Does it really work? The BOB edition - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Does it really work? The BOB edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
is that the stainless steel, Zippo lighter-looking heaters?????

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=mcafee&va=charcoal+hand+ warmers

well, the manly ones that i would choose are, anyway!!!

if so, then you are certainly correct, but they are quite a bit bulkier than the disposable "Hot Hands" packets.

you could also use the crystallization-type warmer. it's a liquid type substance until you "flex/bend" the metal disc inside the sealed packet..........it normally heats between 20 mins to 120 mins, dependin on exterior temperature. it is also rechargeable by boilin it in hot water.
Yes those are the ones I was referring to
thumbnail.jpg   acc128-640x457.jpg  

Old 09-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #112
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM View Post
Seconded. These are too erratic to depend on. I've had them function exactly as stated, really warm for about 10 minutes, then they drop to not warm enough to bother with.

The old school ones got almost too hot, and had a little brown wick-like thingy that needed replaced every so often, not sure how easy those are to find now.
The ones I have get way too hot by themselves. They actually have a thick, felt like mater, bag with a draw string to put them in for when they're in use.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Davyboy Likes This 
Old 09-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #113

Liked 2448 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Beware actual "waterproof" boots. You need boots that breathe.

Otherwise, your feet waterlog in their own sweat, and you're

nursing blistered feet for days, stuck in one spot, on your arse.

Many types of poly and synthetic rope and cord work great,

you just have to anneal the ends to keep it from unraveling.

Fire the end, allow it to melt for about 5 seconds, then crush.

Allow it to cool, then trim to size.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #114

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Regardless of the boot, get rid of your cotton socks. They don't wick moisture away from your feet. I use SmartWool socks, even for everyday use now, and they work great for helping keep my feet dry and blister free. Keep several pair in your kit and if they do get wet, dry your boots as best you can and change your socks out ASAP. They're other wool blend socks out there which work well just dont get a wool sock with a cotton blend.

People Like This 
Old 09-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #115

Liked 710 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I've used many of these type handwarmers when I existed in the frozen northland(Minnesota).
http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Hand-Warmers-Box-Pair/dp/B001G7QECY/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1347815933&sr=1-4
They work pretty good. Years ago we used Jon-E handwarmers like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Aladdin-Mfg-Co-Jon-E-Std-Hand-Warmer-78-Made-in-Mpls-Minn-/271058908456?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item3f1c5eb52 8
They used lighter fluid. And got HOT. If you are in a deer stand and it is 0 degrees anything that produces heat is your friend.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #116

Liked 2448 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

I've yet to find a canteen/cup better

than the army canteen/cup.

You can even boil water in the

1 Qt. cup, which makes it a nice addition to your

cooking gear.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #117

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Speaking of warmth, I had written to these guys a coupla years ago on such a product... They are brand new, and not inexpensive, but most reviews find them favorable. Condensation in a plastic bag makes you sick and cold! If you have a mylar reflective (space blanket) emergency bivvy already I would urge you to upgrade. If you were gonna rely solely on a space blanket, relegate it to a reflective ground cover or shawl. Note -- these bags are NOT XXL.

My Get Home/I'm Stranded for a While Bag, which is really what I'm talking about here, includes other warm-season gear like wool socks, a folds-into-its-own-pocket longsleved knitted-cuff nylon golf windbreaker, space blanket (stays in a separate hunting emergency belt pouch w/iodine pills, compass, mini-Bic lighter, whistle...), a nylon reinforced tarp/reflective (space) poncho with pockets plus a tube tent. There's a shovel and at least a military poncho-liner in the trunk. I am NOT freezing to death ANYwhere, at least not in the short term.

PS: this thread has WAY too much nonsense in it for a sticky IMO -- half of the posts could be eliminated and there'd still be too many by a few people.

escapebivvy1.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 09-18-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:12 AM   #118

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

http://www.survivalcampingstore.com/SOL-Escape-Bivvy

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #119
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

I think a cooking stove is important, as hot food keeps up morale and it can be used to purify water. However, when you have to carry fuel, these can become very impractical due to weight. So I finally ditched the expensive butane/propane stoves and went with this foldable stove in my BOB. Weighs only a pound, burns wood, paper, charcoal, rubber, Hexamine tablets or anything else you can scrounge to stoke it with. Protects against wind by design and folds flat, making it fit in very small places. Mine is steel and really takes a beating and I like the durability, even if a bit heavier. Heating times depend on fuel, but never had a problem boiling .5 quart of water in under 10 minutes.

This is durable, versatile, very thin and easy to store when folded, and affects food, water and morale. A great all-around tool!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #120

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
I think a cooking stove is important, as hot food keeps up morale and it can be used to purify water. However, when you have to carry fuel, these can become very impractical due to weight. So I finally ditched the expensive butane/propane stoves and went with this foldable stove in my BOB. Weighs only a pound, burns wood, paper, charcoal, rubber, Hexamine tablets or anything else you can scrounge to stoke it with. Protects against wind by design and folds flat, making it fit in very small places. Mine is steel and really takes a beating and I like the durability, even if a bit heavier. Heating times depend on fuel, but never had a problem boiling .5 quart of water in under 10 minutes.

This is durable, versatile, very thin and easy to store when folded, and affects food, water and morale. A great all-around tool!
I like your foldable stove I saw one of these many yrs ago and never saw them in my catalog anymore so I was led to believe they were gone . You can also take a aluminum can cut in half or tuna type can fill with rubbing alcohol, Heet in the yellow bottle , denatured alcohol or high proof liquor and put this in your folding stove for cleaner fuel sources . I think Im gonna order one of those today . Thanks for the link