Does it really work? The BOB edition - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Does it really work? The BOB edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Chemical hand warmer packets.

I have a question about those chemical foot/boot/pocket/hand warmers, for those times you might be forced to leave your car and hoof it in the rain/winter. I have had to do this once or twice in the past, (both times in the pouring PNW rain), it does not often gully wash here, but when it does, it ain't fun walking ten+ miles in the dark, after a break down on the freeway late at night. And trust me no one is going to pick me up, late at night, thumb out or not. (large grumpy looking, wet, black man in a poncho), and frankly I don't blame them.

Anyway I have seen these hand warmer packets advertised online, Amazon, Walmart and eBay. Would these be a decent thing to toss in to a backpack or glove box as well as a BOB?

Are there good ones vs bad ones out there?

Da Bear

Old 09-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #102

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkbear View Post
I have a question about those chemical foot/boot/pocket/hand warmers, for those times you might be forced to leave your car and hoof it in the rain/winter. I have had to do this once or twice in the past, (both times in the pouring PNW rain), it does not often gully wash here, but when it does, it ain't fun walking ten+ miles in the dark, after a break down on the freeway late at night. And trust me no one is going to pick me up, late at night, thumb out or not. (large grumpy looking, wet, black man in a poncho), and frankly I don't blame them.

Anyway I have seen these hand warmer packets advertised online, Amazon, Walmart and eBay. Would these be a decent thing to toss in to a backpack or glove box as well as a BOB?

Are there good ones vs bad ones out there?

Da Bear
Another PNW'er in the house!! Welcome!

I think this is something that requires some follow up. Let's see what the guys have in their kits.

Chemical Hand Warmers / Pocket Warmers - You guys are up!!

JD

Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #103

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

You can buy the charcoal burners do the same job and can be replenished with homemade charcoal

Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #104

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
You can buy the charcoal burners do the same job and can be replenished with homemade charcoal
Example? Do you have one you can test?

Old 09-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #105
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1982 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 592

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/SCHHS1/Schrade-Old-Timer-Honesteel-7-inch-Sharpening-Stone-Leather-Lanyard-and-Sheath
These work and the chisel end will cut through bone on animals. Great for quartering a deer or elk. Mine was made in the USA but it is about 30 years old.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 09-16-2012 at 01:29 AM.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #106
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In my experience the chemical hand warmers are worthless. They get half as hot as they claim and for half as long. I've got some old school ones that run on kerosene I think...Let me dig them out and I'll try to test them.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

TWMIM Likes This 
Old 09-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #107

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post

is that the stainless steel, Zippo lighter-looking heaters?????

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=mcafee&va=charcoal+hand+ warmers

well, the manly ones that i would choose are, anyway!!!

if so, then you are certainly correct, but they are quite a bit bulkier than the disposable "Hot Hands" packets.

you could also use the crystallization-type warmer. it's a liquid type substance until you "flex/bend" the metal disc inside the sealed packet..........it normally heats between 20 mins to 120 mins, dependin on exterior temperature. it is also rechargeable by boilin it in hot water.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

People Like This 
Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #108

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Keep (2) or (3) 35mm film canisters packed with 0000 steel wool to help start camp fires with the fire steel. Sparks from fire steel really get steel wool going good. Can use cotton balls clad with Vaseline if the cotton balls are 100% cotton but I find that I like the steel wool better.

I keep some matches and a Bic lighter or two but use the fire steel with 0000 steel wool most the time. Has worked well in most all conditions and locations for me.

Last edited by mrm14; 09-16-2012 at 02:21 AM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 09-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #109

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

i forgot to add that the charcoal heater gets really hot........if left in one place for too long.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-16-2012, 04:03 AM   #110

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
In my experience the chemical hand warmers are worthless. They get half as hot as they claim and for half as long. I've got some old school ones that run on kerosene I think...Let me dig them out and I'll try to test them.
Seconded. These are too erratic to depend on. I've had them function exactly as stated, really warm for about 10 minutes, then they drop to not warm enough to bother with.

The old school ones got almost too hot, and had a little brown wick-like thingy that needed replaced every so often, not sure how easy those are to find now.