Does it really work? The BOB edition - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Does it really work? The BOB edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I've always kept my bag really simple. The plus side is I know the few items there work. You don't ever have to worry about rope or a knife not working. And by knife I mean a simple quality fixed blade knife. I've also seen very few items in this thread that I would carry. Not to say that they couldn't be useful but I just wouldn't add the extra weight. For example I wouldn't carry a candle or signaling device. The woods are full of wood that will burn and that fire would make an excellent signal if desired. And for starting fire a couple of bick lighters and a magnesium block.

This thread was a great idea for testing items and reporting results. I'm also in no way trying to suggest what anyone else should or shouldn't carry. But I know how simple I keep my BOB and I know what it weights. So I would suggest everyone try carrying their bag for a couple of days of hiking. After a day of hiking a gun alone starts getting heavy and then add a bag full of gear on top of that it's going to get old quick. So while your trying out your gear, which is a great idea, try carrying all of it as well. You might start rethinking some items? Then again you might realize there is something else you need to add?

Another thing to consider is keeping one bag in case you're on foot and other bags if your able to drive? That way you could carry many extra items that would be nice if you're able to drive but you wouldn't try carrying on foot. Just my .02
We're in agreement.

I'm an ex 11b leg. I don't like lugging equipment that I don't have to. This thread streamlines your bag. I just saved an ounce in useless matches.

Now that may sound sarcastic to some. But hardcore hikers will take a toothbrush, and drill holes in the handle to save a gram of weight.

The point of the thread is to find the most useful items, at a good price, to dispose of the useless gear, and to demonstrate proficiency in the gear that you do have..

Nobody is mandated to carry anything, but the "all you need is a knife" guys are operating on a dangerous theory. Try starting a fire with nothing but a knife in December, and the candle looks mighty appealing.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #42

Machetes.

Versatile. Multipurpose. Worth the weight.

So a good one?

Forget that Wal Mart $6 dealie.

But on the other hand, expensive isn't always better.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #43

The Cold Steel Gladius

Specifications:
Blade Length: 19"
Overall Length: 26 7/8"
Steel: 1055 Carbon Steel w/ Black Baked on Anti Rust Matte Finish
Blade Thickness: 2.8 mm
Weight: 18 oz (approx.)
Handle: 7 7/8" Long. Polypropylene
Sheath: Cor-Ex Sheath

0909121658.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #44

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM View Post

Nobody is mandated to carry anything, but the "all you need is a knife" guys are operating on a dangerous theory. Try starting a fire with nothing but a knife in December, and the candle looks mighty appealing.
Not only that, but the theory that magnesium shavings, a Bic lighter and green wood is going to produce a roaring fire that the Gods will see on Olympus was proven empathetically misguided in the Caveman Thread.

Plus if you are ALREADY wet, cold, shivering and need a heat source as hypothermia is creeping in, a candle is going to work a hell of a lot better than just about anything in the timeline needed.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #45

I waited forever for this one.

It was backordered forever.

It was expensive.

It's a sword.

0909121700.jpg  

Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #46

Yeah it works great as a sword, and despite being sold as a machete, it's a cheap Roman Gladius. They even sell a trainer of identical size. Nobody makes a trainer machete.

And as a sword, not bad. The grind was absolute crap, and required massive cleaning.

For machete chores, it absolutely sucks. No curve, chopping is abysmal, in fact, it's the perfect demonstration of the differences between a sword and a machete.

Coming out of the bag...

0909121701.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Not only that, but the theory that magnesium shavings, a Bic lighter and green wood is going to produce a roaring fire that the Gods will see on Olympus was proven empathetically misguided in the Caveman Thread.

Plus if you are ALREADY wet, cold, shivering and need a heat source as hypothermia is creeping in, a candle is going to work a hell of a lot better than just about anything in the timeline needed.
Agreed.

Take your Bic. Dip it in water for 5 seconds. Light it.

Fire is not simon-simple. It takes practice. Hence this thread.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #48

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Agreed.

Take your Bic. Dip it in water for 5 seconds. Light it.

Fire is not simon-simple. It takes practice. Hence this thread.
Best bang for the buck by far IMHO are cotton swabs heavily coated in petroleum jelly in a large pill bottle (or similar container) and a QUALITY magnesium fire starter. I stress quality because similar to JD and TWMIM's FAIL with the matches mentioned earlier, there are some really crappy magnesium fire starters out there. The difference in price is so minimal it isn't even worth it to buy cheap ones. Especially for one of the main ingredients in survival - FIRE!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #49

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Yeah it works great as a sword, and despite being sold as a machete, it's a cheap Roman Gladius. They even sell a trainer of identical size. Nobody makes a trainer machete.

And as a sword, not bad. The grind was absolute crap, and required massive cleaning.

For machete chores, it absolutely sucks. No curve, chopping is abysmal, in fact, it's the perfect demonstration of the differences between a sword and a machete.

Coming out of the bag...
So what you are saying is it is a nice novelty. Fun, cool but not super practical???
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #50

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
So what you are saying is it is a nice novelty. Fun, cool but not super practical???
That is what I got out of it. Not worth the weight. But ask him about the Kukri he's hiding in the safe.