Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Do you save your seeds ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 102 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Another thing to consider is that different plants have different requirements for saving viable seeds. For example, seeds picked out of a cucumber from the grocery store will not do much good- the cucumber is not ripe enough when we eat it to collect good seeds. Tomatoes have an interesting collection process as well involving fermentation. I am by no means an expert on the topic, but I have been trying to learn about how to properly collect seeds from my different heirlooms. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know

Old 07-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1968

Default Seed collection.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
Another thing to consider is that different plants have different requirements for saving viable seeds. For example, seeds picked out of a cucumber from the grocery store will not do much good- the cucumber is not ripe enough when we eat it to collect good seeds. Tomatoes have an interesting collection process as well involving fermentation. I am by no means an expert on the topic, but I have been trying to learn about how to properly collect seeds from my different heirlooms. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
My wife brought home a large vegatable salad from work, it staid in the fridge to long, I put the stuff in my worm bed, but I squeezed the cherry tomato's on top. 7 days later I have hundreds of plants growing. And no place to put them.....My hybrid jalapeno has set two peppers and quit growing. My sweet peppers from last year are still going strong and I hope to save some seeds from this years crop.....My pole beans I planted in the spring are still producing, That is if you like protien whith your beans... Worms

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 07-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #23

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum

My wife brought home a large vegatable salad from work, it staid in the fridge to long, I put the stuff in my worm bed, but I squeezed the cherry tomato's on top. 7 days later I have hundreds of plants growing. And no place to put them.....My hybrid jalapeno has set two peppers and quit growing. My sweet peppers from last year are still going strong and I hope to save some seeds from this years crop.....My pole beans I planted in the spring are still producing, That is if you like protien whith your beans... Worms
Mmm worm protein...

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #24

Liked 1109 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 1980

I have saved grape tomato seeds that are now 5 yrs old from my own crop and those things still grow like mad and they still taste terrific . No some things I have tried to plant never came up but some of the stuff does . All I know is Im keeping them no matter what if they dont come up it wasnt meant to be but I have had good luck with most of the stuff I have used. When our local dollar general store puts there left over seeds on sale I will swoop anything I can that edible and put them in a airtight container with some dessicant and put them in a large coffee can and put them in my stash . I should be able to pick them up for about .25 a pack when they close them out for the season

Old 07-09-2012, 03:15 AM   #25

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Man i got to this party late, I had the greatest one liner for this one

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #26

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Along with every thing else, how many of you can successfully graft trees.....I currently have ten trifoliata, or bastard orange trees that need grafting, from lemons to blood oranges and grape fruit, the problem is I'm not good at grafting..... I also have twenty pecan trees thanks to the crows and tree rats, these can also be grafted from trees already producing nuts.....
My father in law grafts trees. I have been picking his brain and watching when I can to learn it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #27

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
believe it or not, my grandmother use to boil up polk salad and she liked that stuff! i couldn't even stand the smell of it cooking. polk salad is one green that i can do without. i don't really care for spinach either, but will eat it long before i'll eat polk salad!
My wife's grandmother loves it. I've tried to acquire a taste for it and I will eat it if I"m good and hungry but I can not say I have nver looked forward to it..heh

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #28

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You could just get a ton of Spam. That stuff will out last man kind. It is the Kripton of food.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1968

Default Feed an army.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
You could just get a ton of Spam. That stuff will out last man kind. It is the Kripton of food.
Man I love that stuff, potato and spam stew with really good smoke sausage thrown in.... And people around here use it for catfish bait. Or another favorite is spam and eggs.....Hawaii is probably the largest consumer of Spam......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 07-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #30
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6656 Times on 4027 Posts
Likes Given: 7908

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Any of you guys have the beef heart tomato seeds, i haven't been able to find them any where......
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/Oxhearts/products/5/
People Like This