Does it really work? The BOB edition - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Does it really work? The BOB edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Ok, but do you know the most effective way to use the items in the bag. I think that was 50% of op's intent of the thread.
Not only do you know how to use it, but show your friends here what is good, what is great, and what doesn't perform.

The matches above are owned by both the OP and myself, neither of us knew the other had them, but now we both know they suck and neither of us are carrying them.
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #32

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Well, here's the link: http://echo-sigma.com/shop/ghb

As for the teaching/demos, I'll try to put something together when I get more time...

Old 09-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #33

Interesting. I have not heard of them yet. Looked around and found something they offered I didn't consider.

http://echo-sigma.com/shop/refills-and-replacements/battery-case

I like the idea, so I ordered a couple up. Thanks for the link.

And let this show that we have another viable thread that is educational and helpful from The Bard of FTF. *respect*

JD
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #34
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1579 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Keep some small packages of Frito's corn chips in your bag. They make great fire starters and in a pinch you can eat them.
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Keep some small packages of Frito's corn chips in your bag. They make great fire starters and in a pinch you can eat them.
Excellent tip. I found that those "natural, blue, tortilla chips, will catch on fire VERY quickly.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 09-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #36

Default Candle Follow Up

So, it's been about 1.5 hours since I started the test and here is a follow up on the candle.

It has been burning directly below the temperature indicator inside the grill, non-stop and there is PLENTY of candle left to burn.

As you can see it's measuring just about 100 degrees (previous absolute zero picture of the temp gauge for reference), which isn't the entire grill temp. It's the temp the candle can generate directly under the heating element, much like if you put a food source directly on the top of the can.

This element is about 4"-6" above the wick of the candle, so thin meat or veggies could easily be cooked to the point of eatable.

I like these candles. They come self contained, they are sealed, with included matches, and they burn hot enough to help you start a real fire and burn for an estimated 22 hours all by themselves.

4.5 out of 5 banks - loss of one half star for total weight of the unit in a BOB situation
img_0135.jpg   img_0134.jpg   img_0123.jpg  

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-09-2012 at 09:02 PM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 09-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #37

Liked 860 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM View Post
I have water filtration, I plan to get some pond water and wait for the diarhhea. If it doesn't happen, the product is good.

Ya'll try one.
That reminds me. In my First Aid kit I have anti-diarhheal meds for just such an emergency. Diarhhea is a legit concern and for the small amount of space these take up it is well worth it IMHO.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 09-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #38

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
That reminds me. In my First Aid kit I have anti-diarhheal meds for just such an emergency. Diarhhea is a legit concern and for the small amount of space these take up it is well worth it IMHO.
Exactly. We heard a million times about how much ammo folks are bugging out with. If it's to be believed, they will have room for nothing else.

Diarhhea can kill. If you're dehydrated, it dehydrates you further, and fast.

If you're on meds, you may want to consider a supply of those for the bag. You may well need them before your 10,000 of .22lr.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 09-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1949 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4368

I've always kept my bag really simple. The plus side is I know the few items there work. You don't ever have to worry about rope or a knife not working. And by knife I mean a simple quality fixed blade knife. I've also seen very few items in this thread that I would carry. Not to say that they couldn't be useful but I just wouldn't add the extra weight. For example I wouldn't carry a candle or signaling device. The woods are full of wood that will burn and that fire would make an excellent signal if desired. And for starting fire a couple of bick lighters and a magnesium block.

This thread was a great idea for testing items and reporting results. I'm also in no way trying to suggest what anyone else should or shouldn't carry. But I know how simple I keep my BOB and I know what it weights. So I would suggest everyone try carrying their bag for a couple of days of hiking. After a day of hiking a gun alone starts getting heavy and then add a bag full of gear on top of that it's going to get old quick. So while your trying out your gear, which is a great idea, try carrying all of it as well. You might start rethinking some items? Then again you might realize there is something else you need to add?

Another thing to consider is keeping one bag in case you're on foot and other bags if your able to drive? That way you could carry many extra items that would be nice if you're able to drive but you wouldn't try carrying on foot. Just my .02

Last edited by TLuker; 09-09-2012 at 09:14 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #40

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Speaking to hydration/water purification, I like the steripen http://www.steripen.com/
I haven't had to use it for anything too hardcore, just a few trial runs, but I coupled it with a nalgene bottle (magpul sticker added to make it a "dynamic tactical hydration system")

And it seemed to work well (again, it's not like I was getting standing rainwater out of a mud hole... I used river-water)

I liked this better than the old iodine tabs...
People Like This