have a 100 capsule container that has anti-diarrheal meds, headache/fever reducer meds, anti-inflammatory meds, anti-histamine meds, and a few others........about 5 doses of each in all.

i just took some of what i had @ home and counted several doses out and put them in the empty apsirin container, labelled it with a sharpie (colors tell what the meds are) on the side, and taped over it all to make the label waterproof.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

TWMIM Likes This 
Old 09-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #68

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

I started thinking about it, and my regular "oh ****" rig is a military sleep system (the 3-bag job) a Brunton solar charger (which can also be charged from a wall socket or car) a smartphone, a good multi-tool (CRKT Zilla tool) two flashlights (Surefire G2 and E1B) a Surefire battery case / extra lamp carrier, full of spare batteries and an extra lamp for the G2) and a Glock trench tool.

Toss in my CCW rig (Kimber pro carry II, extra mag, Galco N3 holster) and I'm ready for 90% of what I'm ever going to encounter...

I really underestimated my smartphone: GPS capability, multi-format comms, weather / satellite info... Etc.

Toss in a brunton Restore and I can run a full charge 3 times... And re-charge that from a solar panel (built in) or my car...

Old 09-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #69

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Dillinger. Just out of curiosity. What was soaking it in ice water supposed to prove?

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #70

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy
One of the most useful items considering space and weight and really works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM

I need a manufacturer on this. I bought one, and it snapped FAST.

Who made yours, and what have you done with it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy

Made by Highlander. Not the cheapest but one of the best. Can get them on Ebay. Never managed to break one.
Field expedient...
Have a dead critter on hand? Are you eating wild game in the woods?

Cutting the hide into thin strips, coat these thin strips of hide in fresh blood. Making sure you have a good coating, rub sand into the blood coated hide strips. Allow to dry to tacky.

There ya go.