Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Do you save your seeds ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

All your prepping is in vain if you do not stock lots of salt, sugar, and vinegar. Without those items you cannot preserve any of the fruits, vegetables or meats. With the basics of salt, sugar, vinegar, and some spice you can either make jerky, or biltong, or can the meat so that it will keep forever. Same with fruits and garden veggies. Without the salt, sugar, and vinegar, when the fresh is off of it, the rest is spoiled.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Most of what we plant around here are from collected seeds. The seeds have been collected every year for many years going back to my wife's grandparents. I have bought some seeds but I usually wont even try to keep any of those for reasons stated earlier. Most of the bought seeds are just to see how they grow.
All of our fruit trees where grafted by my father in law to get whatever desired effect he's looking for. Some pretty cool trees I have to say. He usually gets these started off some very old trees that grow around property that his father owned.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8445 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Hock- will ride the High Horse down to the store. Rustle my cattle, we may try Long Pig.

Good points on salt, sugar, and vinegar. Can make my own vinegar (vineyard and small orchard) and usually have 100 lbs or so of salt (water softener)

Regarding hoe- mine had a letter E.

Seriously- folks that think they can live on meat are going to have a rude awakening. Besides the things we plant and grow, there are the things that grow naturally here. Ever look at the calories and oil content of walnuts and hickory nuts? Part of my AW CRAP! library includes some edible plant guides, and 3 of Euell Gibbons books. Blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and sloes for sure- but I also grew up eating Crecy Salad (dry land cress for those not from the South) and I LIKE it.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-04-2012, 04:13 AM   #14

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Knowing about edible plants that grow wild is a great thing to know. WE still make some interesting salads her in the summer. Lots of wild "greens" in these hills. I never liked polk though

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I never liked polk though
I've never met anyone that does? Its sort of like opossum. The recipe I always heard for that was nail a opossum to a piece board, put it in a pan with potatoes and onions, cook for three hours in the oven at 375. When done throw away the opossum and eat the board.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1744 Times on 1259 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default Heirloom seeds....

Any of you guys have the beef heart tomato seeds, i haven't been able to find them any where......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 07-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1744 Times on 1259 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default The day after........

Along with every thing else, how many of you can successfully graft trees.....I currently have ten trifoliata, or bastard orange trees that need grafting, from lemons to blood oranges and grape fruit, the problem is I'm not good at grafting..... I also have twenty pecan trees thanks to the crows and tree rats, these can also be grafted from trees already producing nuts.....

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 07-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #18

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 731

For you seed savers: http://howtosaveseeds.com/

Old 07-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20055 Times on 11407 Posts
Likes Given: 50598

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Knowing about edible plants that grow wild is a great thing to know. WE still make some interesting salads her in the summer. Lots of wild "greens" in these hills. I never liked polk though
believe it or not, my grandmother use to boil up polk salad and she liked that stuff! i couldn't even stand the smell of it cooking. polk salad is one green that i can do without. i don't really care for spinach either, but will eat it long before i'll eat polk salad!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #20

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

believe it or not, my grandmother use to boil up polk salad and she liked that stuff! i couldn't even stand the smell of it cooking. polk salad is one green that i can do without. i don't really care for spinach either, but will eat it long before i'll eat polk salad!
We have that stuff growing everywhere here, my grandparents and great grandparents liked it, its to bitter for me.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis