Does it really work? The BOB edition - Page 19
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Does it really work? The BOB edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #181
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

The new hand-maul by Estwing really works.

Eliminates the need for axe, hand-axe, and

large maul. Heavy, but worth it, if you have logs

to split.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #182

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 26

As an alternative to the cottonballs in vaseline, save all of your dryer lint and use that in place of the cottonballs. I have a couple coffee cans full....and its free!

I saw the solar lights for charging batteries, and it reminded me of the super cheap ones they sell at Walmart for $0.97...they are about the size of a standard aspirin bottle if you remove the stick (which is designed to be removed). You're left with this:

Does it really work? The BOB edition - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum

They take a licking! I shot this thing across the yard with my weed-wacker, shattering the plastic lens and breaking the plastic peg it sits on....and it still works! The lens thing doubles the height of the unit, and does help diffuse the light a bit. For a dollar, you cant really go wrong getting a couple to try.

This is whats inside:

I know nothing about electronics, but for a buck each, I'm going to see if three of the 'two-thirds AA' batteries with power a 2AA penlight....if they do, then I'm loading up on these and cheap penlights! If they don't, they still make great 'candles'...and will even work in a pinch to light a path!

Old 09-13-2014, 02:02 AM   #183

Liked 214 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 11

So while rummaging through my closet tonight I found a few of these do dad's that I have had for years and forge all about them.

They are about 6-7 inches long and about 1 inch in diameter with an o-ring seal making them water resistant. they have a spot for a mini lighter in the lid also.

I filled one with vasoline covered cotton balls and the other I put a regular sized lighter. I could also use it to store dry tinder as well.

They fit nicely in the top outer pockets in my 5.11 rush 24. Along with my flint steel.

Last edited by Flatblack79; 09-13-2014 at 02:18 AM.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:08 AM   #184

Liked 214 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The pic didn't turn out to well but they have www.marktheshark.com on the side. I'm sure you can find something similar at many other places.

Last edited by Flatblack79; 09-13-2014 at 03:40 AM.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #185

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Haven't been here a while and this is an older thread, but I wanted to ask. Does anyone set up the BOB with seasonal options? Like more fire/heat in the winter or more rain protection in the fall?

Old 02-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #186

Liked 3619 Times on 2067 Posts
Likes Given: 2520

I'll be bugging in, in the unlikely event it's necessary, but I do change my GHB in my truck seasonally. More socks, gloves, warmer hat and jacket, more carbs in Winter. More water and lighter pack overall in warmer months.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:54 AM   #187

Liked 561 Times on 334 Posts

Swapping things out of my ghb makes me forget things sometimes. Ive got a rush 72 stuffed to the brim with everything i need for all seasons. The only thing i do change/add is some heavier socks for winter. Other than that everything stays the same all year. I do enjoy adding new toys to it though haha.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:22 AM   #188
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1465 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

I added a stuff jacket, the thin waterproof/wind proof type that fit in a small sack, and leave it in year round. In spring/summer, it can act as a sun cover. Gloves should be in year round also, as leather gloves can protect your hands and glove liners can add cold protection, again, a very small lightweight add-on. Most seasonal items can be repurposed for other necessary uses and don't add much weight.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)