Does it really work? The BOB edition - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Does it really work? The BOB edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Another fine offering for a thread. I vote this should be amended by as many members as possible and Stickied to the top for future reference.

I believe I have a couple of things to test here. Let's take a walk to the safe.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #12

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I have tested all my gear by going on short trips and have tossed several items and added others. I probably carry too many cutting items. Added weight but different tools for different tasks. The best thing that I have done is made a paracord lanyard that I can slip around my neck so that no matter what happens it is with me. It includes:

1. Paracord lanyard (approx. 15' of cordage)
1. A top quality magnesium fire starter.
2. Very small AAA flashlight
3. P38 can opener
4. Whistle
5. Small keychain type compass
6. Small neck knife in kydex sheath

Old 09-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #13

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

a great addition to any BOB are maps - good old fashioned maps. They aren't just pretty pictures ... they are loaded with valuable information.

I've got AZ, NM, CO, UT (from when I lived out west) and all of New England stashed away in the BOB bag. I also have the 3 continental trail maps printed out and stashed in the BOB as well.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #14

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
If you have a bob bag, wouldn't you have a couple of bic lighters and some sort of tender. That way you are not using a dedicated signal in case of searchers are close by. Although if you are cold and shivering I could see using your flare since small muscle movements are difficult in that situation. Good review !
I keep at least 3 ignition sources. But the more effective they are, the less reliable they seem to be.

This flare burns hot, and for an extended period, but is probably extremely susceptible to moisture. The old magnesium block takes effort, but is indestructible.

I plan on doing something like this with the whole bag. I have water filtration, I plan to get some pond water and wait for the diarhhea. If it doesn't happen, the product is good.

Ya'll try one.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #15

So one of the things I bought several varieties of were matches and "fire starting gear".

Here are some matches that I bought that were an absolute disappointment. They were billed as Windproof Matches that would be great for the outdoors and are actually NATO approved.

img_0119.jpg   img_0120.jpg  

Old 09-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #16

On the surface they look like they would be great matches, but between the little sanding disc they sent with the plastic bag, the outside of a normal box of matches and the concrete, they suffered an 80% plus failure rate at getting the damn things started.

They do well with the fire against the wind once lit, but if I were freezing, hands shaking, cold to the bone and I had to rely on these things, I think I would probably freeze to death. I would not recommend these matches to anyone.

img_0126.jpg   img_0129.jpg  

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-09-2012 at 11:32 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Another fine offering for a thread. I vote this should be amended by as many members as possible and Stickied to the top for future reference.

I believe I have a couple of things to test here. Let's take a walk to the safe.
I'll tell you a story.

I made the wife sit through "Dual Survival". To the unfamiliar, an ex-Army guy and a hippie team up and survive scenarios.

She was hooked.

Then she demanded a BOB.

Then she actually started making me do stuff with her. Okay.

I'm ex-Army, this will be cake.

Bull. I broke out a fresnal lens. Make fire with the sun. I broke out a cottonball soaked in Vaseline. Excellent tinder.

Then I discovered something. That whole magnifying glass trick works on DARK objects. White objects reflect it away. I could get a brown stick to smoulder in under a minute. A white paper towel would sit there all day, not even discolor.

Then I realized I'd better get hot on this subject. The wife is a freakin bushcraft god, and I'm wondering what would happen with all my high-speed gear if I actually needed it.

If you have a BOB, you owe it to yourself to make sure it works. You wouldn't carry a gun you've never fired.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #18

One of the essentials is a way to get someone's attention in piss poor weather should you determine you need to do so.

The human voice is not designed to compete with Mother Nature, as most of know.

These whistles from Ultimate Survival, called the Jet Scream, are AWESOME!

http://www.basegear.com/jetscream.html

What I like about these whistles is they are all plastic with no moving parts. They can't freeze up like the old stainless steel, cork ball, whistles and these things are so ear piercingly loud they actually hurt my ears to test them.

These are a great $6 investment that you can literally buy and check off the list.

img_0114.jpg   img_0115.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM View Post
I'll tell you a story. You wouldn't carry a gun you've never fired.
Don't you have a handgun that no one has seen and we don't have a range report or details on?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
On the surface they look like they would be great matches, but between the little sanding disc they sent with the plastic bag, the outside of a normal box of matches and the concrete, they suffered an 80% plus failure rate at getting the damn things started.

They do well with the fire against the wind once lit, but if I were freezing, hands shaking, cold to the bone and I had to rely on these things, I think I would probably freeze to do. I would not recommend these matches to anyone.
This is what I'm talking about. I actually have these, and I've never tried them.

Evicted from the BOB!

Well done, My Friend.