Does it really work? The BOB edition - Page 13
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Does it really work? The BOB edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #121
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1323 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I like your foldable stove I saw one of these many yrs ago and never saw them in my catalog anymore so I was led to believe they were gone . You can also take a aluminum can cut in half or tuna type can fill with rubbing alcohol, Heet in the yellow bottle , denatured alcohol or high proof liquor and put this in your folding stove for cleaner fuel sources . I think Im gonna order one of those today . Thanks for the link
Havoc, I always try to include links if I have any idea where they are, but I've been told by a lot of people that this particular item is discontinued. Glad it helped you out!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #122
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

How about adding a lightweight hammock to the BOB? I have a Byer hammock http://www.rei.com/product/783003/byer-easy-traveller-hammock , which weighs approx 19oz and includes the ropes needed to setup - better than sleeping on the ground and it takes up very little space-

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

People Like This 
Old 09-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #123

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroman View Post
How about adding a lightweight hammock to the BOB? I have a Byer hammock http://www.rei.com/product/783003/byer-easy-traveller-hammock , which weighs approx 19oz and includes the ropes needed to setup - better than sleeping on the ground and it takes up very little space-
Actually a very intelligent move. Instead of spending time clearing ground only to end up wet, set this up and throw a poncho over, and you're golden.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #124

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM

Actually a very intelligent move. Instead of spending time clearing ground only to end up wet, set this up and throw a poncho over, and you're golden.
I think c3 shooter mentioned a hammock early in this thread. He even has mosquito netting over his. Another light wieght practical idea.

NEVER FORGET

Last edited by downsouth; 09-22-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #125
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1323 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM

If you have two points to attach a hammock to it's MUCH better in so many ways. Not touching the ground means you can't be bled for heat as quickly as when you're touching the ground, as well as keeping bugs and mosquitos away. Many people get a better night's sleep in a hammock, too.

Well worth trying out if you've never given it a shot.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 09-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #126
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

What about the BOB itself?...If this has already been discussed in this thread, then my apologies....

What kinds of backpacks/bags are you guys/gals using? Any links to sites is appreciated too. I have a few cheap bags, but nothing stout enough to take in an emergency situation...

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #127

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroman View Post
What about the BOB itself?...If this has already been discussed in this thread, then my apologies....

What kinds of backpacks/bags are you guys/gals using? Any links to sites is appreciated too. I have a few cheap bags, but nothing stout enough to take in an emergency situation...
I didn't buy this backpack with the intent for use as a BOB but it is a very comfortable backpack and should be fine to use as a BOB. It is made by Osprey and is the Ather 70 model.

http://www.rei.com/product/795622/osprey-aether-70-pack

I use it for extended backpacking and like the fact that the weight of the loaded pack is on your hips and not on your shoulders so much. You can stand up straight with this pack on as opposed to a slight lean foreward when loaded with weight as with my older pack. I have loaded this pack just over 55 lbs. for extended backpacking treks. I do, however, keep my food stuffs in a bear canister that I strap to the outside of the pack due to where I go in the high Sierras. The bear canister and the food stuffs would not be weight that is inside of this pack.

Other features I like are the HDPE framesheet which protects your back from bulky or pointy items and its mesh design towards your back that vents as well as wick moisture away from your back. This pack has enough compression straps to keep your pack load compact and secure. It also has a comparment for a 3L. hydration bladder.

101.jpg

102.jpg

Last edited by mrm14; 09-23-2012 at 05:42 PM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 09-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #128

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

At around 3lbs these are awesome and they have a rainfly. A little pricey but you get what you pay for.

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock

hammock.jpg

Old 09-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #129

Liked 3858 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Rat traps!... Tie one to a tree or drive it with a screw. Great little squirrel getter. Super light weight. Why fumble with making traps out of your survival handbook, or remembering you saw it in tv, when you've got one made and gtg!!!

I 'paint' mine with mud and stick a few leaves on it for camouflage.

Cheap, and weigh next to nothing.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

People Like This 
Old 09-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #130

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
Rat traps!... Tie one to a tree or drive it with a screw. Great little squirrel getter. Super light weight. Why fumble with making traps out of your survival handbook, or remembering you saw it in tv, when you've got one made and gtg!!!

I 'paint' mine with mud and stick a few leaves on it for camouflage.

Cheap, and weigh next to nothing.
That's a winner. I imagine you could have a perimeter line attached to one at camp for a dew line.

NEVER FORGET

People Like This